North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 To alarm or not to alarm.... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/201875-to-alarm-or-not-to-alarm.html)

Ryanzak 01-01-2011 01:45 PM

To alarm or not to alarm....

Are many of you ordering the mini alarm system? I've been thinking about it but haven't made up my mind... Seems kind of redundant is some ways, but it would be protected better I guess.. Anyone know how the system works when you have Comfort access? $500 bones is a bit steep.. for 250 more i could have the nav... but have no use for the nav, but it could be fun to play with..

Whatcha think?

Rixter 01-01-2011 01:54 PM

For me I say skip it. A smash a grabs occur in less than 30 seconds whether an alarm is going off or not is not going to make any difference.

dannyhavok 01-01-2011 02:27 PM

I agree, car alarms are a waste of money unless your insurance company cuts you a break for having it installed or something. The best defense is making your car look like it's not worth breaking into: leave it empty, pop open the glove box. There's nothing left in my car but a squeegee and a tube of armor-all wipes.

old81 01-01-2011 05:34 PM

I passed on the alarm on my 2007, but on our R60 I went with it.

Might be helpful, might not!

TunaBall 01-01-2011 05:48 PM

Yeah, it's a tough one. Personally the feature I like is the motion sensor. (I assume it still has that but I didn't check.) Nice to be able to leave the windows down on a summer day but still have the alarm armed in case someone tries to reach in mess with stuff. I had the alarm on my 03, and ordered it again with the Countryman.

I can only think of one situation where it went off. I left the window open and went into Moe's for a burrito an watched a guy through the window reach in and try to grap my iPod as a joke to his friends. It was pretty great when the alarm went off as soon as he got his hand in the window.

Worth $500? I'm not sure, but I've appreciated having it. You could likely get as much functionality out of a little red flashing light...

I also have comfort access. I'm not sure how it all works together, hopefully I'll be able to see on Monday!

magpullin 01-01-2011 07:42 PM

My insurance said I'd get a $6.00 discount per year for an alarm. Not quite cost effective so I passed.

travelkids 01-01-2011 08:16 PM

Since I take road trips across the country and sometimes like to leave my cars with stuff in them, I would go with an alarm. But the super dark tint on the back windows probably does more good than the alarm!

inimini2007 01-02-2011 11:40 AM

Why would anyone steal a MINI?...I live in Jersey City...never had a problem of vandalism, stolen car, or parts...

We are not in high demand...nobody is going to steal a stereo that no one knows how to use...they steal your car (one of a kind), it sticks out like a sore thumb...besides your car engine cuts out w/o the fob.:thumbsup:

less2 01-02-2011 12:16 PM

I went back and forth with this same issue with my 08 MCS. I didn't get the alarm, I figured if they wanted to steal it, they would have to tow it. With out the FOB you really can't do any thing to the car and I keep the windows up in the summer.

magpullin 01-02-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by inimini2007 (Post 3184700)
Why would anyone steal a MINI?...I live in Jersey City...never had a problem of vandalism, stolen car, or parts...

We are not in high demand...nobody is going to steal a stereo that no one knows how to use...they steal your car (one of a kind), it sticks out like a sore thumb...besides your car engine cuts out w/o the fob.:thumbsup:

These were my thoughts too. The wheels are unique too and thus not likely to be a target.

Midtown Brown 01-03-2011 08:41 PM

My cars have been broken into more times than I can count, and I don't recall the alarm being of any use whatsoever, so I skipped it this time. Wevwere so loaded up on accessories, something had to go.