R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions

Hello all,

First off, I live in the USA, and I have owned two Cooper S Minis, a 2003 (Green/Black) and a 2007 (Green/White). I am very knowledgeable about Minis and also the Countryman.

In March, I made a big mistake, I traded in my Mini for a 2009 Ford Edge Sport. I wanted a bigger vehicle good for long trips, and I thought the Edge would suit me well. Unfortunately not, it has had numerous annoying issues (I have to keep taking it back to the dealer, and Ford dealers suck!), and it's a gas hog in city traffic. I am really beginning to hate this car.

Two days ago I was able to experience a Cooper S Countryman in person at Passport Mini in Alexandria, Virginia. The wife and I loved it, even though we did not get to drive it. The size is perfect, it seems well built, and I actually like the looks better than the regular Minis.

I have been playing with the UK configurator, and have the US price sheet, trying to come up with a configuration I can justify. I want this thing to last for the long-term and not be too expensive. Now I have some questions for y'all. These are questions the salesman at the Mini dealer could not answer.

WHEELS/TIRES:

1) How dark are the Anthracite Turbofan wheels? From this picture they look very dark, but in the configurator not so dark:
http://www.oxfordmini.co.uk/dealers/45/gallery/image_apreqYnj3eh.jpeg

2) Are the Black 18" Double Spoke wheels worth the extra several hundred dollars? I would prefer black 18", but might go aftermarket to get them.

3) For USA spec, are all-season tires available for the 18" rims?

INTERIOR:

4) The salesman indicated to me that a green leather interior is available for the Countryman. He showed me a sample, and I was very surprised. He said he seen it in person in a Countryman and it looked nice, according to him. Does anyone have a picture of this interior?

DRIVE-TRAIN:

5) Is the non-S Countryman that much of a slow dog? I would consider getting one if the 0-60 was about 8 seconds, but the times I have seen were much worse. I can't believe Mini would put out such a slow model! Is it really true? Anyone seen better times?

6) I am considering All-4 AWD for winter driving in case I move to a snow-heavy area sometime in the future. However, I would probably just get snow tires, and my old Mini went great in the snow with Blizzaks and FWD. Can anyone here justify All-4 because it seems very unnecessary if you are willing to put on snow tires.

FINANCING:

7) Anyone been able to land a sweet financing deal (such as 0.9%) on a Countryman?

MISC:

Also, these are absolute do-not-want features for me:

A) Sunroof: Had problems in both previous Minis and my Edge. No more sunroofs!
B) GPS/Mini Connected: I am a techie, and a Software Engineer, but my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth seems to serve the purpose of in-dash GPS and Mini Connected. Waste of money and more potential problems.
C) Racing stripes: They get blemished with time and need to be replaced. Plus the stripes on a Countryman do not look as cool.
D) Full-length center rail: looks ridiculous and serves no good purpose.

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some good feedback!
Eric

Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
My wife went with the Absolute Black-On-Black S ALL4 w/ Red Interior Trim including the Seats.

She wanted the 17" Black Wheels...18" looks good, but would get bent in the NYC Area.

Can I justify the ALL 4 Wheel Drive Option? Yes...It's called a wife.

Needs: Automatic Transmission, Heated Seats, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Two Half Rails, Anthracite Headliner, HK System, and Flat Floor.

Hates: Sunroof $1000, Mini Connected $1700, Automatic AC $1000...etc

This will be our 4th MINI since 2007.

My wife has an 07 CR MCSa (R52) and an 07 PW/B MCSa (R56). We just gave back the 08 LB MCC (R55). We are trading in the R56 for the R60. My wife owns all the MINIs...I just go along to drive the car for her leisure at the rallies.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
Hey Eric, I'll answer what I can.

Originally Posted by murphye@gmail.com
2) Are the Black 18" Double Spoke wheels worth the extra several hundred dollars? I would prefer black 18", but might go aftermarket to get them.
I really liked them so I ordered them. Generally speaking you can always get lighter, better looking wheels for less aftermarket. Given that I'm getting one of the first few, I decided the security of going all dealer made sense for me.

3) For USA spec, are all-season tires available for the 18" rims?
Nope. I included it in my order, but the system wouldn't allow them to order it that way.

4) The salesman indicated to me that a green leather interior is available for the Countryman. He showed me a sample, and I was very surprised. He said he seen it in person in a Countryman and it looked nice, according to him. Does anyone have a picture of this interior?
If I remember right, there were other MINIs at the dealer that had the green leather. In the right car, it could be pretty amazing. I went with the Lounge Leather Black.

5) Is the non-S Countryman that much of a slow dog? I would consider getting one if the 0-60 was about 8 seconds, but the times I have seen were much worse. I can't believe Mini would put out such a slow model! Is it really true? Anyone seen better times?
This one is all about perspective. They sell a lot less powerful MINIs in Europe like crazy. Seems to me if you are asking the questions about 0-60 times you shouldn't waste your time with the non-S.

B) GPS/Mini Connected: I am a techie, and a Software Engineer, but my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth seems to serve the purpose of in-dash GPS and Mini Connected. Waste of money and more potential problems.
Totally understand the perspective, for me, MINI Connected seems amazing. I really like the idea that instead of being stuck with the capabilities that ship with the car, I can update an iPhone app and get new capabilities on the fly. I also love that they are understanding that the iPhone is a great way to get a data connection in the car. I did skip the Nav since my iPhone/iPad serve me well there.

D) Full-length center rail: looks ridiculous and serves no good purpose.
Yes, if you feel that way, then it is silly. For me, I love the accessories and the full length rail is a feature I'm excited about. I want to be able to mount my iPhone and iPad, have a phone holder for passengers, and have access to as many cup holders as I want. It will be interesting to see how it all works in real life.

Lots of good questions Eric, (BTW, I'm an Eric too!) I'm sure a countryman will be a significant step up from your Ford!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Originally Posted by inimini2007
My wife went with the Absolute Black-On-Black S ALL4 w/ Red Interior Trim including the Seats.

She wanted the 17" Black Wheels...18" looks good, but would get bent in the NYC Area.

Can I justify the ALL 4 Wheel Drive Option? Yes...It's called a wife.

Needs: Automatic Transmission, Heated Seats, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Two Half Rails, Anthracite Headliner, HK System, and Flat Floor.

Hates: Sunroof $1000, Mini Connected $1700, Automatic AC $1000...etc

This will be our 4th MINI since 2007.

My wife has an 07 CR MCSa (R52) and an 07 PW/B MCSa (R56). We just gave back the 08 LB MCC (R55). We are trading in the R56 for the R60. My wife owns all the MINIs...I just go along to drive the car for her leisure at the rallies.
Thanks for the feedback! Wow, you are sure a Miniac couple!

Eric

Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TunaBall
Hey Eric, I'll answer what I can.

I really liked them so I ordered them. Generally speaking you can always get lighter, better looking wheels for less aftermarket. Given that I'm getting one of the first few, I decided the security of going all dealer made sense for me.

Nope. I included it in my order, but the system wouldn't allow them to order it that way.

If I remember right, there were other MINIs at the dealer that had the green leather. In the right car, it could be pretty amazing. I went with the Lounge Leather Black.

This one is all about perspective. They sell a lot less powerful MINIs in Europe like crazy. Seems to me if you are asking the questions about 0-60 times you shouldn't waste your time with the non-S.

Totally understand the perspective, for me, MINI Connected seems amazing. I really like the idea that instead of being stuck with the capabilities that ship with the car, I can update an iPhone app and get new capabilities on the fly. I also love that they are understanding that the iPhone is a great way to get a data connection in the car. I did skip the Nav since my iPhone/iPad serve me well there.

Yes, if you feel that way, then it is silly. For me, I love the accessories and the full length rail is a feature I'm excited about. I want to be able to mount my iPhone and iPad, have a phone holder for passengers, and have access to as many cup holders as I want. It will be interesting to see how it all works in real life.

Lots of good questions Eric, (BTW, I'm an Eric too!) I'm sure a countryman will be a significant step up from your Ford!
Thanks for your reply.

I find it disappointing that they are not offering high performance 18" all-seasons. I live in the D.C. area where snow tires are not necessary but there is some Winter weather on occasion. I did notice that TireRack is now offering 18" run-flat Blizzaks, but they are over $200 per tire (non run-flat are like $180). Not worth the investment as long as I am living here.

Man, I need to track down a picture of this green leather interior. I am very curious, but I think the cloth/leather combo is probably the smartest choice. I would think Green/Black with Green leather interior has the potential to look pretty awesome, however.

Enjoy your Black/Black Countryman! When does it come in?

Eric

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM
TunaBall
3rd Gear
Enjoy your Black/Black Countryman! When does it come in?
Thanks Eric! It is scheduled to be completed today, then the wait for shipping. Hopefully we'll see it before Christmas.

Eric

Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
TruMini
3rd Gear
I found a small photo of the green interior on the MINIUSA site - I designed a Cooper S and it was listed as an option - looks pretty cool!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TruMini
I found a small photo of the green interior on the MINIUSA site - I designed a Cooper S and it was listed as an option - looks pretty cool!
Thanks for the tip. The rumor is the Countryman configurator is going to be available on the 15th, so we'll see if green is an option there.

I can't imagine very many people have ordered the green leather... would definitely be "different"...

Eric

Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
They had a green interior on an orange MINI at the Chicago
motorcross event MTTS. Color good on the seats but NOT with
an orange car.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
chakram105
3rd Gear
Here are some pics of the green leather seats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motorin...7624571720263/

Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chakram105
Here are some pics of the green leather seats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motorin...7624571720263/
Thanks... yeah, I dunno if I like that shade of green very much. Maybe in a gray or silver car it would be OK.

I am waiting for the USA configurator to come online before I make any decisions...

Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
A little off topc: I hope the launch year is the only year for a 1.6 in the R60. At 2.0 liter for the R60 and for any JCW model would really make sense. From the White Roof Radio guys, a Cooper R60 is just horrible, especially with an auto. I really liked this vehicle seeing them at MITM/MTTS this year but the engine choices make me look elsewhere. Also, I would get MINI Connected/NAV just for the possibilities.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Well I am getting closer to making a decision. It looks like we may be relocating from D.C. to Charlottesville, VA, so we may spring for the AWD afterall to help negotiate the winter out there in the hills.

Definitely going with Green/Black and Dark Tobacco/Black cloth/leather interior.

Specs out at $33,717 plus tax, etc. In my opinion, very pricey, but will hold it's value well and I intend to drive the thing for years to come.

I can see how people are hitting $38k in the configurator, as all of these options are very expensive. $750 for the upgraded speakers is ridiculous. I swear when I bought my first Mini in 2003 the options were not nearly this much of a rip off.

Nevertheless, will let you guys know when/if I get it ordered, but it's likely to happen soon after I get my new job assignment.

Eric

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what I would be ordering. Comments?

2011 Cooper S Countryman ALL4

Base MSRP* $27,650.00
Oxford Green Body Color $500.00
Anthracite Headliner $250.00
Center Console & Door Trim in Dark Anthracite STD
Dark Tobacco Color Line INCL
Door Panel in Carbon Black INCL
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Two-Part Center Rail $0.00
Chrome Line Exterior $250.00
Chrome Mirror Caps INCL
Rear-mounted Bike Rack Prep STD
Roof Rails STD
White Turn Signals $100.00
Black Roof/Mirrors $0.00
Center Arm Rest $250.00
Heated Front Seats $500.00
Leather/Cloth: Light Tobacco $1,000.00
Sport Seats STD

PERFORMANCE
6-Speed Automatic with Paddle Shifters $1,250.00
Start/Stop Button STD
7 Airbags w/Side Curtain System STD
ALL4 All Wheel Drive System STD
Dynamic Stability Control STD
Dynamic Traction Control STD
Sport Button STD
Front Fog Lamps STD
Heated Mirrors & Washer Jets $100.00
Xenon Headlamps $500.00
17" Tunnel Spoke Anthracite $0.00
All Season Tires $0.00

INSTRUMENTS
AC & Air Filter STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD
HD Radio STD
Harman/Kardon Sound System $750.00
SIRIUS Satellite Radio STD
Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter $500.00
On-Board Computer STD
MSRP w/Factory Options $33,600.00

MINI MOTORING ACCESSORIES**
Black Carpet Floor Mats (4) $117.00

Total As Configured
$33,717.00

I wanted to get 18" wheels, but these wheels look pretty nice and I can get all-season tires. Not too happy about the skinny 205 width tires, but I can always upgrade the wheels/tires later in life.

I am open to other suggestions for the interior to go with the green/black exterior.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions-my_mini_brochure-2.jpg   ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions-my_mini_brochure-3.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
old81
M6
Nice set of options....

I was wondering if a nice set of 225s would work for the summer?

Let us know when you get into the order queue.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
How about heated seats?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Sorry...I saw it...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
I drove down to Richmond, VA and placed my order today. I decided to order at that dealer since I will be moving to Charlottesville, and will have my car serviced there in Richmond. It is a very small Mini dealer.

I am likely to be the first paying Countryman customer at that dealer.

After tax and title, etc, the damage will be $35k. I hope this car is worth it!

Eric

Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
TruMini
3rd Gear
Congratulations Murphy!!
Or should I say Mrs. Murphy!

Old 11-25-2010, 03:52 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I drove down to Richmond, VA and placed my order today. I decided to order at that dealer since I will be moving to Charlottesville, and will have my car serviced there in Richmond. It is a very small Mini dealer.

I am likely to be the first paying Countryman customer at that dealer.

After tax and title, etc, the damage will be $35k. I hope this car is worth it!

Eric
Congrats Eric!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
murphye@gmail.com
1st Gear
Attached a UK configurator rendering of what I ordered. I had to tweak the wheels in image editor to get them to look how they do in real life (they were too light).

Mine is still On Order, but hope to get in about 6 weeks!

Eric

Attached Thumbnails ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions-mini_side.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
A little off topc: I hope the launch year is the only year for a 1.6 in the R60. At 2.0 liter for the R60 and for any JCW model would really make sense. From the White Roof Radio guys, a Cooper R60 is just horrible, especially with an auto. I really liked this vehicle seeing them at MITM/MTTS this year but the engine choices make me look elsewhere. Also, I would get MINI Connected/NAV just for the possibilities.

They were referring to a non-turbo R60 being slow and being a waste of money. The turbo is the choice.

Last edited by 03mini-S; 12-12-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jewitcher
They had a green interior on an orange MINI at the Chicago
motorcross event MTTS. Color good on the seats but NOT with
an orange car.

that's a pre-production vehicle and that color will not be available in production models.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for a very helpful thread.

Having been through several MINIs myself, I have my own likes and dislikes...but it's more about wants and needs for me. Do I rationalize the iPod/Bluetooth connector deal again? I wonder if anyone who has it can tell me if one still needs to yell at the voice controls sometimes? There is a great post somewhere on this site in which an owner who has this option on one of his MINIs describes himself as seen by others as he is driving down the road yelling "to himself" as he uses the bluetooth connection to access his stored numbers.

I had a sunroof on my '04 and really liked it except for the overhead glare from the sun... i understand the glass has improved, but will probably not order the sunroof due to the expense.

inimini2007, thank you for your defining post! Now I have the full picture.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Super Excited...just ordered Black/White

I've been a Mini fan since I bought my Cooper S in 2008. My only problem has been wishing I had just a bit more capacity for hauling a few things, but I've never been a fan of the Clubman's look. I just ordered an All4 Countryman, expecting delivery in mid-Feb. Convenience II, Cold Weather, Premium pkgs, Nav, Xenons + adaptive, Leather lounge black upholstery, anthracite headliner. I'm really excited! Just a little sad about trading in my Cooper S for it. I hope I'll love this one as much as I've loved the Cooper S.

Quick Reply: R60 ex-Mini owner considering a Countryman; Some questions