R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Countryman review

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Countryman review

Already posted this in the news section, but thought maybe this was the best place! (I didn't see there was even this category..sheesh, I'm used to only scrolling down to 2nd gen and stopping!)

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I just saw this: http://autos.aol.com/article/2011-mi...tryman-review/

and thought it was a nice review of how the countryman actual handles. Plus it's got some good shots of the interior. I also agree whole-heartedly with the first paragraph.

I just hope they updated the ipod interface to be more user-friendly....
Also, I read in this article that the US models will only have a 4-seater option, not the 5-seater bench option? Anyone know anything about this?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
Also, I read in this article that the US models will only have a 4-seater option, not the 5-seater bench option? Anyone know anything about this?
That's what I've heard too from several sources.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"Like all other Minis, the Countryman has a Sport mode that tightens up the steering rack, improves the throttle response and stiffens the suspension to provide a more engaging feel on the road. But unlike the smaller Cooper, Sport mode isn't nearly as crashy on city streets or broken pavement..."

Oh brother.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
^ haha I thought that was funny also.

MCSFanboy, thanks for the input! I have seen varying things on different websites, so I just wasn't sure what the US models would have exactly. I'm curious though, if they're trying to expand into a bigger market (i.e. soccer mom crossovers), why wouldn't they allow a 5 seater bench option in the US? Seems like it might turn off some people with kids. Maybe something to do with the safety specs in the US?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
I'm curious though, if they're trying to expand into a bigger market (i.e. soccer mom crossovers), why wouldn't they allow a 5 seater bench option in the US? Seems like it might turn off some people with kids. Maybe something to do with the safety specs in the US?
IMO: American adults are too fat and so are their kids

Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Already posted this in the news section, but thought maybe this was the best place! (I didn't see there was even this category..sheesh, I'm used to only scrolling down to 2nd gen and stopping!)

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I just saw this: http://autos.aol.com/article/2011-mi...tryman-review/

and thought it was a nice review of how the countryman actual handles. Plus it's got some good shots of the interior. I also agree whole-heartedly with the first paragraph.

I just hope they updated the ipod interface to be more user-friendly....
I'm kind of on the fence with this whole Countryman thing. But I gotta say, in black that looks pretty cool.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
I'm kind of on the fence with this whole Countryman thing. But I gotta say, in black that looks pretty cool.
I agree it looks killer in black.

However, I also think the 1.6L in a +3,100 pound vehicle will be anemic. I'm thinking this vehicle should have a BMW 2.0 with a turbo for the S and a twin-turbo for a JCW/WRX version with at least +300HP. Now my blood boils .

Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
^ haha I thought that was funny also.

MCSFanboy, thanks for the input! I have seen varying things on different websites, so I just wasn't sure what the US models would have exactly. I'm curious though, if they're trying to expand into a bigger market (i.e. soccer mom crossovers), why wouldn't they allow a 5 seater bench option in the US? Seems like it might turn off some people with kids. Maybe something to do with the safety specs in the US?
Yeah, I would guess DOT is the issue.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MCSfanboy
I agree it looks killer in black.

However, I also think the 1.6L in a +3,100 pound vehicle will be anemic. I'm thinking this vehicle should have a BMW 2.0 with a turbo for the S and a twin-turbo for a JCW/WRX version with at least +300HP. Now my blood boils .
+1

maybe in the awd coupe i

Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCSfanboy

I agree. Aren't they planning on racing the countryman in WRC? What motor are they putting in that?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
Aren't they planning on racing the countryman in WRC? What motor are they putting in that?
A MINI blog claims, "The MINI Countryman WRC will be powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine." http://www.zercustoms.com/news/MINI-...RC-Teaser.html

Here's the most recent picture of it being tested: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/09/m...sting-for-wrc/

Old 09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
"Like all other Minis, the Countryman has a Sport mode that tightens up the steering rack, improves the throttle response and stiffens the suspension to provide a more engaging feel on the road. But unlike the smaller Cooper, Sport mode isn't nearly as crashy on city streets or broken pavement..."

Oh brother.
yea, "journalists" often say stuff they have no clue about. I see it pretty often in regards to a MINI.