Drivetrain Aftermarket clutch assembly for R60 ALL4

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM
limey222
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket clutch assembly for R60 ALL4

Hi, I hope that this is the correct place to ask this question.

Do any of you have an aftermarket clutch assembly in installed in your Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4? Something that has eliminated the problem OEM assembly and still retained an acceptable everyday road experience?

Old 12-13-2019, 07:12 AM
V420386
Neutral
Clutch Masters FX400

Disclaimer: I do NOT work for/with Clutch Masters, I have no personal vested interest in anyone purchasing their products.

Not sure of your mods if any, I'm running a Manic Stage 2 with the necessary upgrades. About 10k miles ago I had to put in a new clutch, went with a stock clutch and aftermarket lightweight single price aluminum flywheel from AASCO because I got a great deal. It would have worked well if not for the power upgrades. Last week I had to put in a new clutch because it was slipping pretty dang bad, the friction material was completely worn off. In a pinch I went with a Clutch Master's FX400 6-puck ceramic sprung clutch and their 24lb steel flywheel, works great. The stock clutch disk is rigid with a dual-mass flywheel to soak up the vibrations. After running a rigid disk clutch with a one piece flywheel the sprung FX400 feels pretty great. No issues holding power so far. The website alleges it can hold 415ft-lbs of torque 🤷‍♂️ we'll see.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Urbanr60
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V420386
Disclaimer: I do NOT work for/with Clutch Masters, I have no personal vested interest in anyone purchasing their products.

Not sure of your mods if any, I'm running a Manic Stage 2 with the necessary upgrades. About 10k miles ago I had to put in a new clutch, went with a stock clutch and aftermarket lightweight single price aluminum flywheel from AASCO because I got a great deal. It would have worked well if not for the power upgrades. Last week I had to put in a new clutch because it was slipping pretty dang bad, the friction material was completely worn off. In a pinch I went with a Clutch Master's FX400 6-puck ceramic sprung clutch and their 24lb steel flywheel, works great. The stock clutch disk is rigid with a dual-mass flywheel to soak up the vibrations. After running a rigid disk clutch with a one piece flywheel the sprung FX400 feels pretty great. No issues holding power so far. The website alleges it can hold 415ft-lbs of torque 🤷‍♂️ we'll see.
Bring back the dead thread, do you still post or own the countryman, I've been advised that I'll be wanting to replace my clutch kit soon since I have 80k on the clock, and also told that there were no good reliable clutches on the market other than the oem set up for driving daily and occasional spirited driving. (Driving daily as in, to and from work without traffic)

Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 PM
2012_R60
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanr60
Bring back the dead thread, do you still post or own the countryman, I've been advised that I'll be wanting to replace my clutch kit soon since I have 80k on the clock, and also told that there were no good reliable clutches on the market other than the oem set up for driving daily and occasional spirited driving. (Driving daily as in, to and from work without traffic)
I had to replace both clutch and gearbox at only 40k miles Last year. I had it done at my local mini dealer cause BMW gave me a Goodwill repair. From what I understand the clutch in the countryman was subpar because of the weight of the car initially. From a certain year onward they started only using the JCW clutch that can handle more power/weight. That’s the clutch they installed on my car as well.

if you don’t have any serious mods maybe that would be the best route. The vendors here are very knowledgeable. Try contacting them directly.

Urbanr60 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM
kidwuf
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring back the dead thread, do you still post or own the countryman, I've been advised that I'll be wanting to replace my clutch kit soon since I have 80k on the clock, and also told that there were no good reliable clutches on the market other than the OEM set up for driving daily and occasional spirited driving. (Driving daily as in, to and from work without traffic)
There are quite a few reliable clutch assemblies out there for the Countryman (base/S/JCW/Tuned). It all just depends on what you need. If you are wanting to stay stock with the dual mass flywheel then the OEM clutch assembly is really one of the best for that. If you are wanting a single mass flywheel for the quicker RPM response and are stock otherwise then either the basic JMTC or Valeo clutch single mass kit are good options. Then of course there are the higher stage options out there that will definitely be better than stock at dealing with the Countryman, and some are as easy to drive with as stock (JMTC clutch comes to mind).

Originally Posted by 2012_R60
The vendors here are very knowledgeable. Try contacting them directly.
Always a good idea.

Last edited by kidwuf; 05-18-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Urbanr60 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Urbanr60
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kidwuf
There are quite a few reliable clutch assemblies out there for the Countryman (base/S/JCW/Tuned). It all just depends on what you need. If you are wanting to stay stock with the dual mass flywheel then the OEM clutch assembly is really one of the best for that. If you are wanting a single mass flywheel for the quicker RPM response and are stock otherwise then either the basic JMTC or Valeo clutch single mass kit are good options. Then of course there are the higher stage options out there that will definitely be better than stock at dealing with the Countryman, and some are as easy to drive with as stock (JMTC clutch comes to mind).

Always a good idea.
Thank you for that, I will be looking into it soon, mine drives fine now, no slipping or anything at the moment, but I always like to plan ahead. I've been seeing it's a costly installation for the all4's in particularly, so if I can secure a clutch setup, I can save for the install. So thanks again!

Old 05-18-2020, 02:43 PM
V420386
Neutral
The Clutch Masters clutch is still holding up well, being a ceramic 6 puck it makes some chatter upon engagement in 1st and reverse. The FX250 may be better for your application, it handles less power than the 400 but is designed to slip more upon engagement to help with smooth take offs (so I've been told). I do not have any personal experience with any otherbother currently.

Urbanr60 (05-18-2020)