Drivetrain What Mods do my fellow R60 Countryman S have/suggest

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Cowman369
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Mods do my fellow R60 Countryman S have/suggest

So I'm looking at upgrading several things on my Mini Cooper S R60 Countryman. I would like to know what upgrades you all have, and the order you did them in if your on a limited budget like I am. From what I read so far I think I want to do a stage 2 tune because it won't require any forged internals, just bolt on accessories.

What I had planned on doing, and the order I planned on in are:
1.NM Engineering intake
2.Helix Intercooler
3.Exhaust(not sure what though, open for openions)
4.Catless Downpipe
5.M7 Stage 2 Tune

The reason I'm doing the tune and downpipe last is because I dont want to see the check engine light when I drive, and I dont think it will run exactly right without it.

Is there anything I'm missing from this or are there any different options you would recommend. I'm thinking of just doing a second cat and resonator delete and keeping the stock exhaust, but am unsure. Also please excuse my spelling.😁

Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would skip on the intake as they are expensive and just suck hot engine compartment air, but do give you the turbo sound. So if you still wanted one go cheap like the DDM street
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...et-intake.html

As for Intercooler I like the forge
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

but the wagner is a little cheaper and will still work well
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wagner...7-r58-r59.html

Either way the Intercooler is a must have.

With a catless downpipe the car will get much louder so I would actually do that before doing anything with the exhaust as you don't want it too loud. We actually recently did a milltek catless with a borla rear muffler and it sounded good, but was still pretty loud.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/r60-co...a-exhaust.html

but you could also go with the Akrapovic downpipe since it's 100cel cat it would be quieter https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

Then we can also provide you a Manic tune and offer same day return shipping as we tune them as soon as we get them.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/manic-...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM
Cowman369
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
With a catless downpipe the car will get much louder so I would actually do that before doing anything with the exhaust as you don't want it too loud. We actually recently did a milltek catless with a borla rear muffler and it sounded good, but was still pretty loud.
The borla is just the cat back correct? So you left the second cat and the resonator and used the catless downpipe? Or did you remove the second cat and resonator as well? I'm asking cause I'm wondering if just removing the second cat and resonator be as beneficial as installing a downpipe. I'm not a mechanic by any means, that just makes since to me.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:04 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I have done a couple hundred Countyman’s including my own I have a ton of ideas send me an email if you would like to know more
MarioPalza@gmail.com

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM
7P7
Neutral
Smile R60 JCW Tune by mQuebed

Very recently had my R60 JCW tuned by MarioKart. Process, support, and the end product all were/are fantastic. As many of you know, the R60 JCW is a bit of an aberration - and probably isn't what most people expect in terms of JCW performance. Post-Tune, however, it's exactly what you would have expected from the factory. Lots of tractable performance. The tune completely transformed the car into something you actually look forward to driving. The fact that Mario is prompt, professional, very knowledgeable and actually listens - all while delivering on his product is pretty unique. The signal to noise ratio on forums regarding tunes, and their effectiveness is very high - but Mario delivers. GIve him a call or reach out here, you will not be disappointed. Sidenote - the candy is a nice bonus!

Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Cowman369
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 7P7
Very recently had my R60 JCW tuned by MarioKart. Process, support, and the end product all were/are fantastic. As many of you know, the R60 JCW is a bit of an aberration - and probably isn't what most people expect in terms of JCW performance. Post-Tune, however, it's exactly what you would have expected from the factory. Lots of tractable performance. The tune completely transformed the car into something you actually look forward to driving. The fact that Mario is prompt, professional, very knowledgeable and actually listens - all while delivering on his product is pretty unique. The signal to noise ratio on forums regarding tunes, and their effectiveness is very high - but Mario delivers. GIve him a call or reach out here, you will not be disappointed. Sidenote - the candy is a nice bonus!
Actually I have been in contact with him the past two days. He is very knowledgeable, informed me on way more than I expected, and I'm sure there's lots more he can tell me. I'm mor than likely going to use some of his products. 👍

Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I have a 2012 R60 and out of necessity when I needed to replace my turbo I upgraded to a 40mm compressor (like the JCW), at the same time I added the resonator delete hose on the cold side of the turbo, and a CNT racing catless downpipe. For the intake, I made my own with a cone filter and the stock airbox to keep some cooler air flowing to it(lidless), it made a small improvement in low end power, but not a ton, but it sounds great, lol. Still need to delete the 2nd cat, I’m undecided about the resonator. I have a DV+ on the way, and Mario is going to tune it with stage 3 RPM pretty soon. If I was made of $ I would have done the FMIC when I did the turbo, but I’m not, lol. Besides we have pretty mild temps up on the Pacific Northwest, so I can sneak by for a little while without it according to Mario.
Just do the DP, all you’ll get is the one little light, and no negative performance, and they sound pretty nice when you get on it afterward :-) and you will only have to deal with it until you are tuned.
Good luck and let us know how you go with it..... with pics!

Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Oh yeah, be careful, because once you start..... well you know

Old 07-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Cowman369
1st Gear
Here's my exhaust, magnaflow where the 2nd cat and resonator use to be, and 4" tips. Sounds great! Should have come like this stock.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cowman369
Here's my exhaust, magnaflow where the 2nd cat and resonator use to be, and 4" tips. Sounds great! Should have come like this stock.
got any sound clips? It looks nice. I’ve been considering using one of those Magnaflow resonator/mufflers instead of just straight pipe for my 2nd cat/resonator delete. But I still have the stock muffler. Do you get any drone? I’ll bet the pops and burbles sound awesome!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Cowman369
1st Gear
There is a little drone at 42mph just under 2000rpm, but it's not bad. I dont have a catless downpipe yet though. I'm unsure how to post a video, so if you give me your email I can send it that way

Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Ok.... that exhaust sounds pretty sweet!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Cowman369
There is a little drone at 42mph just under 2000rpm, but it's not bad. I dont have a catless downpipe yet though. I'm unsure how to post a video, so if you give me your email I can send it that way
that was quick. The downpipe will add a about 5-10% volume increas during light driving and 20-30% when the medal is to the floor and above 5K

Last edited by MarioKart; 07-24-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart

that was quick. The downpipe will add a abokt 5-10% volume during light driving and 20-30% more than the medal is too the floor and above 5K
It has a nice tone, it will sound awesome with the downpipe

Old 08-06-2018, 05:13 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
You will love the tune! Mario tuned mine and it’s a completely different car! The turbo added power, but didn’t exactly want to play well at first everything else is nice, but having had it done now, I can say that the biggest performance upgrade you can make is the tune....hands down, no doubt about it. It really brings out what you realize you’ve been missing all along. You will not regret it. I know I sound like a shill, but Mario’s customer service is fantastic and his product stands on its own! I’m just an extremely happy customer.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 08-06-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
You will love the tune! Mario tuned mine and it’s a completely different car! The turbo added power, but didn’t exactly want to play well at first everything else is nice, but having had it done now, I can say that the biggest performance upgrade you can make is the tune....hands down, no doubt about it. It really brings out what you realize you’ve been missing all along. You will not regret it. I know I sound like a shill, but Mario’s customer service is fantastic and his product stands on its own! I’m just an extremely happy customer.
thank you Grumpy!! It was great meeting you and I will be back in around the end of end month. These Countryman are painfully slow when stock and with just a few simple bolt on and some solid tuning they become The Italian Job.

The following users liked this post:
MrGrumpy (08-06-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Cowman369
1st Gear
That's great news! I cant wait till I get my tune.
I did just install the NM carbon fiber Intake, and I must say I've never had a bigger smile on my face from the noise my car makes now. I can hear the turbo spool more, and I can hear the diverter valve noise! KCHSHHHH!!! 😊😊😊😊
The NM Intake was supplied by Mario, great price, fast shipping. Couldn't be happier

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Those are really nice intake system. If I was going to get one, that’s the one I would buy. It’s one of the few that completely replaces the factory turbo inlet tube.and has resistors to delete the pvc heaters. Looks good too! Now you just need to give Mario your ECU, lol.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:31 PM
pdxaaron
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated my post to include my new modifications below!

Last edited by pdxaaron; 02-13-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 PM
pdxaaron
1st Gear
I have slowly been building my countryman as I have had it, and let me tell you it is so fun to work on this thing.

The first minor modifications I did to the car were cosmetic, like tinted windows, small decals, plastidip logos, mini blackline replacements for chrome parts, etc.

I also installed a new stereo system with a custom sub box that replaces the weird under trunk area in the back. I personally did not like the stock system and needed a bit more.

Another must have is better headlights if you don't have the stock projectors. I had the halogens, and upgraded to XD Glow LEDs and they are night and day different. I also replaced all of the other bulbs in my car with LEDs including the fog lights, parking lights, and LP plate bulbs

In terms of performance, I have done the following:

BC Racing Coilovers
-Added Eibach rear control arms, this is something that you need if you don't want your rear camber to be ridiculous

JCW exhaust & tips
-I personally like the sound of the JCW exhaust a lot. It's not too loud, but has a really nice tone. I am planning on adding a new downpipe to make it a bit louder and have a little bit less back pressure, but it is a matter of preference.

M7 Cold air Intake & Pre-intercooler charge pipe
-A really easy modification to do. Not the most expensive, but adds a noticeable amount of HP. Plus, the turbo sounds really good with this!

Let me know if you have any questions about these!

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (10-19-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:34 AM
rotaryferreira
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 AM
limey222
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I read the posts with great interest as our R60 is stock. I would like to know the effect on your clutches, since we know that the original stock clutch was undersized for the stock power. The clutch in my 2012 was replaced in late 2017, 6,000 miles ago, before I purchased the car by a Mini distributor so I am assuming it got the factory uprated clutch at the time as it should have been the only OEM part available.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by limey222
OK, I read the posts with great interest as our R60 is stock. I would like to know the effect on your clutches, since we know that the original stock clutch was undersized for the stock power. The clutch in my 2012 was replaced in late 2017, 6,000 miles ago, before I purchased the car by a Mini distributor so I am assuming it got the factory uprated clutch at the time as it should have been the only OEM part available.
i sell and replaced my own Countryman clutch after only 18K. The new one feels like stock, spools faster with a lighter single mass flywheel. Send me an email MarioPalza@gmail.com

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 AM
Jeremy A Gruver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I would skip on the intake as they are expensive and just suck hot engine compartment air, but do give you the turbo sound. So if you still wanted one go cheap like the DDM street
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...et-intake.html

As for Intercooler I like the forge
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

but the wagner is a little cheaper and will still work well
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wagner...7-r58-r59.html

Either way the Intercooler is a must have.

https://www.waymotorworks.com/r60-co...a-exhaust.html

but you could also go with the Akrapovic downpipe since it's 100cel cat it would be quieter https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

Then we can also provide you a Manic tune and offer same day return shipping as we tune them as soon as we get them.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/manic-...-cooper-s.html
So I don't see r60 in any of these links after the first one, are these cross platform compatible

Old 07-27-2019, 08:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy A Gruver
So I don't see r60 in any of these links after the first one, are these cross platform compatible
the intercooler and downpipe are the same for the R56 and R60 so you they will work fine for your R60

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more