Drivetrain Slightly more aggressive sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Flea77
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slightly more aggressive sound

So I have been watching youtube videos and reading posts and it seems like the way to make your R60 sound more aggressive is to remove the second cat and resonator. Sounds easy enough, take to the muffler shop and have them replace those two items with a straight piece of pipe, right?

My problem is that all the videos I hear have a LOT of pop and burble in them but they do not say if they have sport mode on or not.

The reason this might be a problem is that my MINI is my daily driver, and I do service calls in it in neighborhoods where that would be very unwelcome. Not to mention parking garages :-)

What I really want is an exhaust that is slightly louder and growls a little more without any pops or burbles with sport mode OFF, then when I turn sport mode on the pops and burbles are welcome.

I might also mention I have an NM tune box if that matters.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Allan

Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just remove the second cat and resonator. Remains pretty quiet because of the main cat and turbo. You can remove one at a time if you want to try as you go but I think you'll end up taking both out. Near stock quiet with better pops only in sport mode.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Flea77
2nd Gear
Sounds good! (Pun intended ;-) I assume removing those do not affect anything else adversely? No codes?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are correct, there are no sensors that far down the exhaust. Should sound great.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I removed mine, no issues, only get the pop and burble in sport mode. Which my son uses more than me.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:41 PM
PureWorks
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Still pass smog in Ca?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
All cats still installed, resonator delete, 3" straight pipe after 2nd cat. Idle, regular and sport mode.

2.5" catless DP, 2nd cat & resonator delete, 3" mid pipe resonator to 3" pipe with dual exit pipes with 2.5" straight thru mufflers. Idle, regular and sport mode.

Catless system, full 3" DP & exhaust. Straight thru 3 in. mid pipe muffler, dual 2.5" exit pipes with 2.5" straight thru mufflers. WOT.

Last edited by AWD_Rally; 12-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Flea77
2nd Gear
So I made the leap and deleted the second cat and resonator. It is indeed louder under regular driving, slow speeds around town and on the highway. It is not loud enough to make me worry or regret my decision although since we take trips in this car it may annoy me a little on 10+ hour highway drives, time will tell.

Turning on sport mode is a different beast. Once it warms up and you start pushing it the pops and burbles make me laugh every time. I definitely get some interesting looks. And under a heavy load warmed up, it is quite a bit louder than factory.

Overall, happy I made the decision and did it.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Quinnbozz
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So,.... still happy?

Originally Posted by Flea77
So I made the leap and deleted the second cat and resonator. It is indeed louder under regular driving, slow speeds around town and on the highway. It is not loud enough to make me worry or regret my decision although since we take trips in this car it may annoy me a little on 10+ hour highway drives, time will tell.
So, still happy with the delete done???
we will also have to make 8-10 hour trips. I dont want my wife and kids to want to take the van over the mini