Drivetrain Exhaust too close to heat shield, can I take it off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM
hyhenrychan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust too close to heat shield, can I take it off?

I putted a Milltek exhaust few months ago on my car. And realized it was a little bit too close to the heat shield. When I drive, sometime will have some metal to metal vibration noise. My car is a 2012 countryman s all4. I know that the heat shield also cover the drivetrain near the exhaust. Is there any other things under the shield? Does anyone know if I can take out the heat shield? Will it cause any problem?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:29 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
I would try to bend the heat shield for clearance first, then try to readjust the exhaust for clearance. I would not remove the heat shield.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:36 PM
hyhenrychan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I would try to bend the heat shield for clearance first, then try to readjust the exhaust for clearance. I would not remove the heat shield.
i did bend and readjust few time from myself and few shops, but it still have a bit sound when it hit 2000 rpm

Old 10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
makg
1st Gear
I think I would have to make sure the exhaust is installed properly before bending any heat shields on my car. It should fit right from the factory and if it doesn't the mounting hooks that are welded may need to be bent to allow for more clearance. I would loosen the connections when its nice and cool try to re-align it first. Another solution is to take it to a muffler shop and have them cut and relocate the hooks to drop it down lower.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:40 PM
hyhenrychan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by makg
I think I would have to make sure the exhaust is installed properly before bending any heat shields on my car. It should fit right from the factory and if it doesn't the mounting hooks that are welded may need to be bent to allow for more clearance. I would loosen the connections when its nice and cool try to re-align it first.
I brought it to few shops to make sure it install it right...but it still have the sound, and there is no hook at all at the middle, and the middle is where too close (the place that where the cat was)

Last edited by hyhenrychan; 10-04-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 PM
hyhenrychan
1st Gear
Do you guys think if I take the heat shield off and use some exhaust wrap heat shield to wrap around the exhaust will be work for block the heat goes to the car?
something like this:

Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 PM
hyhenrychan
1st Gear
Number 14 is where i want to remove

Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Milltek exhaust should have an additional hanger that bolts into the rear differential. It uses 2 L type brackets with a bushing in between. It should be on page 2 of the install directions. If this is installed and you are still having contact with the heat shields I would contact Milltek directly, they are very friendly and quick to respond.

EDIT - Apologies, I confused this with the Scorpion exhaust. Perhaps you can try going to your local hardware store and replicating what scorpion does. I plan on doing the same if I have issues.

Last edited by cstrumol; 10-12-2017 at 12:37 PM.