R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Buying A Roadster~Any Input on this Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Mini981
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying A Roadster~Any Input on this Car?

I owned a 2009 MCS and loved it, and currently drive a 2015 Porsche Cayman S. I'm ooking for a DD car for my girlfriend but also one that I can enjoy as well and that is why we keep coming back to the Roadster (have narrowed it toa Fiat 500 Abarth and the Roadster) We took a test drive in a base 2015 last weekend and was a real blast.

Currently strongly considering this one, any thoughts on it?

https://www.motorwerksmini.com/detai...-18701581.html

Looks great but kinda having a real tough time wrapping my head around the idea of paying 20K for a 6 year old Mini Cooper, regardless of trim, But from what I can see on sites like carguru, auto trader etc, the JCW Roadsters are all priced around the 18-22K range.

Also always a bit leery of cars with ULTRA low mileage (less than 2500 a year) Anything specifically I should be on the look out for when buying a Roadster?

I would love to find one from an individual, but of course not the easiest car to find!

Old 03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
- a used car is worth what you are willing to pay .. IME asking others generates more angst than anything else ... but you asked .... (don't EVER ask after you buy one unless you want to be unhappy!!!!)

- in 2016 we paid $26.5k for a 2015 S 6sp "new" it had sat on the lot for over a year. Sticker was $32.5 The coupe and roadster did not sell well - obviously, why else were they dropped so fast - so beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you know the car business you know what they think of inventory that's been around for 12 months .....

- you probably realize already that the "sticker" that comes up from the listing is not the actual sticker and the vast majority of the 'features' they list are standard equipment. The R-59 S was pretty well equipped b4 anything was added. Base price in 15 was $29.1 ... but it has "works" and that is important to some . . .

- looking at KBB for the car described & for where I live I get a private sale value in the high $17k range .... trade in less of course.

- Mechanical's wise these have the later N-18 motor so most of the early GEN-2 concerns don't apply. We've had no mechanical issues (lil over 30k miles) . Look for leaks around the thermostat housing ... an overly complicated plastic part prone to failure - I got a warranty extension to 100,000 on this part for my '15, but had to replace on my 07 out of pocket.

- MINI did replace our top under warranty (already) and there can be some rub issues with earlier builds. With the top down look for contact at the back side of the top and the rubber weather seal causing abrasion on the top. Mine was replaced for a different issue but I mention as one who's owned 'rag tops' for many years: I did a lil research and to my surprise NOT .... there is no aftermarket top for this car that I can find. If you plan to keep for long this will become an issue down the road cuz NO 'vert top lasts forever.

- I'd check that the interior is correctly 'leather' cuz the standard black interior <which we have> is very leather like ...... our sticker calls it 'carbon black leatherette' ..... when you run KBB numbers "leather" makes a difference.

- that blue is a color not seen often and can't say I've EVER seen on an R-59

- as compared to a Fiat ..... OMG, REALLY? I kinda like the Fiat A but they can't hold a candle to a MINI and certainly not an R-59

- minor point but: it has a really AMAZINGLY large trunk area ...... we had a Miata for years and this is WAY more useful. Miata wasn't bad .. but this is WAY better.

So I'd say it is a nice one you have there. The R-59 is our third MINI and while the first two were my daily cars, this one is the Mrs'. First time she saw one she wanted one, but by that time they were no longer being made. We lucked out finding a 'not previously owned' that met her 'must haves'. I do my own work for the most part so if you have any ? feel free to PM. Search my name, I been around here for a while .....

The following users liked this post:
Mini981 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Mini981
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts and point well taken!

Sounds like you got a pretty solid deal off sticker on yours.

And I agree the Fiat Abarth seems to be a big step down. For me it is more about comparing a like new or new Abarth to a 5-6 Mini Cooper S or JCW. I certainly like the Mini's better of course.

We are probably going to go the Mini Roadster route and right now I am really just going back in forth between 2014-2015 "S models in the 15,000-16,000 range vs this JCW at 21,000. Just trying to determine if the JCW really is worth the $3000-4000 premium or not?

My guess as far as resale value in the 3-4 years, you are probably losing 50% (or more) on either car

Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The "premium" on a new JCW used to be about $4k. For that ;you get: Brembo brakes, the JCW body kit which is cool, and the bigger turbo with tune, about 30-40 HP which is way cool. And some stitching on the steering wheel and shift boot. So it shouldn't be $4k on a used car. But IMO it's way worth it on a new car. I bet the JCW Roadster is a blast to drive, it's a lot like my Coupe. Forget the Abarth, that's a sled.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini981
Thanks for the thoughts and point well taken!

Sounds like you got a pretty solid deal off sticker on yours.

And I agree the Fiat Abarth seems to be a big step down. For me it is more about comparing a like new or new Abarth to a 5-6 Mini Cooper S or JCW. I certainly like the Mini's better of course.

We are probably going to go the Mini Roadster route and right now I am really just going back in forth between 2014-2015 "S models in the 15,000-16,000 range vs this JCW at 21,000. Just trying to determine if the JCW really is worth the $3000-4000 premium or not?

My guess as far as resale value in the 3-4 years, you are probably losing 50% (or more) on either car
The premium on the JCW was $7K when new for either Coupe or Roadster. There was a lot of add on performance items for that price. On the long run, the JCW will have a better resale value.

Furthermore, this is a 6 SP manual and far better suited than the AT for this type of car.

Last edited by dube53; 03-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
2013_Roadster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you take an extended test drive with the top up. IMO, the blind spots are huge on this car. My girlfriend will not drive my R59 for that reason. But she is a very cautious driver. Mine is my DD and I just took a 900 mile trip to/from northern California. The top was up most of the way. Once you're used to the blind spots, you know what to look out for. It's still not easy but when the top is done, you'll have tons of smiles per miles.

As others have specified, look for leaks around the thermostat housing. A plastic piece I had to replace, not covered by any warranty. Yes, I tried and Mini USA was of no help. Beautiful color, btw! Mine is an auto because I thought my gal would drive it occasionally but in LA traffic, a blessing.

Good luck with your search. I was lucky enough to find mine on Cars.com via a private seller. I was the first person to actually look at it in person and bought it on the spot.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 PM
minidd99
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I think buying a JCW being the top of the line is never a mistake.
More smiles per mile.