R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 OEM suspension option quandry

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OEM suspension option quandry

I'm trying to simply clearly establish my starting point. I've read for the 56 chassis the justa vs S had the same base suspension, and I've found pictures of the 56 shock without the "sport" or the "+".

I've recently done my first brake job and took a picture of the front strut label. Near as I can tell with my googling is these are struts from the sport package, indicated by... Sport on them and the + at the end of the part number, the 56 shocks with sport and "+" I've found were confirmed as from a car with S266A package.

The fun part is here:
No S266A code on build sheet.
22.5mm Front ASB measured
16mm Rear ASB measured

So is the difference of with/without S266A just the ASBs and springs for the R59?

What would be super helpful is if a non-S non-S266A owner could read the label on their shocks.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
So to answer my own question, yes, the base and S without 226A are the same suspension.

I am not totally offended by the way it corners, but, it could be flatter through turns and be less of a pushing beast when on throttle. To that end I picked up an 18mm JCW rear bar from 24mm JCW front bar, for the total of $87 :-)
​​​​​
Here's where I think it's important to distinguish the 56 and 58/59, I installed the rear this weekend, 60% stiffer than the 16mm. The ride straight down the road has not been affected at all. Corner is largely the same at the speed limit. When pushing faster is when you notice the change, everything you would expect.

The balance is what I would call perfect for the street, and will definitely be too small a bar for autoX. On a 270 degree exit ramp I can balance it on throttle to either over or under steer pretty easily at right around 65mph. Prior to the bar swap that was a balance point of 59mph so there's been some objective improvement to accompany the subjective improvement.

Now to get the front bar in, the 15mm wheel spacers , and JCW red springs (VIN from fully loaded R58 Auto used), and I think it'll be all set until I get Vorschlags put in.

Fat Cat will be tapped for the dampers at some point.
​​​

Old 01-29-2019, 09:08 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had a 2008 with the sport suspension. The struts were clearly labeled 'SPORT'. On a subsequent S, they were like yours with a 'Cooper S' label. I'm running a set of Bilstein sports revalved by Fat Cat. I have stock sport springs up front (minus 1/2 coil), and he put adjustable spring seats for a 275 lb coil-over type spring on the rear. I had to make my own upper spring mounts. He didn't like the factory spring rates, wanted it stiffer in the rear. I'm happy with things, except the rear spring setup is noisy. Mine is valved for a daily driver with stock ride height, and its a good compromise. Not sure if its worth the $$$, but I'm happy and that's worth something.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 01-29-2019, 01:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I had the R58 JCW with coilover now on Ohlins and its night and day. Its was on sport suspension as it was factory., they did not buy up for the JCW kit suspension. I think the stock suspension is good even on the stock JCW which is pretty much the same on the S. I think you will really like the JCW spring combo Let us know what you think.

The R58 is a little heavier in the back compared to my R56. I feel when i drive the R58 it does rotate and handle better then my stock R56 MCS. But maybe its just me.

I think the r59 is a little heavier then the R58 for the additional bracing and roll overs. Also the trunk is a little different for crash standards.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-my-gp2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Yep, exactly right from what I've read. Thinking on it the other day, the cross chassis bulkhead surely does a lot to stiffen the body, but, also think on where the weight is located, it lower down than the 56. That, I expect, contributes to the different feel.

Glad to read the positive FCM report, once I saw the shock Dyno for the KBO shock I was instantly sold. I know the feeling I like, and that personal feel preference is exactly reflected by the KBO plot shape.

Will probably go JCW red + KBO this year, and convert to aftermarket springs next year.

I'm still amazed at just how well the R5x platform responds to relatively minor suspension changes.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I've got a set of used Swift springs, if you are interested. Check out the specs. The springs rates were OK for what I was doing, but I didn't want to lower the car because of the winter driving I do here.

http://swiftsprings.wpengine.com/pro...prings-spec-r/

Have fun,
Mike

Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I believe that the coilovers are the same as the stock car when you get the Sport Suspension even though they have different sticker on them. The difference in the SS are the sway bars. That's why the SS only cost like $250 over the stock suspension. Heck on the F56 JCW the sport suspension option is free.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 02-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-20-2019)