North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r59-roadster-talk-2012-385/)
-   -   R59 Fair Price (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r59-roadster-talk-2012/334900-fair-price.html)

David Borjas 01-08-2019 01:32 PM

Fair Price

What should a 2013 roadster with 38k miles sell for? Been having a big ordeal with management because pricing just seems to be to high. I want customers opinions. Thanks in advance.

minidd99 01-15-2019 03:44 PM

It depends where you are located, model, condition and options.

David Borjas 01-16-2019 06:06 AM

West Palm Beach, FL
Base Cooper Roadster with 38k miles.

We are letting it go real cheap, and management is not happy about it, and the guy getting a great deal is complaining about fee's... never please everyone lol. Cold Weather Package, Piano Black Interior Surface, White Turn-Signal Lights, Power Folding Mirrors, Carbon Black Color Line, Heated Mirrors and Washer Jets

Capt_bj 01-16-2019 07:35 AM

https://www.bramanmini.com/used/MINI...5f68879284.htm

Carbon Black Color Line, Cold Weather Package, Heated Mirrors and Washer Jets, Piano Black Interior Surface, Power Folding Mirrors, White Turn-Signal Lights.

Spice Orange Metallic 2013 MINI Cooper FWD 1.6L I4 DOHC 16V 6-Speed Automatic Steptronic

38,710 miles

$13,700

A bit higher than expected private party sale value according to KBB for WPB zipcode

KBB finds 5 other Roadsters for sale in the area ..... This price is the high end

David Borjas 01-16-2019 08:15 AM

he is getting it for $11,400.. but now complaining about taxes, and fee's.. like I control any of that.

David Borjas 01-16-2019 08:20 AM

he is getting such a great price, because in Nov we had one, and he kept haggling the price. When he finally decided to come up a little, it was sold the same day by another rep. So the GM is making an exception on this one.. but there is just no pleasing anyone.

Capt_bj 01-16-2019 01:21 PM

I'm lost as to what the question is here ... or are you just a car salesman venting frustration at your 'sales manager'?

The guy got a price he's kinda happy with but now wants to argue "fees"? Can't blame him for that. I've seen silly high dealer fees and other places that were very reasonable and have sometimes gotten a huge chunk written off to 'save the deal'. <tax is another story ... ya can't argue the tax IMO ... ya can't get tags until you pay state sales tax so either pay thru the dealer or to the tax collector directly>

When we bought our 15 roadster it had been sitting on the dealer lot for 14 months. If you know much about how car dealerships work wrt $ the car was WELL past its prime and they wanted to move it bad. They posted a good price on the web but when I called to inquire they mentioned the price did not include tax, dealer fees or dealer installed options. I said I'll come look at the car and if nothing wrong will buy today for listed price + tax + tag transfer fee <I'll bring a tag> .... yes or no?

As I said, I own the car ...... I didn't pay zero dealer fees but I paid only a fraction of their starting number. I did not pay for any 'dealer installed option'.

I think it is called negotiation.

David Borjas 01-16-2019 01:42 PM

car has been here for 8 days. But actually available to sell for 2 days. So I think they are going above and beyond to please him.. I just wanted to know if $11,400 with 38k miles is a good price. They are doing this to please him, and there is just no pleasing... I look like an ass, because he said he would do that price... so yes, I am just venting.

Minidogger 01-16-2019 02:52 PM

Sorry you are between rock & hard place. You are the public face of your business, so you have to take the heat.

How many other inquiries have you had on the car?

You could start a spreadsheet to keep track of your dealerships sales. Using statistics like mean & median numbers, how fast it sold, etc, should identify the normal price range.

Good Luck

David Borjas 01-18-2019 05:36 AM

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Last roadster we had, we held of 92 days, due to the fact it was a 6spd.
Roadster prior to that was 34 days, auto.. had more miles than the manual, and was the same color.

Thanks for the tip. Mini's are def not that easy to move. You either love them, and customers keep them forever. Or they got it out of their system and don't want to lease again.

Capt_bj 01-18-2019 09:49 AM

any used car is worth what someone pays for it and nothing more

folks ask all the time what my 79 is worth and I reply, " how actively are we negotiating? Give me $12,000 right now and it is yours. "

I have it insured for $12,000 but so far no one has come thru with actual money .... is the car worth $12,000? Not until someone pays this IMO.

I chuckle when I hear "the car was worth $15,000 but I sold it for $10,000"

IMO it was worth $10,000 and no more

curious you say a 6sp is a hindrance. We went a good distance to buy our 15 BECAUSE it was a manual ...... no interest in an auto in a MINI

David Borjas 01-18-2019 10:57 AM

lol.. In this case I've honored his price. But in the end, it wasn't really what he was asking for. I think he was asking for 8k plus all the fee's and taxes.

minidd99 01-18-2019 01:40 PM

I agree with Capt that something is only worth what an active buyer and an active seller will agree on.
That being said this car is nothing special (ie not a JCW) but has low mileage.
If it is in excellent #1 condition this price $11,400 is not a bad place to start so it will leave you room to negotiate.

Minidogger 01-19-2019 04:45 AM

It's been a while, but a local dealer took a customer to small claims court because they said they got too good of deal on a car. I am not making this up, it was on the TV news.

The judge laughed pretty hard as I recall.

Capt_bj 01-19-2019 02:09 PM

no disrespect to OP (I dunno how long he's worked there)

but IME the dealership in question has a reputation going WAY back for being a lil slimy in their dealing ..... I for one had two BAD experiences with them (can't believe I even went back after the first one)

as we all know the floor sales rep ain't the one that makes the deal and IME was just a pawn. In one of my cases the sales manager "fired" the sales person while I was standing there explaining how the SA had screwed up ..... I did not buy the car (it was a classic bait and switch btw ... they'd changed the stock number of the car to be bought while 'reviewing the paperwork' and blamed SA for not telling me when I caught it.)

The 'fired' SA called me the next day to see if I'd changed my mind about the car and wanted to come back in :impatient:

Minidogger 01-19-2019 02:56 PM

Capt - yea I was trying to go with positive vibes. However, I have no sympathy for any car dealer. I did get 1 decent deal in my lifetime, was a loss leader that I just happened to catch before anyone else. They left the car deal on their website for a week after I bought it!