R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Bird bombed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:53 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird bombed

Before I get into the story, I have to admit that I'm a bit of an idiot in this one. You'll see why....

On my recent trip to Vegas, I had a decent Airbnb, a whole partment all to myself in an older multi-building complex. The complex had a couple of parking lots, where some spaces had carport covers and some did not. The Airbnb host mentioned to watch out for birds. Little did I know how prophetic that would be.

I should note here that I learned quickly the hold down the remote button to open the windows when the car has been parked in the sun, even when I put up the sun shade. The interior gets VERY hot (hot enough that the switch to open the roof almost burns my finger).

So Saturday night I played poker until 2am, and then drove back from the Strip, top down, of course. It was "only" in the 80s by then, so it was a nice drive, but when I got back, all the carport spots were taken, and in fact, there was just one space left in the whole lot. I was tired, and took it.

ON Sunday I slept in a bit, which meant that outdoor tempts were already into the 90s when I walked out the door, and my poor Roadster had been sitting in that sun for a few hours laready with just the windows slightly cracked. And when I walked into the parking lot, I saw that the Airbnb owner had severaly understaded the issue.

And here's where I was stupid. It was a combination of shock and habit. The habit part was as I walked over to the car, I had the windows open automatically. The shock part was that there was almost none of the car visible. Especially the top, but also just about on every surface, it was coated with bird poop, in some places, under multiple layers. Not little splotches eaither, but massive dumps. I must have parked under the world's largest bird's nest that was the home of some of the world's largest birds.

When I got in the car, I realized that there was no way I could put the top down until it was cleaned off. And really, I needed to clean at least the windshield, so back up went the windows. And it was then that I realized just how much of an idiot I was, because I discovered that the side windows had been pretty well coated as well, and guess where some of that went when I put the windows down the first time?

Well, got the car, going, got the A/C fired up, and got the windshield somewhat clean, and the first stop was at a gas station where I took the window washing squeegee/scrubber to the windows, the body, and the top. It may not have been the best decision, but it got the layers of poop off.

I called the dealer the next morning to ask if they could recommend a car wash place that was safe for the Roadster (kind of hoping they offer to bathe it themselves). They suggested a nearby place, and off I went. They did a fairly good job, although there a some spots stopp on the top that I have ti figure out how to deep clean out. But my real problem is this:

The stuff that got down into the door.

I know there's some there because there's a streak on the driver's side window.

So I'm wondering: What's the best (and most cost evvective) way to get all that bird crap out of the doors (and perhaps out of the nooks and crannies where some might also linger)? And then what's the best solution to scrub the top clean?

My biggest regret is not taking a few photos. It's impossible to describe in words just how thoroughly the bird bombing was.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
were it me ..... here's what I would do

for the 'stuff' that might have gotten on the door. I'd get a helper and then run a BUNCH of water over the window from the outside while running the window up and down - ensuring the water control didn't spray everything.... (make sense??) check that the drain holes on the door are open ..

if this does not work you'd be looking at removing the 'door card' aka the interior trim piece, to gain access to the inside of the door and clean up as you find ....

'does not work' means you get bad smell ......

for the top I'd get a VERY mild soap solution - and a very very soft brush .. warm water and away you go ..... LOTS of water

I use just a few drops of a good 'car cleaner' in a gallon of water

btw, I've has 'verts for a long time .... Original Mustang, VW, Miata, MINI

Last edited by Capt_bj; 06-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
^ +1 be gentle at first and lots of water. Dried bird stuff can scratch the paint and stain the soft top.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-14-2017, 03:15 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That sounds like a nightmare! I hope you've got it sorted out.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Good luck. This is very toxic poo and the best will be 10% vinegar in a gallon of water and be ready to scrub with a a good brush.
The more you wait the worse it will be
Be ready for permanent stains on the paint clear coat. You will always see the spots from bird droppings. This is far more annoying than the fabric top.
Always park your car under cover. I drove classics for 20 years when living in Vegas and going to my office every morning and I always put a car cover to be safe.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I feel for you, this really sucks, but you didn't take any pictures?

The following users liked this post:
mdaz75 (06-15-2017)