R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Openometer

Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Doctin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Openometer

Can someone tell me if it is possible to remove the openometer cleanly?...meaning without leaving any holes or exposed cables or looking weird. Is there dash paneling behind it?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's probably a way to swap the tach unit. I've seen a post about that before here. I can't remember if you have to swap the guts of your tach into the new body, or whether it's a dealer reprogram afterwards. Maybe you can get a tach from a wreck?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Doctin
2nd Gear
I have an email into my MA at the dealership. Car still en route on ship, so I have not really sat and looked at this set up other than during test drive and that was just a quick look. The tach is dead center and the openometer is to the left. From what I can see from other posts and online info it is really one physical figure 8 type unit. This means if I want another instrument or gauge I need to find one that fits that specific housing unit and can be wired properly to work or possibly see if I can remove the tachometer/openometer combo unit and have it replaced with just a tachometer.

Are there options out there that actually work and look good? Has anyone done this switch out?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctin
From what I can see from other posts and online info it is really one physical figure 8 type unit.
The outer case is one unit but the gauge inside looks separate. I would guess it is possible to chop it off and put something else in its place, but I haven't heard of anybody actually doing it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...33-post14.html

Originally Posted by DarthGoon
funny you should say that... the reason i was pulling all that stuff apart was to put on some custom gauges that i had lyle whip up for me.

its not hard getting to the gauge face. its just that you can't remove the gauge all together. because they are connected as one piece.

the white part on the outside edge is the plastic housing that is all one piece. thats whats the problem.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM
nfo
6th Gear
I remember someone saying you could remove it by swapping the entire tach/openmeter for a tach from a coupe. It just would cost a fortune...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Doctin
2nd Gear
Well, looks like I'm stuck with an openometer.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't know why so much beef on this
Don't worry about it so much. Personally I don't mind the "openometer".
Sure it may seem a little gadgety but it's also kind of unique in its own right, and if I had more time to get into it I'd be paying more attention to it. My 2ç for the little its worth

Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It takes up precious real estate.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Well if you intend to put other gauges that is understandable!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Plenty of room for other gauges too...

---
I just tell folks that I'm health conscious and my OEM "UV Radiation Exposure Meter" helps remind me when I need to be thinking about sunscreen.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I just tell folks that I'm health conscious and my OEM "UV Radiation Exposure Meter" helps remind me when I need to be thinking about sunscreen.

Silly question . . . Does the openometer reset to 0 when the open top trip counter is reset to 0 (which I need to look again on how to do that anyway because I never know ). I'm not talking about the mileage trip counter. That one is easy to reset.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Doctin
2nd Gear
Well, it is what it is. Moving forward...with openometer in tow. Looking forward to getting the car in the next 2 weeks.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TG.
Silly question . . . Does the openometer reset to 0 when the open top trip counter is reset to 0 (which I need to look again on how to do that anyway because I never know ). I'm not talking about the mileage trip counter. That one is easy to reset. .
Yes, the open meter resets when you've reset the digital counter. Useless gauge redundancy in action!

Last edited by KennyR; 08-27-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Yes, the open meter resets when you've reset the digital counter. Useless gauge redundancy in action!
Good! now I'll check out how to reset it easily (just need to look at the manual ) and I might actually enjoy using the openometer reading as oppose to the digital gauge which I often have set on temperature instead.

And I totally agree, they probably didn't need the short trip openometer digital reading if it is what the openometer reads anyway. They probably put it there because they could (next to the total open top counter).

Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Plenty of room for other gauges too...

My goodness, Gil-galad, how can you even concentrate on your driving?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. T
My goodness, Gil-galad, how can you even concentrate on your driving?

Actually the real danger is when I have the top down. I find myself tilting my head back and staring up into the big blue sky (and then thinking...oops, better watch the road!).

Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 AM
KennyR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Good! now I'll check out how to reset it easily (just need to look at the manual ) and I might actually enjoy using the openometer reading as oppose to the digital gauge which I often have set on temperature instead. And I totally agree, they probably didn't need the short trip openometer digital reading if it is what the openometer reads anyway. They probably put it there because they could (next to the total open top counter).
TG: All of the resettable digital info on the steering wheel stalk is reset the same way: press and hold the turn signal stalk button, and whatever info is in the display is reset to 0. The openometer resets with the digital top open info, so they are always in sync.

Who needs the owners manual anyways? IMO, the MINI's "cutesy" style is particularly irritating. It took me 15 minutes to find the correct wheel torque, which is buried in a paragraph, but not in the index, technical specs, etc.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Hmmm, I thought I tried that and I thought it didn't work and went to the mileage counter when I pushed on it but maybe I didn't do it right... I'll try it again.

I here you about the manual information . . . though these aren't always easy to create and probably often under founded... well because they know many people don't really care about it or will think about the manual after the fact.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
You need to press and hold for 3-5 seconds to clear and zero the display.

Maybe MINI could try hiring 1 less engineer who designs useless gauges like openometers, and one more English major who could write a simple and readable owner's manual.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I should have been more specific. That is what I did but maybe I wasn't firm enough that when I first pressed on it it registered it as a light push and flipped to the mileage counter before the hold was registered... easy though, I'll just try again tomorrow

Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Well, I knew I wasn't crazy . . . I tried to reset the current Openometer reading pushing the little button on the gauge (as described in the manual) and it would not do a thing. I would press more than 2-3 seconds and nothing. I would press less and it would swap to mileage counter... than reset it of course!

I was quite puzzled until I decided to try something else and instead I pushed and held the info **** button for about 2-3 seconds and that worked! The analogue Openometer is reset as well which is great! I think I'll be using it more often now.

Perhaps it's a fluke with my car programming
As long as it works and I know how to I don't care which one works differently. In a way I prefer it this way as it keeps the mileage count alone and away from accidental resets...

Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Stella14
Neutral
Yes, it is entirely possible. I actually pulled the tach off a wrecked R58. Only thing you need is the shell. Keep the same wiring harness that goes through the steering column, and swap out the circuit boards.

The ribbon from the main circuit board that connects to the openometer is easily removed

Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 AM
E=MC3
1st Gear
I am the proud *new* owner of a 2013 Roadster JCW, but can't seem to locate the openometer :(

I have read that it is standard on these models, but my 2013 has a manufacture date of Sept 2012 - I have scrolled through the options on my turn signal, and they are no different than what I had on my Countryman (obviously I don't have the gauge, but thought I would have the digital readout).

Any thoughts?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by E=MC3
I am the proud *new* owner of a 2013 Roadster JCW, but can't seem to locate the openometer :(

I have read that it is standard on these models, but my 2013 has a manufacture date of Sept 2012 - I have scrolled through the options on my turn signal, and they are no different than what I had on my Countryman (obviously I don't have the gauge, but thought I would have the digital readout).

Any thoughts?
Where are you? All US cars seemed to get it, but that might not be the case in other markets.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM
E=MC3
1st Gear
Canada - although when I pull the VIN specs, the car comes up as "US" with the 838: CANADIAN VERSION and 548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING.

Maybe they are aware of the Canadian weather and remove that as an option from the Canadian version?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R59 Openometer