R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Driving hat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving hat?

One of the great things about driving a Roadster in California is also one of the bad things about driving a Roadster in California: the sun.

I am...well, let's just say it: pasty. I buy the Costco-sized sunscreen for my many outdoor activities, and with the thinning pate covering, an area of skin I found out the hard way that is particularly sensitive to prolonged sun exposure, I'm almost always sporting a hat when I'm behind the wheel.

For local trips, a baseball cap is find. It's nice and secure, and the brim keeps the sun out of my eyes, even in late-afternoon commutes, and mitigates the overall brightness.

However, I'll be embarking on a couple of road trips to Vegas in a few months, not only long drives, but with a good part of the drive through the high desert. I'm looking for a hat the will provide protection from the sun for more than just the top of my head and the top of the front of my face.

I've tried a couple of wider brimmed hats already. I found one "sun" hat that seemed to have a stiff brim, but even it blew up in the front once I got up to highway speeds. I tried a hat with a smaller all-around brim, but it didn't give me enough shade for my eyes.

So, anyone have any ideas for a driving hat? Ideally, it'd have a baseball cap-like front brim that's long and does not move, and also have something to cover the top of my ears (another especially sensitive spot) and the back (and maybe at least partially) and sides of my neck.

(Yes, I also have sunscreen, which I'll also be using on face, neck, and arms.)

Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The foreign legion type hat seems to fit what you're looking for. Are you going to AMVIV May?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by twriter
One of the great things about driving a Roadster in California is also one of the bad things about driving a Roadster in California: the sun.

I am...well, let's just say it: pasty. I buy the Costco-sized sunscreen for my many outdoor activities, and with the thinning pate covering, an area of skin I found out the hard way that is particularly sensitive to prolonged sun exposure, I'm almost always sporting a hat when I'm behind the wheel.

For local trips, a baseball cap is find. It's nice and secure, and the brim keeps the sun out of my eyes, even in late-afternoon commutes, and mitigates the overall brightness.

However, I'll be embarking on a couple of road trips to Vegas in a few months, not only long drives, but with a good part of the drive through the high desert. I'm looking for a hat the will provide protection from the sun for more than just the top of my head and the top of the front of my face.

I've tried a couple of wider brimmed hats already. I found one "sun" hat that seemed to have a stiff brim, but even it blew up in the front once I got up to highway speeds. I tried a hat with a smaller all-around brim, but it didn't give me enough shade for my eyes.

So, anyone have any ideas for a driving hat? Ideally, it'd have a baseball cap-like front brim that's long and does not move, and also have something to cover the top of my ears (another especially sensitive spot) and the back (and maybe at least partially) and sides of my neck.

(Yes, I also have sunscreen, which I'll also be using on face, neck, and arms.)
I lived in Vegas for 20 years before retiring to WA in 2015 and owned classic roadsters. During summer, I never drove top down other than early morning or sunset. This is really too hot and you can get seriously burned.

The best is a quality mesh golf hat and you can find them at pro shops. They are light and designed to stay on your head when windy. I never lost one. The Greg Norman hats have been the best for me and I owned them in several colors.

Also, for extended driving, wear long sleeves.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I just put on a hat and lots of sunscreen while in the r52. Some of the MINI hats are going NLA, some of the good ones for the sun are gone that give extra coverage.

The larger sun hats make me sweat. Good luck on the hat search. I know the lighter and white colored hats work the best, the black ones get hot.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-from-sun.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
Yes!

Just wanna find a little bit different style, but, yes.

Originally Posted by spiney

Old 03-22-2017, 02:55 PM
twriter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
I lived in Vegas for 20 years before retiring to WA in 2015 and owned classic roadsters. During summer, I never drove top down other than early morning or sunset. This is really too hot and you can get seriously burned.

The best is a quality mesh golf hat and you can find them at pro shops. They are light and designed to stay on your head when windy. I never lost one. The Greg Norman hats have been the best for me and I owned them in several colors.

Also, for extended driving, wear long sleeves.
Once I get there, my driving will be just short trips, my Airbnb to the Mirage garage on Memorial Day weekend and Cannery to the Mirage garage on July 4th weekend. And mostly mornings/after dark, so I won't be worried too much about exposure, even though I have experienced that mid-summer 110+ daytime heat.

But, the long sleeves for the drive to and from, hadn't thought about that. I was just planning on slathering on sunscreen. I have some nice wicking shirts for playing sports when it's chilly, and those would be perfect for the drive.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Watch that 10 am to 2-3 pm sun, especially down in the Southwest. Like other's said, early morning top down and late afternoon into evening top down should be OK with a good SPF Sunscreen. Put the top up and exercise that A/C during the strongest midday sun period.

And don't forget to give your Roadster's top a good dose of protection for the Summer season. RaggTopp, 303 and Chemical Guys are some of the favored brands. There are others, and all provide water and UV protection for the fabric.

Enjoy those trips!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Under all topless driving conditions I have a wide selection of flat hat types in solid colors and tweeds; newsboy, Ivy, flat, they all stay put and if a big semi tries to take one off I just press my head back against the head rest. For warmer weather I like the Kangol Tropic 504 ventair that comes in a wide range of colors. And best of all, they are THE cap for sporty motoring.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Wetcoaster
1st Gear
A Tilley hat works great for all that you are looking for. Great sun protection, anti wind features (they use them sailing) plus they look good! Lots of different styles.

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm6-airflor.html

Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the big bill baseball type cap with back skirt can be found at most big box sporting goods stores ..... Columbia makes one and I got mine at Sports Authority (b4 they folded!)

or try fishing specialty stores .....

I too am a fan of the Kangol Tropic 504 ventair ..... have in several different colors .... but not so good for ear protection and ZIP for the back of the neck.

And I have a Tilley ... worked good for my time when driving the train at the zoo as there was little wind (max speed 3 mph) ... but even when walking on a windy day, the Tilley will blow off.

A question might help: how tall are you? Mrs is 5'9" and the roadster is her primary car and she can wear a wide brim hat most of the time. I'm 6 foot and my Kangol Tropic 504 tries to lift at 50 mph .....

Where you hit the windstream is the point I'm trying to make .......

Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM
twriter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
A Tilley hat works great for all that you are looking for. Great sun protection, anti wind features (they use them sailing) plus they look good! Lots of different styles.

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm6-airflor.html
I have one similar to that. The front brim flips up at speed.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
twriter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the big bill baseball type cap with back skirt can be found at most big box sporting goods stores ..... Columbia makes one and I got mine at Sports Authority (b4 they folded!)

or try fishing specialty stores .....

I too am a fan of the Kangol Tropic 504 ventair ..... have in several different colors .... but not so good for ear protection and ZIP for the back of the neck.

And I have a Tilley ... worked good for my time when driving the train at the zoo as there was little wind (max speed 3 mph) ... but even when walking on a windy day, the Tilley will blow off.

A question might help: how tall are you? Mrs is 5'9" and the roadster is her primary car and she can wear a wide brim hat most of the time. I'm 6 foot and my Kangol Tropic 504 tries to lift at 50 mph .....

Where you hit the windstream is the point I'm trying to make .......
That got me searching more. Found some potential candidates:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=A8MIVGK7O4LD3

As I try to drive with the side windows down as much as possible, at 6'0", I get a lot of side winds. Not so much over the windshield though.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
just points to ponder .....

your first is made of heavy denim ... I've not found that to breath well even if it IS cotton.

BUT your next two are 100% poly. Where there isn't mesh these are hot as heck too .... I tried one when I was driving the zoo train but it just was TOO hot even tho the materiel felt "light" ... the Tilley was my winner in this situation .... If you go this route, look for maximum mesh.

And I'll come back to my comment about height ..... I'm 6 foot and keeping my head low enough to stay out of the slip stream IS an issue ...... curiously I WAS able to wear most hats in my Miata (A series) .... the air flow with the top down was different than what I experience in the R59. My hats stayed put (even without any sort of wind deflector) Not a 'dis' of the R59 .... just pointing out a difference .....

This one looks interesting, booney style plus a neck flap, plus a chin strap ....

http://www.basspro.com/Columbia-Cool...4070506113913/

Last edited by Capt_bj; 03-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
oops .... a dupe

Old 03-31-2017, 04:44 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm driving with this.
I tilt it slightly down and I've been happy with that setup...
Not digging the full on hat you guys are talking about, but taste is the world of personalities
Anything can look nice on the right person...

Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 PM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Watch that 10 am to 2-3 pm sun, especially down in the Southwest. Like other's said, early morning top down and late afternoon into evening top down should be OK with a good SPF Sunscreen. Put the top up and exercise that A/C during the strongest midday sun period.

And don't forget to give your Roadster's top a good dose of protection for the Summer season. RaggTopp, 303 and Chemical Guys are some of the favored brands. There are others, and all provide water and UV protection for the fabric.

Enjoy those trips!
My biggest fear with the top is mice!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 PM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Boonie" hat.