R59 Potential purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I'll probably get negative feedback for this BUT

if you haven't done so yet I recommend you also look at Miata if what you want is a 'true roadster' (2 seater, rag top). Not saying there's anything wrong with the 59 ... but you'll probably find a lot more Miatas to pick from ....

FWIW I was considering a R59 as well, stick, and I'm a huge MINI fan and started to get picky and wanted an S w JCW bits and awesome interior and options...

and then they are hard to find, and creeping up in the $20-22K for what I wanted...

then I settled on a '11 Miata GT hard top.

Just +1'ing, I know this is slightly off topic. but just an option - as the quotee points out, there are more options so good price if price is a factor.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I sold my R56 this past Summer, and am now looking for a 2014 or newer Roadster with less than 20k miles, would be very happy to find one under 10k miles.

I am looking for an "S" or JCW, and it needs to be a manual. I have driven a few over the past two weeks, and really like the car. Now, just finding one that tick's all of the boxes...

Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I found out, trying to acquire the near perfect R59 takes a bit of luck, patience... you have to look at the sites as often as you can to see what pops up, be willing to travel, and might have to compromise on some options when you see one that might be a candidate.

The '14s and '15s are all gaining miles each day. Mini isn't making any more Roadsters for now, and numbers that they actually sold in the U.S. were fairly low, since it was a relatively expensive 2 seat niche car. When I was looking for one, seriously for almost a year, I was open to a Cooper or an S. Had to be manual, and preferably Pepper White, Lightning Blue, Black, or Red, with Winter Package and the would be nice stuff but not necessary, like say the Harman Kardon audio system. I ended up with a White Silver S with most of the options I would have ordered and one option I would not have considered. And the color, Not Pepper White, or Lightning Blue or my 3rd or 4th color choice. Not exactly what I would have ordered, for sure.

When I finally decided to go look at this Roadster, actually prodded a little by my wife, I was thinking it would probably be a typically dinged up city car. And after all, the color wasn't on my radar. What I found was a pristine R59 with a only a little curb rash on the edges of 2 wheels. After a bit of dealing and really agreeing on a very fair price, it only took me another 12 hours to call the dealer back to tell him that I'd be down to collect the Mini. I'm really extremely glad I did take the trouble to go see it. Totally love this little Roadster and White Silver is great, even if it wasn't on my list.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is don't wait until the exact Roadster you would have ordered becomes available. If one does show up and is reasonably equipped, don't X it out because the color is not quite the one you wanted or because some small option isn't included. Luckily there are plenty of manuals in the field. If it does have some options you like, then it's just icing on the cake.

The most important thing to know... all R59s will be as much fun to own, drive and will perform just as well on the road, no matter what color or options are included.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, I would personally be a bit weary of purchasing a high mileage used MINI. I want to second some of the other posts about looking at an MX-5 or some other car that is likely more reliable used. I would hate to see you buy a car only to sink multiple thousands of dollars into future repairs like the all-to-common timing chain issues or turbo oil line leaks. Are you dead set on a drop-top?

What about a used z3 or z4 roadster? A Miata would definitely have my money.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
I test drove a 2013 R59 S with 51,000 miles on it earlier in the week. I don't think the car was well cared for, the engine seem tired for such a young car.

Do the N18 engines suffer as bad as the N14 engines with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?

Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Might depend on the grade and quality of gasoline in the tank?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rockridge
I test drove a 2013 R59 S with 51,000 miles on it earlier in the week. I don't think the car was well cared for, the engine seem tired for such a young car.

Do the N18 engines suffer as bad as the N14 engines with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?
Well...... it is 4 YO not anymore on warranty. Be careful. The N18 engine is renowned to be far better with less carbon build up.

I don't see any problem for now at 29K but I am the original owner and always fill with Premium 92.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:16 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Dealer in Peabody is trying t close on a deal to bring an R59 in early off of lease. If they do so, I will go down and see that. Otherwise, saw a nearly new 2014 JCW down in VA i might have to go see.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
There's a 2014 Roadster S in Miami with 708 miles on the odo. That's about as low miles as can be found, for sure.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
counterpoint

check out https://www.miata.net/

I'll bet you see a different view!

I mean REALLY ... compare MINI to MAZDA on a MINI site and what do you expect to see?

OP said he sat in one and it wsn't for him. OK, I can go with that. DW likes the roadster's taller height too .... old folks like us don't like the lower stance of the Miata (or my Mini). A Miata DID work for us for 12 years .... with a FRACTION of the maintenance costs of our MINIs.

You MUST accept the number of Miata sold versus the number of Roadster sold AND the fact that the roadster was discontinued as FACTS ..... Miata is a GREAT car. To those who poopoo the trunk I wonder if you have ever LOOKED at the trunk on a hard top Miata. You may be VERY surprised altho I admit the roadster has more. But the Miata has WAY more than a Ferrari California ... know this for a fact.

The roadster doesn't ride significantly different from the hard top and I'll challenge that few have had as I did a MINI, a Mini and a Miata in the garage at the same time as I did. On a nice Sunday I could take all 3 out for a run over the same Virginia country roads and the Miata was every bit as much fun as the other 2 ..... I FIT in all 3 so THAT factor was not a decision maker. Rear wheel drive is a different experience for sure ... but heck, ain't all Ferrari rear wheel (or 4 wheel) drive?

Back to original point ..... if the Miata don't fit, that's fine. But do NOT dismiss as an inferior car .... it is a sweet machine.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM
twriter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seems to be the business model of Carlypso. As I understand it, they somehow have a way to monitor the data of cars about to come off lease, and can swoop in and offer them for sale. The window seems to be small, sometimes on the order of hours, and it looks like once again they are allowing you to search for and see basic info about what they have available at any particular time. It looks like you have to give them your info to see details.

Just a quick look right now shows they have 4 Roadsters, 2014 or 2015, 16K to 35K miles, 2 base, 2 S, from $18.2K to $26K.

Originally Posted by rockridge
Dealer in Peabody is trying t close on a deal to bring an R59 in early off of lease. If they do so, I will go down and see that. Otherwise, saw a nearly new 2014 JCW down in VA i might have to go see.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 AM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well get the Fiat 124 Abarth...That's a Mazda too.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Fiat 124 is a nice alternative to the Mazda variant. Gives you a slightly more traditional Roadster look in the same basic solid Miata package. I haven't driven one yet, but would like to when our weather gets a little warmer. The 1.4L turbo specs are pretty impressive knocking out 5 hp more than the normally aspirated 2.0L in the Mazda version and an extra 36 ft-lb of torque. Should be entertaining to drive.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
The Fiat is for the most part a rebranded Miata.
The interior is almost the same and the exterior is trying too hard.
It doesn't really pull it off very well for me. The Miata is a far better and more lasting design I think.
Fiat doesn't even follow their own brand language with the 124. It's a bit out of place and a tad dated (aside from the light gimmicks that are a bit of a copy cat of other brands)
With those two offering I would probably end up sticking with Mazda in the end...

And yet I still prefer the MINI overall...

Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
The Fiat 124 is a Miata, other than body shape, engines and maybe some suspension tuning. Fiat may use slightly better interior materials from what I've heard. Miata front end is nice, but the rear seems a tad weak. I'd have to drive them back to back to see which would be the better version.

Mini is a totally different animal. That's why my Roadster's a Mini.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Aquavette
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No need for further debate, and I am sure the Miata and Fiat are great cars.
Simply not for me however, and the wife was also stuck on the quirky cooper.

Pulled the trigger this morning.
2012 Roadster S with 29k miles.
(And well under my targeted max budget of $15k.)
One owner, clean carfax, and service records.

Never would have considered red, but kinda liked the full chromeline interior and exterior treatment. That, and the car was too nice to pass up.

Thanks for the input from all.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Congrats! Put some quirky Cooper pictures up!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:08 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquavette
No need for further debate, and I am sure the Pulled the trigger this morning.
2012 Roadster S with 29k miles.
(And well under my targeted max budget of $15k.)
One owner, clean carfax, and service records.

Never would have considered red, but kinda liked the full chromeline interior and exterior treatment. That, and the car was too nice to pass up.
Congrats! Pics or it didn't happen, and glad to see another person who doesn't hate chrome, I thought I was on my own for a while back there.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Aquavette
2nd Gear
Pic for proof.
I have said more than once that chrome is my favorite color.

Temporarily displaced my wife's countryman in the garage.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pic for proof.

Looks great! I wish I could get the chrome ducts for my JCW bumper but they don't do them. Other than that (and the blue vs. red) I have your spiritual twin:

Old 03-17-2017, 06:20 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Pic for proof.

Very nice and not so quirky looking Roadster Aquavette! I hope you and Spiney don't start a Chrome war. I have Chrome brake ducts in the boot, waiting for some warm weather so they can go on. I don't like working with car parts in sub-freezing temperatures.

You can include pics of your wife's Countryman, too. No points deducted for that here!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Aquavette
2nd Gear
Another shot.

Really like the blue, and never thought I would own a red one, but it just looked "right" in person.

Quick trip to the mini dealer where it was purchased revealed an extended maintenance contract good for over another year, and yielded a free oil change, complimentary inspection, and car wash! Score!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Nice Car. Not sure about the chrome though... I was thinking about doing the "Murdered" look on my Roadstah.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Aquavette
2nd Gear
Been a while since I have posted.
Really enjoyed the car for 2 years, but then I got the CRAZY idea that I wanted an F57 (2017 convertible, with leather and all of the tech.)
Swapped for one in April of this year. (Moonwalk grey and Malt brown.)

Long story made short.
Good looking car, and I HATED it in short order.
After 4 months, and much mental anguish, I swapped again last week for a 2015 R59 roadster.
(BRG with the toffee interior.)

First time ever that I have re-purchased the "same" car that I previously owned.
(With MANY cars in my past from corvettes, to hot rods, to bugs.)

Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
For what reason(s) did you "hate" the F57? Personally... I think the F series is just a Mini too large. Mininess seems to have been scrubbed out of the F series pretty thoroughly. Nice looking, but in no proportion or sensation is it Mini. The R59 is definitely more fun to drive than any of the Fs.

Welcome back!

Quick Reply: R59 Potential purchase advice