North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r59-roadster-talk-2012-385/)
-   -   R59 Exposed wires behind the back bumper (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r59-roadster-talk-2012/247174-exposed-wires-behind-the-back-bumper.html)

Claudia 03-12-2013 08:37 AM

Exposed wires behind the back bumper

Darcy got her first oil change today.

I think I she must have been the first Roadster at my mechanic's as she got a lot of admiring looks. :razz:

Anyway, while she was up on the lift we noticed a whole bunch of wires behind the back bumper that looked pretty exposed. :eek2: On an R56 we checked there were no visible wires. They were hidden behind a black cover.

So my question is, did somebody forget to put a cover on or is this normal? Has anyone here taken a look under the car and noticed any "bare" wires? :confused:

BlueToy 03-12-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Claudia (Post 3697121)
Darcy got her first oil change today.

I think I she must have been the first Roadster at my mechanic's as she got a lot of admiring looks. :razz:

Anyway, while she was up on the lift we noticed a whole bunch of wires behind the back bumper that looked pretty exposed. :eek2: On an R56 we checked there were no visible wires. They were hidden behind a black cover.

So my question is, did somebody forget to put a cover on or is this normal? Has anyone here taken a look under the car and noticed any "bare" wires? :confused:

Hmm, I don't remember seeing any exposed wires on mine. What did the mechanic/dealership say?

-Steven

Claudia 03-12-2013 11:25 AM

Well my mechanic (local MINI guru) thought it looked odd (I agree) and he thinks a panel or cover of sorts may be missing or the wires weren't routed right.

I should've taken a picture to show you guys. Doh!

Angib 03-12-2013 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My (European) Roadster has loads of exposed wires back there - to the fog/reverse lights and to the rear parking sensors.

And, just to show you something different, a fairly well sheathed set of wires going to the swing-down trailer wiring socket that feeds the lights on the Mini bike rack - to be very legal in most of Europe, rear bike racks need both repeater lights and an extra license plate.

Claudia 03-14-2013 03:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Angib. It's probably normal then, even though I still think it's kinda odd and I will definitely ask the dealership about it.

If anyone is interested here are two crappy phone shots of what I was talking about.

jkapinos 03-14-2013 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A easy fix would be to go to a local auto parts store. Purchase some black plastic spiral wrap. I use it on all my bikes and cars when running wires. If you don't know what I mean, I'll post a picture. Here's a pic. It is sold in clear or black and in different sizes.

Attachment 159236

Roadster Pilot 07-01-2013 06:22 PM

My 2012 R59S has the same unsheathed wires that you took pics of. I'll put some sheathing on them from Harbor Freight. You can heat shrink it if you're careful. If not zip tie it making sure any opening in the sheathing is directed downward so it doesn't hold moisture.