R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 I'm told this is the first Roadster in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
dthompson32
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm told this is the first Roadster in Florida

I drove down to Palm Beach to pick up my Chili Red Roadster a week ago, Friday. I was just landing on my flight from Boston, when they called me to let me know it had arrived. I drove home, wife and I cleaned out the car, and started driving south.

When we got to the dealership, it was sitting outside, on the curb being shown off. It was getting a lot of attention. After admiring it, and taking a short little drive, we went through the paperwork, and finally took off (with the top down, natch).

I am just loving this car, it is so nimble and responsive. I've already rolled over the openometer, and am almost at 9 hours with the top down.

I'm getting lots of looks and head turns. One guy on a Harley at the gas station just kept admiring it. Finally he had to ask, "why does that one look so different?" I explained it was the new Roadster and that the reason he hasn't seen one it that this was the first one on the road in Florida.

There are few quirks, nothing to annoy me though. The top is difficult to put down, and I've just given up and get out of the car to do the top. In sport mode, there is this little soft backfire when decelerating that freaked me out until I figured out what was going on. And the mini connected iPhone app has no instructions. You spend a lot of time doing trial and error to figure out how to make it work with the Connect system. But once you have it working, it is really cool. Having the car talk to you is pretty cute. I still haven't figured out the voice command system.

I spent a lot of time with the color scheme. I wanted red will all black accents. Getting the black conical spoke wheels took some work with the ordering system, but I'm very happy with the results.

Also, be sure to order the correct snap-in for the armrest. I'm waiting for an iPhone one now, because I didn't realize it was a separate order. The included iPhone cable is much too short. Really a PITA if you use the power connector (like I do for a radar detector).

I am one very happy Mini owner

Attached Thumbnails I'm told this is the first Roadster in Florida-car.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Have you watched the videos in the owners lounge at mini.com?

There are a few on how to use mini connected that will get you started.

Also you can find the 32 pin iPhone connector extensions on Amazon that work great with Mini Connected.

I personally don't see the reason for an armrest cradle, it is a waste of money. You can't use the cradle with a case on the phone and to me it is just as easy to keep the extension plugged in and then just connect my phone, run the mini connected app, and then place my phone out of the way in the mesh cargo hold on the passenger side floor.

Everything works fine through Bluetooth for phone capabilities and you can access all the apps through mini connected and the y-connector.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the new Roadster...looks great! Post more pics when you can on the Roadster picture thread.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
dthompson32
Neutral
Well a bit late, I've already ordered the snap in. I'll have to remember to ask before spending money in the future

I think I've managed to figure everything out, but I'll check out the videos anyway, thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While not the first one on the road it is of the few and rare. Nice car and have fun learning all of the little fun features.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats

Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its a beauty !!