R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Recommendations for R58 Cooper S daily/track build

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM
r58MINI
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommendations for R58 Cooper S daily/track build

Hey all,

Last weekend I ended up taking my car to lime rock park, to do the SCDA car control clinic (skid pad, auto cross track) as a primer for some novice track days (and then hopefully into the intermediate category and maybe someday advanced)--and to see if I was going to mod the car and keep it, or just use it for a commuter for a year or two.

The car did great on the autocross track, as I chased down some 370z's, M4's, STi's, etc. Mind you, I have KW coilers, among other mods, and a tune.

What I'm really wondering is what are the shortcomings of this car, when being used on the track, with regard to maintenance / parts breaking; is it worth it or is it going to become a money pit, etc. I have been wondering what the "tolerance" is of the stock block and transmission. Note: I do not want to spend a ton of money, but I have been debating the JMTC K03 42mm Quick spool, gauges and pods, race seats, cooler work shifter, harness bar, wheels and tires, etc.

I don't care about crazy power, as long as the car can take a beating and will be reliable. I want to have something fun, but also don't want to spend too much money on this car--I'd prefer to save some money to do more track days.

Any info or recommendations from guys who track their cars would be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:19 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You want to know if your car with a stock block/head and a slightly bigger turbo and a tune is going to be reliable at track days? I mean lets be honest the mini platform isn't the most reliable thing on the planet as a daily. It certainly won't be any better when subject to track days. If you just want to do more track days just get wheels and tires and a lap belt. You can skip everything else in that list.