R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Crack in windshield:(

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Crack in windshield:(

I was driving my 2013 coupe s r58 today I got caught in a snow storm I had to turn the defrost up full heat on the windshield then it happened a small crack started at the bottom edge and every time I turned the heat on hot it got worse and spread almost to the top . luckily I'm still under the dealerships 30 day Warranty.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
b4 there is a next time ..... glass can be expensive

for me it is covered under my 'comprehensive' coverage. After a couple of back to back glass incidents I asked my insurance company what it would cost me to change my comp deductible from $250 to zero. For 3 cars this costs me under $50 a year ... TOTAL ... not per car .... TOTAL. I've had more glass incidents since making the change and rates did not go up.

every situation is different but it don't cost nuthin' to ask . . .

(for those who might know and wonder - yes I live in FL and yes I know FL does not allow insurance to apply a deductible to front glass. I asked when I was living in a different state)

curious to know if dealer covered it ...... glass is sort of a 'consumable' ... like tires. Would they give you a new tire if you had a flat?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Dantastic
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re coverage cracked windshield

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
b4 there is a next time ..... glass can be expensive

for me it is covered under my 'comprehensive' coverage. After a couple of back to back glass incidents I asked my insurance company what it would cost me to change my comp deductible from $250 to zero. For 3 cars this costs me under $50 a year ... TOTAL ... not per car .... TOTAL. I've had more glass incidents since making the change and rates did not go up.

every situation is different but it don't cost nuthin' to ask . . .

(for those who might know and wonder - yes I live in FL and yes I know FL does not allow insurance to apply a deductible to front glass. I asked when I was living in a different state)

curious to know if dealer covered it ...... glass is sort of a 'consumable' ... like tires. Would they give you a new tire if you had a flat?
Yes carmax i going to cover the cost this was a grey area but when I told them how it happened they agreed that the defrost on the glass shouldn't break crack the glass also the car came with a standard 30 day total Warranty after the 30 day period is up my extended warranty would be the option for malfunctioning etc.I do have a $50 deductable on glass on all the cars in my driveway when my kids started driving we got an umbrella policy in addition to a standard policy I added glass coverage it was so affordable I thought why not.I just hope that this is not going to happen a lot this is my daily driver and it gets cold and I do use the heat to defrost my windshield.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dantastic
Yes carmax i going to cover the cost this was a grey area but when I told them how it happened they agreed that the defrost on the glass shouldn't break crack the glass also the car came with a standard 30 day total Warranty after the 30 day period is up my extended warranty would be the option for malfunctioning etc.I do have a $50 deductable on glass on all the cars in my driveway when my kids started driving we got an umbrella policy in addition to a standard policy I added glass coverage it was so affordable I thought why not.I just hope that this is not going to happen a lot this is my daily driver and it gets cold and I do use the heat to defrost my windshield.
I never heard of this issue before. We have a few days a year here in coastal WA when we need the defrost function because of frost or ice. The problem with the Coupe is more about cabin ventilation which is horrible and creates fog unless you open both windows.