R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Picked up a bruised '14 today, here goes the rebuild

Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got most of it reassembled and cleaned tonight. I won't be able to install the hood and bumper covers for a couple weeks, so my next post will hopefully be of it completed.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:07 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive.. Have you thought about trying to paint the car yourself. I smashed up my passenger side rear door in a parking lot (I was looking to the right trying to squeeze out of a small parking lot and working my way around a large car that probably should not have parked where they did when I tagged the pillar :( ) I have managed to find a donor door at a salvage yard in Texas (I live in DC), they have the door which they state is completely undamaged, and is conveniently the same color (yay). So I'll be swapping the door out and transferring the internals (I have not looked inside the door card yet.. hope nothing is riveted.. although, not like I have much choice, and I do have the tools, its just a pain)

I plan on using the banged up door to practice painting and blending on. There are a couple of other spots on the car that have major paint chips (it happens living in the DC area where the roads are perpetually under construction), I don't want to pay $500 to the body shop.. so I will give it a go. Does not seem that much more difficult than spraying furniture which I have done (woodworking is a hobby), and the process for a piano finish is similar to auto painting.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Impressive.. Have you thought about trying to paint the car yourself. I smashed up my passenger side rear door in a parking lot (I was looking to the right trying to squeeze out of a small parking lot and working my way around a large car that probably should not have parked where they did when I tagged the pillar :( ) I have managed to find a donor door at a salvage yard in Texas (I live in DC), they have the door which they state is completely undamaged, and is conveniently the same color (yay). So I'll be swapping the door out and transferring the internals (I have not looked inside the door card yet.. hope nothing is riveted.. although, not like I have much choice, and I do have the tools, its just a pain)

I plan on using the banged up door to practice painting and blending on. There are a couple of other spots on the car that have major paint chips (it happens living in the DC area where the roads are perpetually under construction), I don't want to pay $500 to the body shop.. so I will give it a go. Does not seem that much more difficult than spraying furniture which I have done (woodworking is a hobby), and the process for a piano finish is similar to auto painting.
At some point I will take on my own paintwork, but first I'm going to buy a welder and give welding a shot.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Painter sent me a teaser pic.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
I started installing the parts today. My shoulder is still hurting a lot, so I'm moving a little slow.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Oh, is this going to look good.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Well, I thought I was done, but I still have a few bugs to work out. Looks like 'Whine not Walnuts' was right about the hinges. The driver side is giving me issues, so I'll need to replace it. I also need to find a replacement wind deflector, or at the least the missing upper half. Other than that, I think I'm good to go in regards to aesthetics.

One thing that has me scratching my head is intermittent issue with the manual transmission. The transmission was shifting fine a couple weeks ago, and then today when I took it for a spin there was no 4th gear. Then on the way home 2nd went out too.

I removed the intake hose so that I could inspect the shifter cables. They looked fine I suppose, since they were connected and seemed to move freely. I then noticed the passenger side of the shifter cable bracket on the transmission was bent from the accident. I straightened it out, but the car is still refusing to stay in 2nd or shift into 4th. WTH?

Last edited by Grip Grip; 03-17-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:27 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
[QUOTE=Grip Grip;4375627]Well, I thought I was done, but I still have a few bugs to work out. Looks like 'Whine not Walnuts' was right about the hinges. The driver side is giving me issues, so I'll need to replace it. I also need to find a replacement wind deflector, or at the least the missing upper half. Other than that, I think I'm good to go in regards to aesthetics.

One thing that has me scratching my head is intermittent issue with the manual transmission. The transmission was shifting fine a couple weeks ago, and then today when I took it for a spin there was no 4th gear. Then on the way home 2nd went out too.

I removed the intake hose so that I could inspect the shifter cables. They looked fine I suppose, since they were connected and seemed to move freely. I then noticed the passenger side of the shifter cable bracket on the transmission was bent from the accident. I straightened it out, but the car is still refusing to stay in 2nd or shift into 4th. WTH?

[/QU

Red is a solid color with no metallic pigments so you should not be for a big expense here. How does it match the other body panels?

The following users liked this post:
blue al (03-18-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53

Red is a solid color with no metallic pigments so you should not be for a big expense here. How does it match the other body panels?
The bumper covers and hood match great. I rattle canned the hinges, which look fine with the base coat finish under the hood.

I think my transmission issue is the clutch sticking. I'm going to bleed the slave cyl tonight and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, I'll likely be motivated enough to swap out the old hood hinges. If not, I'll likely throw a match in the car and cook up some smores.

As for wind deflector, I meant something like the pic below. I'm missing the top half of mine.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
So you are missing the main piece? Or part of it? The other panels looks great, well done. I remeber people painting red and some panesl look more pink sometimes then others.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-or-mesh.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
So you are missing the main piece? Or part of it? The other panels looks great, well done. I remeber people painting red and some panesl look more pink sometimes then others.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-or-mesh.html
I'm missing the top half.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Oh that stink, yea no part for that. Looks like it got snapped off on the top half.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Ok, finally figured out my transmission problem. Apparently, the pin in the shifter assembly was sheered in the accident, so it would slip and fail to engage gears. I removed the assembly, removed the sheered pin, and installed a grade 8 bolt in it's place. Car was driving perfect today.

I even installed the new hood hinges and hood badge today. A couple days ago I installed the Xenon headlights, which the seller neglected to tell me had a broken mounting tab. :(

Anyway, time for the Dept of Rev inspection for a rebuilt title.

Actually, I need to install some chrome headlight washer caps too while I'm at it.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 03-31-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Wow!
You saved a beauty.
Very nice work.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:35 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Beautiful job. That's a keeper.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah that looks excellent!

Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Wow!
You saved a beauty.
Very nice work.
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Beautiful job. That's a keeper.
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah that looks excellent!

Thanks. I've only got a few minor things to resolve and it'll be good to go. I've ordered the vinyl stripes for the hood and hopefully I don't screw them up. The next issue is a code that's triggering a CEL: "Kurbelgehaeuseentlueftungsheizung, Control: line break Code: 0037DE" I think this translates to "ENGINE VENTILATION, HEATING".

Anyway, after that I've got to recharge the AC system. Whoop Whoop!

Not a crazy list anymore, but a list nonetheless.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Thats an open circuit in the PCV heating element located in the intake tube. Check the two pin connector going to it and make sure its all the way in. If there is an open it will trigger a code on the N18 but not the N14.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Thats an open circuit in the PCV heating element located in the intake tube. Check the two pin connector going to it and make sure its all the way in. If there is an open it will trigger a code on the N18 but not the N14.
Wow, from Kurbelgehaeuseentlueftungsheizung to a PVC heating element in the in the intake tube. Who knew there was a heating element there.

Go you! It is great reading these threads. You never know what you will learn.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Well here's the finished project. No codes, no dash lights, everything is working and the hood stripes are installed. I'm really looking forward to doing nothing the next few weeks besides driving it and enjoying the good weather, if it ever comes.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
bravo...

good job and good luck with the part-out too

Old 04-17-2018, 07:13 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
bravo...

good job and good luck with the part-out too
Thanks. I'm getting close to fire-selling off everything. I hate the part-out portion, but it was a necessary evil in order to stay within budget.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
What a great looking car. If/when you decide to sell, make sure you offer it to your friends on the forum before you list it elsewhere. We may have a bidding war.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniCPA
What a great looking car. If/when you decide to sell, make sure you offer it to your friends on the forum before you list it elsewhere. We may have a bidding war.
Thanks. From past experience I've found it difficult to sell cars on their respective forums, but I guess you never know. I actually already have it listed locally to test the waters, and also because I think it will take a long time to sell due to the rebuilt title. I'll be driving it for a couple months at least before I'm willing to drop the price low enough to get any local interest.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
The local buyer will see the rebuilt title first and may not even call. We see the repairs being done over the past few months as our starting point. If I didn't already have my quota of MINIs (1), I would be interested even with the drive to pick it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R58 Picked up a bruised '14 today, here goes the rebuild