R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Has Anyone Driven the mk7 GTI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Tuner86
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Driven the mk7 GTI?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and potential new-owner of an r58 coupe. I'm looking to trade my 2015 GTI in for something a bit more exciting and I really love what I've been hearing about the Mini Coupe. From what I've seen in video reviews everyone seems to say that it's a very communicative and visceral car, which is exactly what I want. But, I was reading posts from members here, and they stated that the mini coupe is fairly numb in day to day driving, so I'm not really sure what to make of all that. Is it a fun and communicative daily or numb?

If anyone has driven the GTI and could compare the two that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, and probably the biggest question is whether or not I could fit comfortably. I'm 6'3 and track my cars so I would need to be able to fit well with a helmet. I know I'd have more room in other Mini's, but man I really love the styling of the Coupe.

I'll be test driving one next week, but still appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by Tuner86; 01-02-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:12 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Never had a GTI nor a Gen2/3 MINI but there are many that will tell you the the Gen1 is most raw of the MINIs. The best comparison is in a past Gen3 thread when a guy said he loved his new MINI as when he was going 100 it felt like he was going only 70. A Gen1 rebutted by saying he wanted a car that when he was going 70 it would feel like he was going 100.

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (12-31-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Relative to size, I am 6-3 and my son is 6-7, no problems fitting in my Gen1.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting topic....My son had a 2011 GTI, which I drove numerous times when visiting him .My wife also drove it .last year sonny boy traded up into a 2015 GTI and when we visited ( he lives on O'ahu) we both again spent a fair bit of time driving his GTI.

We have an '05 R53 MCS, stick , both GTI were automatics. Oddly enough My wife and I both disliked the 2011 GTI across the board, feel, comfort, seating position, and what I to call "charm".Certainly no lack of power and great handling, but zero on the charm scale.

What's interesting, at least to me, is that we both found the 2015 GTI much more likable, though nothing was said until we were home and talking about our visit to sonny boy and family.Hard to define the factors that changed our opinion, but probably normal prodyct improvement cycle stuff.

I still far prefer my older R53, and have no interest in selling it or buying anything Mini has done since mid-2006....I think they have left behind the folks who bought Minis based on their fondness for the original concept and have moved on into a different market.

If you have not had the chance to drive an R53 hard, you won't know what you're missing, and that's OK, I can't say the newer iterations of the MCS really float my boat, but then there's "charm" I still giggle when I get in my R53 after 10 years of ownership.
If that R58 coupe gives you the giggles, or maniacal laughter, then I'd say go for it.

Mad Gepetto

Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Tuner86
Neutral
Unfortunately, that seems to be the trend for almost every sports car out there. The older generation is usually the sportier, more raw option. Probably the biggest reason for that is everyone adopting electric steering, cars becoming bigger and heavier doesn't help either. So if I were to stay relatively new I think that's going to be an obstacle no matter which manufacture I go with. Since this will be my daily, I am leaning towards buying as new and low miles as possible. In hopes that it will be more reliable and last longer. So, my main thing is simply being better than the GTI. If the r58 electric steering is better than the GTI's, I'll be happy. That's my bar.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuner86
Unfortunately, that seems to be the trend for almost every sports car out there. The older generation is usually the sportier, more raw option. Probably the biggest reason for that is everyone adopting electric steering, cars becoming bigger and heavier doesn't help either. So if I were to stay relatively new I think that's going to be an obstacle no matter which manufacture I go with. Since this will be my daily, I am leaning towards buying as new and low miles as possible. In hopes that it will be more reliable and last longer. So, my main thing is simply being better than the GTI. If the r58 electric steering is better than the GTI's, I'll be happy. That's my bar.

The R58 is by far a better car than Gen 1 and a real sports car, The frame design and dynamics are stiffer, it handles better and there is more interior space than the HT because it is a 2 seater.

On sport mode, the steering is heavier and very responsive, You will not be disappointed. I owned many real sports cars in my life and I still enjoy my daily commute with my JCW Coupe after more than 3 years from new.

Take your time to buy one if for track use and furthermore make sure it will be a factory JCW because there are a lot of goodies you will have to pay the big price later. The S has no big brakes, sport suspension and the 208HP tuned and stronger built engine.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Love my R58 S. Owned a fiat spider and honda crx before. No comparison.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Tuner86
Neutral
Appreciate all the feedback, I think at the very least the chassis will be more engaging and sportier than my GTI. So I'm pretty excited to give one of these a go.

I only have 3 JCW Coupe's for sale within a 200 mile range of me though. Here's the best one within my budget: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WMWSX5C50CT141126

I'm a little concerned that it was a fleet vehicle, not sure how it was used. What do you guys think?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I have. Just put the Seat down and all the way back on the R58. My brother is 6,2 and fits fine. Then adjust forward. The R58 feels like a Porsche Boxster on the inside as size wise. Little more headroom I feel because of the cut-out bumps in the headliner. The R58 feels like a go-kart Coupe, much like a really good fwd Porsche. Turn in is great and you can beat the thing around on a track. The GTI does not feel like that, it's like a softer version of an R56. But does not have the handling. Two different cars in my opinion. Not really much like the MINI on the market.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Tuner86
Neutral
Hey, good to see a shop that I (and my wallet) are familiar with over here.

You guys have me sold, I just hope I can find a clean jcw asap.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thats good, I have a JCW Coupe. My search took a while, like almost a couple years to find the right one for the right price. But I already had another JCW so I could wait. If it was my first one I could not wait.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuner86
Appreciate all the feedback, I think at the very least the chassis will be more engaging and sportier than my GTI. So I'm pretty excited to give one of these a go.

I only have 3 JCW Coupe's for sale within a 200 mile range of me though. Here's the best one within my budget: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WMWSX5C50CT141126

I'm a little concerned that it was a fleet vehicle, not sure how it was used. What do you guys think?

Don't be turned off by looking farther than your actual shopping range. Transportation is not that expensive. You will find a far better one with lower mileage and the N18 engine for peace of mind.