North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012-379/)
-   -   R58 In love but worried or “My R58 Coupe S vs MN winter” (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012/321446-in-love-but-worried-or-imy-r58-coupe-s-vs-mn-wintern.html)

rdblkcoupe13 11-23-2017 02:01 AM

In love but worried or “My R58 Coupe S vs MN winter”

Just pulled the trigger on the gorgeous beauty.

I am really worried about frozen windows. For some reason It did not occur to me to research about the windows PRIOR to buying.
However after driving it now for a few days, I have begun to see how frozen or stuck windows could be a big problem. Minnesota winters can be brutal.

This is my daily driver and I guess I’m looking for suggestions on how to avoid the issue. I do have some dry 3M silicone lubricant coming, as I read that treating your rubber seals will help keep a water barrier.

Im also reading about frozen doors?

Any advice?

rdblkcoupe13 11-23-2017 02:02 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...4f5d41a89.jpeg

Whine not Walnuts 11-23-2017 05:11 AM

Grew up in CNY so know snow, 30 below temps (not windchill) and lots of ice. Would think the MINI is no different than other cars in that weather. You parking the car outside?

rdblkcoupe13 11-23-2017 09:34 AM

YES parking outside. Working on changing that but for the near future it’s outside.

Whine not Walnuts 11-23-2017 11:48 AM

My truck was parked out side all the time. The only times I had the doors want to stick closed was after freezing rain. Once the vehicle warms up the ice on the windows will usually melt so you can open the window.

A remote starter will help allot

minirab 11-23-2017 01:55 PM

Beg, borrow or steal enough cash for a beater and leave the R58 in the shed for the
winter.

dube53 11-23-2017 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by rdblkcoupe13 (Post 4347029)

I am really worried about frozen windows. For some reason It did not occur to me to research about the windows PRIOR to buying.
However after driving it now for a few days, I have begun to see how frozen or stuck windows could be a big problem. Minnesota winters can be brutal.

This is my daily driver and I guess I’m looking for suggestions on how to avoid the issue. I do have some dry 3M silicone lubricant coming, as I read that treating your rubber seals will help keep a water barrier.

Any advice?

Congratulations for your purchase but this is not a car for winter driving conditions furthermore if it is the daily driver you must rely on in bad weather.

I move to WA 2 years ago from living in the desert. My driving experience in winter (not even with snow here but freezing rain) is always challenging .... the car is low, wide and short, tricky to handle on even a bit of snow when we have or even worse close to freezing point road conditions.

Remember the Coupe is lower than the HT and others and it may be the best rocket of all on dry pavement but forget to be brave when everything gets wet.

The Coupe cabin ventilation is far below average in winter and windshield defrost will take more than average time. Same for the side windows as they become covered with ice.

As for the doors locks......... they are ok

Good luck.

rdblkcoupe13 11-25-2017 03:07 AM

Lots to consider here. Thanks for your advice!

ShipM8 11-26-2017 07:26 AM

Approaching my sixth winter in my Mini (not as snazzy as yours) and I haven't had any problems, but I do have a garage. Snow tires help a lot. No issues with window or doors.

TheBigNewt 11-27-2017 09:21 AM

One thing I remember seeing was some some dude whose spoiler would freeze and wouldn't raise when he drove over 50 mph. You can't disable the thing evidently. I don't remember that its trying in vain to raise up messed anything up though. Uber on real bad days?

dube53 11-27-2017 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 4348026)
One thing I remember seeing was some some dude whose spoiler would freeze and wouldn't raise when he drove over 50 mph. You can't disable the thing evidently. I don't remember that its trying in vain to raise up messed anything up though. Uber on real bad days?

The spoiler motor may have a cut-off to void damage the same way as the side windows down feature when stuck to the top of the weatherstrip.

This make matter worse because the Coupe has no rain gutters and the side glass just sit on the very stiff rubber surface.

rdblkcoupe13 12-09-2017 04:01 AM

Had my first real test this week with very bad icy roads. It handled as well as I hoped, it was terrible driving conditions but I kept her on the road.

I did did apply some silicone dry lubricant to the window rubbers, and so far no problems at all.

ShipM8 12-09-2017 06:34 AM

One thing I worry about are "ice boogers" that fall off of vehicles. Some of them can be pretty big and I'm always worried that I'll bash in the front of my car.

rdblkcoupe13 01-13-2018 04:32 AM

I have to give an update!! It has been a bitterly cold winter so far here in MN. Not too much snow yet, but we have had many days -0 with wind chills reaching -20 or more. I am happy to report that my mini has had no problems at all. It does seem like I should get some winter tires. I have all season tires on it, but maybe next winter ill get a set of snow tires.

Anyways all is well here in MN.

iwashmycar 01-13-2018 08:51 AM

If you have the stock runflats, switching to snow tires will change your life. I just did so a couple days ago. The stock tires are so hard, and with the weather get even harder. I can assure you if you hit a pothole with one, the rim is bending since the tire simply doesn't give any.

I cannot recommend it enough.

Eddie07S 01-13-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by rdblkcoupe13 (Post 4347029)

Any advice?

Hey, welcome aboard! Nice, really nice MINI. :thumbsup:

We have had MINIs since 2003 in up State NY and have seen about every winter condition. I used to take mine to go skiing (now I have a Wrangler for that). They are great in the snow and even better with good snow tires. We have "studless ice and snow" tires on our 2004 MINI and they are fantastic and are non-RFTs. I put "performance" RFT snows on my S as I never wanted to deal with a flat in a -10 deg F snow storm (guess what happened to me the first winter I had them :razz:). For me the secret to having RFTs on the car was to get rid of the MINI shocks. My choice was the Bilstien B8s but I would recommend the B4s or B6s or the Koni FSDs. As for the "performance" aspect of these tires, they were not as good as the studless ice and snows. If I could find them I would do a studless ice and snow that is made as a RFT.

I have had to deal with the "window" freeze a few times. My solutions is to carry a small ice scraper to use to push down on the rubber seal to loosen it. I have never damaged the seal and it has always worked.

The MINI battery has been an issue on my 2012 (I am on my second and that is about to be replaced). While it has always started the car, its voltage level has never been good. The replacement we put into the '04 was a NAPA battery that was much better.

Lastly, if you drive on salted roads, do a warm water rinse on the underside of the car as often as you can.

Oh, also, enjoy! :thumbsup:

seamonkey420 01-18-2018 06:40 PM

that other MN guy w/a coupe :)

wassup buddy!! yea, i've had my Bonnie since 2013 and have had great luck w/her in the snow and winter. i haven't broken down and gotten winter tires yet but for the most part she drives very well in snow and ice. main thing w/slippery conditions, tap your DSC button to turn traction control off or else you'll be sitting in one spot. i also recommend up shifting to 2 when at stop lights, makes it easier to get traction by limiting initial wheel spin ;)

pic for attention.. also, i think i saw you on the freeway a while back too. i keep seeing a few more coupes in the area.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...7c2c1bcfc.jpeg

Bonnie in Dec 2017. 4 1/2 years old now. ;)

GeneralSpecific 02-08-2018 07:44 PM

ahh it does fine in the winter just get a set of steelies, winter tires, and Bob's yer' uncle.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...b8e729a138.jpg

ShipM8 02-09-2018 05:59 AM

Looking good. I've had the same steel wheels for three years now and they (and the tires) have done a fine job. One thing I'll probably have to do this coming summer (it will be here) is to touch up the wheels since there some rust popping through on a few spots. Also, if you want to make the wheels look a little less Mad Max you can get covers for the centers...I think I got mine from ECS. They are sort of star-shaped and easy to install (you have to loosen the lugs).

GeneralSpecific 02-11-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShipM8 (Post 4366647)
Looking good. I've had the same steel wheels for three years now and they (and the tires) have done a fine job. One thing I'll probably have to do this coming summer (it will be here) is to touch up the wheels since there some rust popping through on a few spots. Also, if you want to make the wheels look a little less Mad Max you can get covers for the centers...I think I got mine from ECS. They are sort of star-shaped and easy to install (you have to loosen the lugs).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the covers. I didn't have them on in the picture there (which is from last year) but I have a set. They look pretty nice, I think. I'm fortunate that mine haven't rusted yet but I know from experience that over a number of years they'll get a few spots started. Nothing too bad, honestly I only ever use them in the winter so I don't care so much how it looks :)

ECSTuning 02-13-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShipM8 (Post 4366647)

Yep, they are here, most people dont know about them.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...size-rims.html

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...7931ebe60a.jpg