R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 scooter lift

Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 AM
Chili Pirate
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scooter lift

2014 hatchback, lift for electric scooter?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
two things:

1. What's the question? Are you looking for a recommendation for a 'scooter' lift that would fit your MINI? aka medical scooter?

2. You have put your post in the area specific to the 'coupe' model aka R58 ... it appears you have a hatch aka R56. You might get more response if you repost there ....

My quick look shows me several sources for scooter lifts that attach to the car via a standard trailer hitch. there are a couple of options for hitches for MINI so this looks like a viable path .... BUT the ones I saw require a CLASS II hitch or better due to the weight and I'm not aware of a CLASS II hitch for the MINI. For example the popular MINIDOMORE hitch is class one with a 'maximum tongue weight' of 200 lbs while the lift has a 375 maximum weight ..... for the tongue that would be 375 PLUS the weight of the lift ..... = problem.

In THEORY, if the total weight of your hitch mounted lift AND the scooter did not exceed 200 pounds you could 'get away with' the MINIDOMORE hitch but I would CAUTION that I've seen several reports of this hitch failing when the 'tongue weight' was reported to be way under 200 pounds. My guess is "dynamic load" .... meaning if you hang 150 pounds on the tongue, hit a bump and it BOUNCES it can exert 500 pounds of force on the tongue ... OOPS, hitch cracks ..... The hitch was recently redesigned/improved to address this issue. Is it fixed? I dunno, don't own one.

Have I helped?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 10-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
two things:

1. What's the question? Are you looking for a recommendation for a 'scooter' lift that would fit your MINI? aka medical scooter?

2. You have put your post in the area specific to the 'coupe' model aka R58 ... it appears you have a hatch aka R56. You might get more response if you repost there ....

My quick look shows me several sources for scooter lifts that attach to the car via a standard trailer hitch. there are a couple of options for hitches for MINI so this looks like a viable path .... BUT the ones I saw require a CLASS II hitch or better due to the weight and I'm not aware of a CLASS II hitch for the MINI. For example the popular MINIDOMORE hitch is class one with a 'maximum tongue weight' of 200 lbs while the lift has a 375 maximum weight ..... for the tongue that would be 375 PLUS the weight of the lift ..... = problem.

In THEORY, if the total weight of your hitch mounted lift AND the scooter did not exceed 200 pounds you could 'get away with' the MINIDOMORE hitch but I would CAUTION that I've seen several reports of this hitch failing when the 'tongue weight' was reported to be way under 200 pounds. My guess is "dynamic load" .... meaning if you hang 150 pounds on the tongue, hit a bump and it BOUNCES it can exert 500 pounds of force on the tongue ... OOPS, hitch cracks ..... The hitch was recently redesigned/improved to address this issue. Is it fixed? I dunno, don't own one.

Have I helped?

I believe this is a joke LOL