R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Brake light bulb carrier/housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light bulb carrier/housing

I've got about 49K miles on my 2013 S Coupe. The driver's rear brake light went out and my service rep's immediate response was "Driver's side? Don't assume it's just the bulb; you might need a whole new housing." That was my first sign that there have been significant quality problems with that part.

Today I stopped back in to have it assessed. "Rear left tail light bulb carrier melted" was the verdict. The dealer would not cover it under warranty ($262.67 estimate) and told me to contact MINI Customer Service. They would then refer it to the regional rep who has the authority to approve extending warranty coverage. My car is 4 years and 5 months old, so I'm under on mileage but over on age.

Has anyone else dealt with this defect? How about advice on convincing them to cover it? I plan to call on Monday. TIA...

ps. Last week I had the dealer replace the front brakes. Then the brake light warning light came on the following day. I assumed that's a coincidence but now I'm wondering...

Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Deli
I've got about 49K miles on my 2013 S Coupe. The driver's rear brake light went out and my service rep's immediate response was "Driver's side? Don't assume it's just the bulb; you might need a whole new housing." That was my first sign that there have been significant quality problems with that part.

Today I stopped back in to have it assessed. "Rear left tail light bulb carrier melted" was the verdict. The dealer would not cover it under warranty ($262.67 estimate) and told me to contact MINI Customer Service. They would then refer it to the regional rep who has the authority to approve extending warranty coverage. My car is 4 years and 5 months old, so I'm under on mileage but over on age.

Has anyone else dealt with this defect? How about advice on convincing them to cover it? I plan to call on Monday. TIA...

ps. Last week I had the dealer replace the front brakes. Then the brake light warning light came on the following day. I assumed that's a coincidence but now I'm wondering...

This is a common problem. They replaced the entire left tail light on mine in January 2017 and replaced the left side marker at the last service maintenance about 2 months ago. I have 36K and still covered by warranty until 8/18. The reason was connectors corrosion.

This doesn't look good for the future and seems a car prone to electrical problems. It will be a major factor in my decision to keep it or not at the end of the warranty.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:29 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Had no idea it was a common issue. Going to take a look at mine!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Deli
6th Gear
Well, I had a good talk with the customer service rep this morning. She was transmitting my information to the regional rep who has authority to extend the warranty. Hopefully the following factors will work in my favor:

1. This is my second MINI.
2. I purchased it from the dealer.
3. I've used that dealer for all servicing (including new brake pads purchased two weeks ago).
4. It's a safety issue, a clearly known defect, and is not related to customer abuse (i.e., it's different than a clutch cable or brake pads).

She said a decision will take no more than a week. Stay tuned...

Old 08-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Well, that was quick! I just got a call from the MINI dealer. The regional rep contacted them and said they would discount the repair by $50 (about 20 percent). Wow, that sucks. I contrast that with an experience I had last year with a Camry Hybrid. It was 8-1/2 years old with 105K miles--out of warranty on the basis of age and mileage. The hybrid battery died, and they decided to extend the warranty and fully cover the $3,600 replacement.

Some companies do the right thing; others don't. Live and learn...

Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep, its the tabs on some of the sockets, its like they dont make complete contact and arc. I had no issue on my R58, but some people had issues on the older taillights. Couple on the newer.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...il-lights.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Deli
6th Gear
I just filed a safety report online at safercar.gov. If enough folks do it may trigger a recall.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Deli
Well, that was quick! I just got a call from the MINI dealer. The regional rep contacted them and said they would discount the repair by $50 (about 20 percent). Wow, that sucks. I contrast that with an experience I had last year with a Camry Hybrid. It was 8-1/2 years old with 105K miles--out of warranty on the basis of age and mileage. The hybrid battery died, and they decided to extend the warranty and fully cover the $3,600 replacement.

Some companies do the right thing; others don't. Live and learn...

Don't accept this as a settlement in your case. Call BMW America and file a complain and stay by your guns. You will see they will change their mind very fast.

This is a design and manufacturing flaw that may cause other serious damage. There are many others. They will listen and they are already aware of.

I filled a complain for the JCW sport seat fabric about a year ago and now, they are covered for 10 years/100k.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Deli
6th Gear
A call to BMW of North America did no good. Time to ramp it up...

Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 PM
fonseca
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no shortage of OEM used single taillights on ebay that regularly sell in the $25-50 range. For instance, item #252998992762 is $49 with free shipping and looks like it's in good condition. Doesn't take five minutes to install.

A set of new aftermarket taillights can be had for $100-200.

I understand the principle of forcing the matter, but I'd rather DIY than argue with a dealership, which is why I elected not to get an extended warranty. There's always an excuse why something is not covered.

Last edited by fonseca; 08-17-2017 at 07:09 PM.