R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Good source for side mirror caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM
MINIgrl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good source for side mirror caps

I just purchased a BRG II 2015 MCS with a silver roof and stripes. The current mirror caps are B/W checkered and, while they are eye-catching, I just don't feel like they go with the look. The interior is black with the black/grey check on the dash trim.
I don't know if it is because the Coupes were offered in such a limited time frame, but I am not finding the variety of options I was hoping for.

I am looking for:
1) opinions on replacement side mirror caps - Silver? Black? Black/grey check?, and
2) a good source to buy said caps.

Note - this car was completely an impulse buy! I had a 2003 VR/W MC for 9 years (>200k miles and still going strong!), then switched to a 2012 W/B Countryman as my daily driver. Although it was a Mini, it drove like a "mom car". My husband saw this on the lot when he was buying a car, told me I needed to see it, and I was driving it 2 hours later. That was 4 days ago and I am so glad I made the switch!!! This is what driving a Mini is supposed to feel like!

TIA,
Jeannine

Old 07-25-2017, 04:41 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The caps are all the same at that year across hatch, Clubman, Convertible and Roadster, the only difference is there is one set for power folding mirrors and one set for cars without that. You could always just Plastidip or wrap the ones you have too.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
http://www.outmotoring.com/_search.p...ap&categoryid=

btw, except for the caps with things like flags or checkerboard what you are gonna find is a 'blank' which you can paint to your heart's content

mirror caps are small and 'simple' so they make a great first project into the world of automotive painting.

You can buy rattle cans at Home Despots if you see a color that you like

or get 'real auto paint' at a place like www.automotivetouchup.com

here you can also see some instruction on how to properly apply modern base/clear paint systems .....

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-29-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIgrl
This is what driving a Mini is supposed to feel like!
Jeannine, I totally agree with you! With the discontinuation of the 2-seaters I wonder what options I'll have for my next car. I have no desire to go back to a four-seater!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Deli
Jeannine, I totally agree with you! With the discontinuation of the 2-seaters I wonder what options I'll have for my next car. I have no desire to go back to a four-seater!
test drive a Miata ..... while 'different' they would not have been around for so long if the concept was wrong (unlike a certain other item we can skip mentioning)

They ARE rear wheel drive and there are folks who love to debate the pro and con ... but some call the Miata the best British roadster ever made .... (yes I KNOW it isn't British ... that's the point)

Not long ago I lived in an area with a bunch of nice twisty two lane roads thru hills. Sunday afternoon drives were a highlight of my week. Problem was picking the car of the day as in the garage was a 2002 Cooper S, a 1995 Miata and a 1979 Mini (kinda modified) ... so I've driven all 3 on the same roads, more than once ..... I'm NOT saying which was best, they were all a BLAST and different ......

all I'll say is DON'T try and dis the Miata to this guy. Mine is a 95 with over 250,000 miles and going strong with no 'out of the expected' repairs. (Needs paint tho .... Miata was one of the LAST to convert to base/clear) Used Miatas are known for reliability and low maint' cost .....

Mrs bought a 2015 R59 last year rather than a new Miata primarily due to ride height .... the R59 sits taller and as we get older that matters!!!!! R59 is easier to get in/out for us old farts.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-29-2017 at 02:38 PM.