R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Window Problem on 2012 Coupe S

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Problem on 2012 Coupe S

I am not clear whether this issue is the "auto up" issue I have read about or something else.

What we all know: The Coupe cracks the window open a little to make the door easier to close.

Mine has now begun cracking the window open but never closing it. Upon a subsequent opening of the door, it may OR MAY NOT lower the window some more, but it will NEVER raise it back up until I pull the window switch up and do it myself.

I have long anticipated that the car would start doing this, as the Coupe seems to have incorporated all of the design flaws from the MKI TT, including the exact same window regulator problem.

Please tell me that there is a non-heartbreaking/expensive fix for this. Do I follow the reset procedure I read about regarding "auto up?" Those posts sound to me like the owners are complaining that they can't flip the window switch up and let go and have the window close on its own.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
IME the reset procedure fixes this 90% of the time .... all my MINIs have had this 'feature' and the reset procedure has worked on both the GEN1 and GEN2 hardtop ... have not had an issue with the R59 .... friend with an 04 just had his car start having issues, and reset pro' fixed it right up ....

MINIs don't have 'auto up' or one touch up and this PO's many folks. There was an add on for GEN1's at one time but the guy who made them went away and no one picked up the item ... it was popular.

The following users liked this post:
Longitudinal (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Longitudinal
1st Gear
Very good.

The reset procedure you speak of is the official one involving holding the switch after the window has rolled all the way up and again after it has rolled all the way down, yes?

I read another procedure that involved pulling out the fob and rolling up and down but not holding.

What happens the other 10% of the time? I read one post that the second procedure made the problem worse. The windows were stuck down afterward if I recall.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
yep ... just the down and hold and up and hold ... no fob involvement IME

and IME the problem goes away

the other 10% of the time the motor is messed up and you need to replace.

But that does not necessarily mean a dealer ripoff either. by my house there's a guy that fixes power windows - replaces 'regulators - for a fraction of the dealer charge. Check your yellow pages for 'power window repair'.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is true that one-touch up ins't available generally however if you really want it, it can be coded to work. I've done it myself in my R58.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
MINIs don't have 'auto up' or one touch up and this PO's many folks. There was an add on for GEN1's at one time but the guy who made them went away and no one picked up the item ... it was popular.
Not strictly true. Our 2012 Clubman has auto up, for example. I always forget to use it because my Roadster doesn't have it though. It's not there on the convertible, Roadster or Coupe because they don't have the anti pinch sensors, they don't work with the convertible top and the Coupe is really a Roadster base with a top on. You can have it coded though, I had it done but lost it to a software update once.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
It is true that one-touch up ins't available generally however if you really want it, it can be coded to work. I've done it myself in my R58.
What program did you use? I just moved from a R56 to a R58 and miss that feature. Can the Carly app be used to do this? TIA

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Last I checked, Carly wouldn't do it. I used NCSexpert. I'll take a look this weekend but I don't think Carly has it.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:17 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phxsteele
What program did you use? I just moved from a R56 to a R58 and miss that feature. Can the Carly app be used to do this? TIA
I've successfully coded auto-up using the Carista app. Worked like a charm!