R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 I'm gonna do the Stage 1 Tune (finally).

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm gonna do the Stage 1 Tune (finally).

I've been contemplating it for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger for a ManicMini ECU tune for my 2014 JCW Coupe this Saturday in Tempe, AZ. Found a guy who's done them on G2 cars for quite awhile. $500 says it only takes about an hour, he updates the car's firmware first. I'll be pumped to see how this affects the car's performance, which is pretty good IMO. And I get 33 MPG on the highway. Stay "tuned".

Old 06-21-2017, 12:50 PM
ChuxBiz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watching closely! Just don't have anyone that I know/trust locally.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ChuxBiz
I'll try and remember to ask the dude if he knows of anyone in FL who does it. This guy actually works at a place that sells used cars and fixes foreign cars. I think he's mainly a mechanic there.

The following users liked this post:
ChuxBiz (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually shipped my ECU to MarioKart.

Hey, if you're getting a tune you should really consider getting an intercooler too. Especially since you're in Arizona - the stock intercooler is marginal at best and can't compare to the extra charge cooling from an aftermarket intercooler.

(sweet looking JCW, by the way. I'm envious!)

Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I've been contemplating it for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger for a ManicMini ECU tune for my 2014 JCW Coupe this Saturday in Tempe, AZ. Found a guy who's done them on G2 cars for quite awhile. $500 says it only takes about an hour, he updates the car's firmware first. I'll be pumped to see how this affects the car's performance, which is pretty good IMO. And I get 33 MPG on the highway. Stay "tuned".
You're gonna love it.
We always update the ECU before installing the tune also as this puts it on the latest files.
Also be prepared as it will take more than an hour as often it can take 30-45min just for one of the 3 files to load

You're welcome to come to Atlanta or ship the ECU to us.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Congratulations TheBigNewt! If it's a Manic Tune I have no doubt you will love it. I would clarify on the 35 minutes quoted though. Perhaps he meant 35 minutes to update the factory file. When I install a Manic Tune it takes an hour and a half to an hour and forty five minutes. Add another half an hour in total to run a diagnostic before and datalog each map afterwards.

Traditional boot mode tuning via opening the ECU, downloading the flash, altering the maps in WinOLS via script and flashing the file back can be done in about 35 minutes if the ECU cover doesn't fight too much coming off.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
You are most likely talking about Jerry at Lesueur aka Eurotechs. He is the only one in the valley I will trust with my MINI. He will take great care of you.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by phxsteele
You are most likely talking about Jerry at Lesueur aka Eurotechs. He is the only one in the valley I will trust with my MINI. He will take great care of you.
Yep, Jerry at Lesueur did it on Saturday and I took about 2 hours for $500. To be honest I thought the car was pretty much fast enough which is why I didn't do it before, but MAN is it freaking fast now! And it applies pretty much throughout the powerband, not just when I step on it and it downshifts. And it even has a new pop/burble from the exhaust when I let off the throttle. Not every time, just sometimes. Shoulda done it earlier. He said it's a lot better than the JB+ module because it does other stuff, like the fuel mixture. I highly recommend this tune.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM
ChuxBiz
2nd Gear
Dang, sounds good to me. I've just rolled over 6k miles on mine, so I maybe should wait 'till closer to end of warranty? Still wish I knew of someplace local. I've no problem with shipping, except for the turnaround and hassle in case there's a problem. If there's gonna' be one, I'll be the one!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Dang, sounds good to me. I've just rolled over 6k miles on mine, so I maybe should wait 'till closer to end of warranty? Still wish I knew of someplace local. I've no problem with shipping, except for the turnaround and hassle in case there's a problem. If there's gonna' be one, I'll be the one!
6k miles, what car do you have a 2015 JCW R58? Just drive 300 miles to Atlanta and let Way Motor Works do it for ya. Like I said I held out until my warranty expired, but I'll tell you you'll notice a big difference even on a JCW car. WHAM!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 AM
ChuxBiz
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I bought the car in Atlanta and promised myself that I'd never drive in that crazy place again if I made it out without a crash! I've driven in London and I've driven in LA, and I hope to never drive again in Atlanta!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We do a 24hr turn around on ECUs sent to us. Sometimes I can even ship it back out the same day we get it. That way it will minimize the time you have without the car.
So send it over and I'll get it done ASAP.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more