R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Another Exhaust Thread - Second Cat vs Resonator Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Jaaaggg
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Exhaust Thread - Second Cat vs Resonator Delete

I know this question has been asked thousands of times and trust me I have read through almost every thread I could find on this topic, but I am still a bit confused at the end.

I just installed a JCW muffler on my 13 MCcS, I really like the tone of the exhaust, but want to make it slightly louder without introducing a lot of boomy/bass filled drone.

I have seen lots of threads where people are either deleting the resonator or deleting both the secondary cat and resonator. I am trying to see if it just makes sense to remove both the cat and resonator and get that little performance bump from having no cat. But, worried that this would result in heavy bass type noise in the cabin during acceleration.

Anyone who was in a similar situation, please chime in.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
I'd start by removing the secondary cat but leave the resonator in. Drive it and see if you like it.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Jaaaggg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
I'd start by removing the secondary cat but leave the resonator in. Drive it and see if you like it.
Kinda just like the midpipe of the JCW cars that came with N14 engine? Where it didn't have a second cat, but just a resonator.

I haven't seen anyone do this though, usually all the videos and posts I saw were of the resonator being deleted or both the res and cat being deleted.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Jaaaggg
1st Gear
I went ahead and just deleted the resonator and left the second cat on. My recommendation for anyone doing a JCW muffler install on a MCS, do yourself a favor and get the resonator deleted at the same time, it makes a huge difference! It really brings out the tone of the JCW muffler and gives you a bit more volume, without adding any noticeable amount of drone.

You can choose to also delete the secondary cat for a slight gain in HP, but it alters the tone to a more deeper growl that has a more bass like sound at lower RPM. I prefer the high pitch mechanical sound that BMW M cars usually have, so the resonator delete did just what i was looking for.