R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 3 1/2 years in.. Still in love with my Bonnie (recap)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking 3 1/2 years in.. Still in love with my Bonnie (recap)

Bonnie - Born on March 14th 2013.

So it's now been over 3 and 1/2 years since i custom ordered and received my 2013 MINI Cooper S Coupe, Bonnie. With that much time behind the wheel of my R58, I thought I'd recap on my experience of owning my first ever MINI and also of owning the wackiest, most not normal MINI yet; the R58.

First question, do I have any regrets at all about buying my R58? If I could change anything about my purchase what would I change? Honestly, the only thing I would change about my R58 purchase and build was adding a few more options I didn't think I needed at the time vs now wishing I had.

The few options I do wish I would have gone with:
-Heated Seats (thought i didn't need them since i park in heated parking at home but at work.. i park on top of the parking lot lately, mn winters.. doh!)
-JCW model vs the S (i just want a little bit more power but have been making my way there via mods/upgrades but that aero kit!!)

The most used/appreciated options I did get:
-Adaptive Headlights; amazing! Xenon lights too!
-DCT; worth it!
-HK sound (mini connected; on the fence but i do use it since i did VIM code my car so i can play music videos/movies while driving)
-Fixed JCW rear spoiler (visibility is so much better!! and completes the design imo)

The best part of owning my Bonnie has been the attention she gets. Most people aren't sure what it is until they see the MINI logo and will guess either Porsche or Audi. So far everyone that has approached me falls in love w/the design and how cute she is. The part I like the most about the Coupe is that it's the stiffest/most rigid MINI (frame/body wise) since it's built on the roadster platform and in turn has a built in rear strutbar combined w/our hard tops.

The Coupes do not handle like a normal Hardtop; no they handle even better and feel even more planted on the road.

I'm still a single bachelor and the lack of rear seats has not ever been a problem; my friends all have SUVs so it's a bonus in that I'm never driving the group to the bar or gatherings and if anything; the kids get to ride with me and are pretty pumped!

The trunk cargo space is very spacious for the size of the car; i carry my camping and 72 hour off grid kit in it all year around and still have room for my small grocery trips i make.

So... TLDR: I LOVE MY BONNIE! I have been tempted by the new Countryman to upgrade but if I do.. My Bonnie will be going to spend the winters at my parent's farm in a barn w/a tarp on her. I will not be selling my bonnie ever... the R58 will be one of those rare MINIs that the hardcore mini owners will finally come to their senses about.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 01-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Bonnie is a good looking ride. I'm jealous of the JCW spoiler. (Sigh) So many mods and so little time.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Bonnie is a good looking ride. I'm jealous of the JCW spoiler. (Sigh) So many mods and so little time.
There's a company that makes a JCW Carbon Fiber spoiler. It's amazing.

http://mini.revozport.com/

Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yes, and 3D design makes the CF one for the stock automatic spoiler for the r59.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-wrapped.html

Congrats on the R58 Love, its my personal favorite MINI, just dont tell my R52 that

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, and 3D design makes the CF one for the stock automatic spoiler for the r59.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-wrapped.html

Congrats on the R58 Love, its my personal favorite MINI, just dont tell my R52 that
ZOMG! Is that like an extra lip on that thing?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes. Its like a duckbill design that you would find on most euro CF parts for BMW. AUDI. Except on the MINI 3D part its more pronounced.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes. Its like a duckbill design that you would find on most euro CF parts for BMW. AUDI. Except on the MINI 3D part its more pronounced.
Freaking epic!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
So that CF lip spoiler goes up and down like the stock one right? How much is that bad boy installed pray tell? I am also almost 3 yrs into my JCW Coupe and still love the car. I'm glad I got the JCW and the Recaro (heated!) seats, but not as glad as my wife is. Car handles superbly, takes corners much differently than my friends' 2016 MCS, way less body roll and understeer. Her car is very nice, don't get me wrong, but you can tell they are different handling animals right away. With the RFs the ride can be a tad harsh (my wife notices it but she drives a Honda Element). It's a great highway car too, less wind noise than my 2007 MCS. The sound system is top notch too. I made a good decision.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 01-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes.

Dont have the install cost as we dont install here or have shop cost. Its a quick install, see post #259, uses stock mounting points.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...toffee-11.html

Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I got a link from that 2012 thread, says CF spoiler by 3D cost $1350. YIKES! I think I'd rather have a MiniManiac ECU tune in Tempe for maybe half that amount.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:07 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I got a link from that 2012 thread, says CF spoiler by 3D cost $1350. YIKES! I think I'd rather have a MiniManiac ECU tune in Tempe for maybe half that amount.
$1350? Geez...at that price I hope they take you out on an expensive dinner and then off to see a French art-house indy film on existentialism before they pull your pants down.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:58 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
So that CF lip spoiler goes up and down like the stock one right? How much is that bad boy installed pray tell? I am also almost 3 yrs into my JCW Coupe and still love the car. I'm glad I got the JCW and the Recaro (heated!) seats, but not as glad as my wife is. Car handles superbly, takes corners much differently than my friends' 2016 MCS, way less body roll and understeer. Her car is very nice, don't get me wrong, but you can tell they are different handling animals right away. With the RFs the ride can be a tad harsh (my wife notices it but she drives a Honda Element). It's a great highway car too, less wind noise than my 2007 MCS. The sound system is top notch too. I made a good decision.
yes , yes you did!!! so much envy on the Recaro seats! and jcw factor! just wish mini would sell only the JCW tune for us S owners w/upgraded exhaust.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by LORDVDR
$1350? Geez...at that price I hope they take you out on an expensive dinner and then off to see a French art-house indy film on existentialism before they pull your pants down.

omg!! yes! but damn.. it looks good! also.. i have my original active spoiler still if anyone is looking for a replacement. it is in metallic blue though w/the silver stripes

Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
yes , yes you did!!! so much envy on the Recaro seats! and jcw factor! just wish mini would sell only the JCW tune for us S owners w/upgraded exhaust.
They do. It's the pro tuning kit.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-22-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
👍😁