R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 LORDVDR: The ALL4 R58 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
This may ruffle some feathers but... Having tuned more than a few meth equipped Mini's and knowing issues that occurred later on I would recommend the following depending on your budget and expectations:

1. Howerton Engineering Aquamist HSF-4 kit.
2. Howerton Engineering Aquamist HSF-3 kit.
3. Snow Performance Boost Cooler 2 w/gauge.
4. AEM

If someone were to ask me to rate them, I'd give them a 9.9, 9.2, 7.5 and 6.5 respectively. The only reason the Aquamist HSF-4 doesn't get a 10 is I'd like to see a PC software interface for greater control of the scaling.

The Snow and AEM will get the job done, just not as accurately. Both require you to purchase a separate failsafe which is standard on the Aquamist. Neither has a test function so that you can verify exactly how much the system is injecting. Both also vary flow by pump pressure whereas the Aquamist controls flow via FAV duty cycle. This is the same style control system used with fuel injectors.

This last part I hate to say as AEM makes some great products, but the AEM flow "sensor" which is integral to its failsafe system is junk. Rather than being a solid state unit it uses a friggin pin wheel that spins as the meth flows past it. Come on AEM fix that crap. If someone's going to spend the extra money on a failsafe system for the peace of mind that their engine won't go BOOM, how about including a reliable flow sensor made using technology from this century.

Wooooh, maybe I need to consider switching to decaf.
lol, what's decaf?

Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
This may ruffle some feathers but... Having tuned more than a few meth equipped Mini's and knowing issues that occurred later on I would recommend the following depending on your budget and expectations:

1. Howerton Engineering Aquamist HSF-4 kit.
2. Howerton Engineering Aquamist HSF-3 kit.
3. Snow Performance Boost Cooler 2 w/gauge.
4. AEM

If someone were to ask me to rate them, I'd give them a 9.9, 9.2, 7.5 and 6.5 respectively. The only reason the Aquamist HSF-4 doesn't get a 10 is I'd like to see a PC software interface for greater control of the scaling.

The Snow and AEM will get the job done, just not as accurately. Both require you to purchase a separate failsafe which is standard on the Aquamist. Neither has a test function so that you can verify exactly how much the system is injecting. Both also vary flow by pump pressure whereas the Aquamist controls flow via FAV duty cycle. This is the same style control system used with fuel injectors.

This last part I hate to say as AEM makes some great products, but the AEM flow "sensor" which is integral to its failsafe system is junk. Rather than being a solid state unit it uses a friggin pin wheel that spins as the meth flows past it. Come on AEM fix that crap. If someone's going to spend the extra money on a failsafe system for the peace of mind that their engine won't go BOOM, how about including a reliable flow sensor made using technology from this century.

Wooooh, maybe I need to consider switching to decaf.
Oh definitely going with Howerton for sure. You're the best!

Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
lol, what's decaf?

Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What ever happened to moving to Calgary? Our new dealership is a month away. RPI in Vancouver BC has done awd conversions on VWs. They are not a MINI shop but may have some ideas.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No updates, probably he's driving something else now.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:01 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Ohhhhhh I still have lil Vader. It's my daily. I've been so busy with moving down to Charlotte, NC and a new opportunity that my brother and I are working on that haven't had much time to post updates to this thread. I've been posting my pics and updates on Instagram as of late. I'll find time in the near future to take all the photos and progress that have been accumulating on instagram and post them here.

Trust me...I still have this car and take care of it like a baby.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172