New Family Member - Page 9 - North American Motoring

R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

New Family Member

Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
...I'm already down to the wear bars on these RE11's.

No real change in NVH. I was expecting some since a lot of people have reported early failure of the struts after installing lowering springs. Still rides like a JCW though so no complaints there. Starting to wish I had a little more clearance though. It doesn't take much to drag the front end and I haven't even installed the splitter yet.
How many miles they make before hitting the wear bars?Thanks for the update. From what I could find Swift has a great reputation for working well with OEM, but it’s nice to have another data. We’ve been eyeing this setup for a while and almost jumped in over Black Friday, but clearance has been on our minds as well. My wife is cautious pulling into parking spaces as Turbo has had his bumper scrape on the sidewalk and parking blocks. It happened so often I had to remove the tabs attached to the front bumbler. And for some ridiculous reason there are a lot of poorly designed drive ways and entry ways in our neighborhood. Meanwhile my sister rolls around in her clubman s on stock suspension 205 55 16 and couldn’t care less when presented with similar obstacles.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Prototype-R

Lol. I know exactly how you feel. My wife ended up getting a Subaru Forester. I know, I know, a Japanese car but BMW wasn't in a negotiating mood when she was shopping. I got about 20k miles out of the tires so far, so I guess I really shouldn't complain after what I've put them through.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Prototype-R

Had a couple of track days scheduled Feb 3rd and 4th at Homestead Speedway but with the shape these tires are in that ain't gonna happen. A friend of mine is a certified instructor with a seriously badass, race only, LS6 powered RX8. Would have been a really fun couple of days but hopefully after I get Vlad squared away I can reschedule.

Speaking of tires. I really like the Bridgestone RE-11's even though they're a bit heavy, but since they're discontinued I had to look elsewhere. TireRack had Dunlop Direza Starspec ZII in my size but they are being discontinued for the upcoming ZIII. No ETA on the ZIII's and the ZII's tip the scales at the same 25 lbs as the RE-11's. So I've decided to give the Toyo R1R's a chance and ordered a set. Many of the reviews on these are older and based on the 140AA wear rated compound. Most of the sizes have since been upgraded to 200AA wear ratings so well see how they stand up. With the V tread I'm expecting more noise, but at the same time I'll shed 3 lbs of weight on each corner. Sounds like a pretty fair trade to me, and with my exhaust I doubt I'll even notice. After some beak-in time I'll post my thoughts on them.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Prototype-R

Toyo R1R

Ended up replacing the shift ****. Pulled the round chrome **** off which was getting scratched and installed a SS weighted **** which I like much better. Same weight but smaller diameter. It also threads slightly further down. It's hard to describe but the shifts just feel crisper and any scratches can be easily removed with scotchbrite.

I'm very happy with the Toyo's so far but we'll have to see how it does on tread wear. First thing to note is the tire is slightly wider both in cross section and footprint. It has a more squared shoulder which is the reason for the slightly wider footprint. The cross section increase is small but definitely there. With the RE-11's I had about 9mm clearance between the tire and the shock strut in the front. With the R1R's that has decreased to 7mm. There are a couple of pro's and con's to be aware of. The first would be that the ride is improved with the R1R's primarily because it has a slightly softer sidewall. The down side to this of course is that initial steering inputs aren't quite as sharp as the RE-11's. It's a small difference but it's there. Ultimate grip is higher however. When applying power thru a curve I had to be more careful with the throttle on the Bridgestones. It was also easier to induce snap oversteer with the RE-11's. Another noticeable difference is in the weight. The three pound lighter R1R certainly accelerates quicker and is more responsive to changes in the road surface. The only real negative I had was due to the increased width of the footprint. They're certainly flush now but rubbed the wheel arch both front and rear when driving over a very uneven surface. Not the end of the world as I messaged the fender support and trimmed the arches slightly. I made sure to take the wife for a ride so she could see the necessity of adjustable coilovers first though.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Prototype-R

Also changed out the LED's in the Phormula knock sensor. The blue didn't blend in well with the rest of the dash.

I also thought about changing out the blue LED's in the boost gauge but since this is going in its place I may pull the Aquamist apart and seeing how difficult changing the white would be. Being OCD can suck sometimes.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Prototype-R

Uh... Houston we may have a problem.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Also changed out the LED's in the Phormula knock sensor. The blue didn't blend in well with the rest of the dash.

I also thought about changing out the blue LED's in the boost gauge but since this is going in its place I may pull the Aquamist apart and seeing how difficult changing the white would be. Being OCD can suck sometimes.
Your looking at this problem the wrong way round
You need to make all your other lights blue
Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Prototype-R

Lol. You may be right and it would look pretty sweet. Sounds like a lot of research and soldering. Probably wouldn't be that bad but I can hear my lovely wife now as I drive around for several days with the dash torn apart Maybe after the coilovers. Ya have to work them through these things slowly or they can get cranky. I'm referring to the Mini of course

Well since I couldn't find a setting in the LogWorks 3 software to change the color of OLED display on the ECF-1, I sent an email to Innovate. Turns out there is no backlighting as it's the screen itself that illuminates in white. Guess I'll try the Joey route first and start looking for tinted plexi before getting all reverse engineery on it.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear

They make tint to go over lights these days, could just tint it and the white would adjust to the color of tint for the most part.

https://www.ebay.com/i/152699493522?chn=ps
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Neutral

Wagner Competion Intercooler for sale

Have a Wagner Competition Intercooler that will fit that model if you need one. Asking $550
Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

I want to copy your mods onto my car! lol.

Every time I check in on this thread it gets better and better. It makes me excited to see what the 50mm I have will feel like.

I forgot to ask you before, for the Stage 3 tune did you have to tune specifically for the 51mm compressor? I'm wondering if my current tune with the 47mm will be okay short term for the 50mm until I can find someone to upgrade the tune?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 AM
1st Gear

What are the key elements in your desire to go from lowering springs to a coilover setup?
How would you compare your experience with the Swift’s with your expectations for a fully adjustable setup?
Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Chris View Post
What are the key elements in your desire to go from lowering springs to a coilover setup?
How would you compare your experience with the Swift’s with your expectations for a fully adjustable setup?
I'm not answering for the OP, but the basics from my experience are: More adjustability (ride height, compression, spring rate, etc), can be made custom to fit a specific setup, rebuilding each coilover is relatively inexpensive if you buy from a good company.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally View Post
I'm not answering for the OP, but the basics from my experience are: More adjustability (ride height, compression, spring rate, etc), can be made custom to fit a specific setup, rebuilding each coilover is relatively inexpensive if you buy from a good company.
Appreciate you taking the time to answer Rally. I’m familiar with the concepts you mentioned and am really looking forward to Tigger’s answer. I’ve followed his builds for the past few years and the build path for Vlad has been similar to my ideas for Turbo (my 2014 R58s). His budget and know-how on the other hand are where we diverge... but I’m working on it

Last edited by Mini Chris; 02-11-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Cus grammar is hard
Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Prototype-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconism
They make tint to go over lights these days, could just tint it and the white would adjust to the color of tint for the most part.

https://www.ebay.com/i/152699493522?chn=ps
Reason number 289 why I like this site. NAM members helping each other out. I didn't even think of using film. Great idea thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Prototype-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyboy1955
Have a Wagner Competition Intercooler that will fit that model if you need one. Asking $550
Thanks Navyboy1955. I bought the Helix Gen 2 but almost went with the Wagner Competition model as it's a great intercooler. Can't go wrong with either one really.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Prototype-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
I forgot to ask you before, for the Stage 3 tune did you have to tune specifically for the 51mm compressor? I'm wondering if my current tune with the 47mm will be okay short term for the 50mm until I can find someone to upgrade the tune?
You should be fine with the Stage 3 for a bit. I would datalog it however and record at a minimum the following.
RPM
Lambda
Timing
MAP or Boost
Absolute Load
Fourth gear on a dyno from 2500 to redline with the DSC completely deactivated. Dyno's are safer but I have been known to use the occasional highway on-ramp but don't recommend it. DashCommand or Torque will work for this. Their not comparable to what I use for tuning since they can't record cam angles, knock sensor voltage, injector or wastegate duty cycles (target and actual), etc.. but they're good enough to let you know if it's safe.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Prototype-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Chris
I think the Swift springs are a great choice for a daily driver for lowering the vehicle without costing a lot. The spring rates are comfortable and designed to work well with the factory struts. However, they are not a good choice if you intend to track the vehicle as the front spring rates are too soft. During hard cornering the front end dives, and combined with the reduced ride height your on the bump stops which can unsettle the vehicle. I've driven Mini's with BC's, Megan, Bilstein and others where this it not a problem. In addition, with coilovers you have a much wider selection of spring rates available. Coilovers are adjustable, rebuildable and can be revalved to match your choice of spring. With the R58 being slightly more front heavy than the R56 I think an 8k front and 6k rear spring combo would be a good place to start. For spring manufacturer I'd prefer Swift or Hyperco. Most coilovers also include the ability to adjust front camber. So if you plan on any competitive use there really is no comparison between the two. Finally, the adjustable dampening and rebound of a coilover allows you to crank it up for a track day then soften it for the ride home.