New Family Member - Page 11 - North American Motoring

R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

New Family Member

Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Prototype-R

Thanks for the hands on experience with regards to bearing wear. Makes me feel a little better about spacing things out. Just spoke to Dan and he already sent the RMA info and will get with the parts guys to sort out the bolt diameter / part number issue.

Picked up the A94 Midnight Black Metallic base/clear coat as well as the adhesion promoter for the trim. Now to start prepping everything. I haven't seen photos of anyone running these flares with the splash guards. Hopefully I'll be able to heat and reshape the splash guards without messing them up. Spacing the wheels is gonna make splash and slinging more of an issue but there's no way I'm putting rally style splash guards on. Looking forward to finally being able to install the Ohlins on the front.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Vlad will never see those kind of numbers lol. Nor did I ever say he would. My intent in making the statement was to point out the increased capacity of the drive train and that the axles will be next. With Vlad my plan is to build as strong of a foundation as possible. First with the drivetrain then later in the engine. 100 octane race fuel and meth will get you to 400 but that would make a pretty impractical daily driver. God knows what it would take to get to 600 but I'll bet good money it wouldn't last very long.

I agree spacers will make it harder on the bearings. However, I know several track enthusiasts and even a professional driver running spacers to make the wheel base wider which increases stability and cornering power. Seems like there's always trade offs with performance.

Somewhere in all these changes I have to decide on a BBK as the factory Brembo's will not cut in on track when pushed hard. AP Racing, StopTech and TCE Performance has some nice kits but I'm also in discussion with EBC about a BBK for the Mini.
Cars are carefully designed by engineers and mods crafted by car enthusiasts.

I believe I can trust the the first ones. As for testing the physics laws, it depends if the purpose is intended on a racetrack or on public roads. I am sure an insurance company may question these facts if a car is heavily modified.

For 20 years, I lived in Vegas where some Cadillac guys were driving on 13" wheels with spacers. Believe me, I saw pretty weird stuff happening.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Thanks for the hands on experience with regards to bearing wear. Makes me feel a little better about spacing things out. Just spoke to Dan and he already sent the RMA info and will get with the parts guys to sort out the bolt diameter / part number issue.

Picked up the A94 Midnight Black Metallic base/clear coat as well as the adhesion promoter for the trim. Now to start prepping everything. I haven't seen photos of anyone running these flares with the splash guards. Hopefully I'll be able to heat and reshape the splash guards without messing them up. Spacing the wheels is gonna make splash and slinging more of an issue but there's no way I'm putting rally style splash guards on. Looking forward to finally being able to install the Ohlins on the front.

Welcome. Here to help out my fellow R58 owners. Taking mine to the PVGP this weekend. http://www.pvgp.org/