R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Convince me to get a JCW Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Convince me to get a JCW Coupe!

I've been very happy with my 2007 R56, and swore I'd wait and drive an F56 when they became available this spring. I like having the latest model. Well I unexpectedly sold a paid for building, and you know what that means: CASH! I've always wanted a factory JCW and love the Coupe looks. I'm not in love with some things on the F56 (HUD looks cheap, LED lights I can live without, the 3 different "drive modes" don't excite me, the center ring that changes colors seems like a gimmick). I like the looks. Now I'm tempted to change course. I'd like to hear from some Coupe owners, and JCW ones too. I'd get the Recaro seats. I've not read too many complaints (blind spot and limited rear window mostly).

Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you just convinced yourself to get a JCW Coupe, so do it. I regret not trading my R56 for a R58 JCW! Post pics if you do!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 AM
birdiebrainz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Coupe! It's a 2012 S and I had the JCW tune done about two months ago. It was fun before but it's awesome now.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
I'll tell you what

I've had lots of cars and hands down!
NOTHING has turned heads and gotten the attention our JCW coupe gets, period!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
minirab
5th Gear
I agree with the above post. I had a 2006 R53 Astro Black that I loved

but with retirement looming I needed a present. So, now I have a 2012

R58 JCW, Midnight Black with all the trim blacked out by VinylStyles,

lowering springs by Mach V Motorsports, resonator delete, NM intake

and just installed carbon fiber interior kit by Outmotoring. Next comes

MOTD!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Jeez, that's a lotta mods. What's a resonator delete? Sounds like an exhaust sound mod. And a carbon fiber interior kit? I'm thinking Silver white with the red cap/stripes, Recaros (anybody have those btw?), red interior accents and silver wheels.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Resonator delete is just cutting out the resonator and welding in a section

of stainless. Outmotoring has the carbon fiber trim kit, its not the real

thing but looks it and gets rid of that silver trim.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this convinces you...

Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM
VX crazy
2nd Gear
Your mind should be made up by now! I love my coupe s, only reason I didnt get a JCW is because they only had manuals at that time, months later I saw you could get in automatic :(. Recaro seats rock, I have those in my vehicross and love love love them!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
turbofun
2nd Gear
They sure are gorgeous! If I didn't have a need for a back seat in a pinch, I would have considered a Roadster. I know this is about the Coupe. MINI hit a home run with both of these models.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by turbofun
They sure are gorgeous! If I didn't have a need for a back seat in a pinch, I would have considered a Roadster. I know this is about the Coupe. MINI hit a home run with both of these models.
Agreed +1!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Is the factory JCW suspension an option, and does anyone have that? I have a sway bar which I like, but I don't think the $500 factory suspension option is worth it, it only increases the sways like 2mm front and rear which cancels each other out.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
tigerwong58
3rd Gear
Out of all the Mini's I chose this to be my first Mini. Get It, You will get alot of attention and it's FAST & FUN !

Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 AM
tigerwong58
3rd Gear
I'd like to hear from some Coupe owners, and JCW ones too. I'd get the Recaro seats. I've not read too many complaints (blind spot and limited rear window mostly).[/QUOTE]

I got European Curved Blind Spot mirrors for the blind spot and I am working on the rearview mirror to lower it for better viewing.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Very Nice.

Very Nice again.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I've been very happy with my 2007 R56, and swore I'd wait and drive an F56 when they became available this spring. I like having the latest model. Well I unexpectedly sold a paid for building, and you know what that means: CASH! I've always wanted a factory JCW and love the Coupe looks. I'm not in love with some things on the F56 (HUD looks cheap, LED lights I can live without, the 3 different "drive modes" don't excite me, the center ring that changes colors seems like a gimmick). I like the looks. Now I'm tempted to change course. I'd like to hear from some Coupe owners, and JCW ones too. I'd get the Recaro seats. I've not read too many complaints (blind spot and limited rear window mostly).
The best advice I can give you is this, drive both, back to back. That's what I did. The power, brakes, set-up on the JCW made it all worth while. Also, if you go looking to add even more power/performance, you starting from a better place, meaning, stouter motor internals, beefed up clutch/transmission, brakes.
Nice looking Coupes on here by the way

-Steven

Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
Try sticking your whosawhatsit in the tale pipe and see how it feels.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Deli
6th Gear
If you ask to be convinced you must have some doubts. I stayed away from the JCW and got the S Coupe. Why? S had more than adequate power for me, I didn't want to shell out the extra bucks, the price differential has not held up on other JCWs at resale, and I figured the maintenance would cost substantially more. FOR ME, it simply did not add up.

By the way, I drove two JCWs before making the decision and liked them both.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Deli
If you ask to be convinced you must have some doubts. I stayed away from the JCW and got the S Coupe. Why? S had more than adequate power for me, I didn't want to shell out the extra bucks, the price differential has not held up on other JCWs at resale, and I figured the maintenance would cost substantially more. FOR ME, it simply did not add up.

By the way, I drove two JCWs before making the decision and liked them both.
If I get another R56 it'll be the JCW Coupe. I don't NEED the power but the extra $$ isn't that big a deal. My dilemna is whether to wait for my local dealer to get the F56 or just say screw it, get me a JCW. I'd like to drive on though, and I don't know if Mini North Scottsdale has an automatic JCW around there. Last time I visited they didn't have any Coupes at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
My reason for going with an S model in 2012 was because the JCW still had the N14 engine. I wanted to avoid it at all costs, and needed a car at the time....so the N18 S was my choice. No regrets, car has been bullet proof.

42k miles and no issues or crazy oil consumption.

If you did go with an F56, not sure if you'd want to wait longer since it is a new platform, engine...etc(1st year intro)

There might be a list of issues that they'll iron out in following years.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
DANG! The MF guy drove the F56 in Puerto Rico the other day (more to come). He loved the handling, said it's very R53-like wrt the turn in. He raved about it. He said the Justa is a little soft, there's more difference between it and the S then with the R56. I may have to wait and drive it after reading that. I was hoping he's say it drives like a rental car. I guess not.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Another consideration though is that the F56 is an all new vehicle, new engine, new tranny, new suspension, new everything. The R58 is a mature production by now. My first MINI was an R53s, and it was great, but I had to seel it at the end of the warranty, it just had way too many new car issues, and I will never do that again. I just bought a new R56s, figuring it is by now a reasonably mature design. Just my 2c worth. Either way though, you'll have loads of motoring fun!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
Another consideration though is that the F56 is an all new vehicle, new engine, new tranny, new suspension, new everything. The R58 is a mature production by now. My first MINI was an R53s, and it was great, but I had to seel it at the end of the warranty, it just had way too many new car issues, and I will never do that again. I just bought a new R56s, figuring it is by now a reasonably mature design. Just my 2c worth. Either way though, you'll have loads of motoring fun!
New tranny isn't happening till 2015-2016.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Well we stopped at Mini North Scottsdale on our way home from the annual Phoenix Open trip yesterday, and lo and behold they have a JCW Coupe outfitted almost exactly like I want (minus Comfort Access), Recaro seats(NICE), AT and all,
Eclipse Grey with Red stripes and accents. Took it for a spin, pretty darn sweet. I didn't have my car with me, off the cuff he offered only $6k for it in trade, and $1k off the sticker ($41k). I'm thinking he'd move $2-3k downward, $35k out the door. The F56 reviews are starting to appear, sounds like the car dudes like it, especially the no so harsh ride. I thought the JCW ride was fine even with runflats though. Decisions decisions.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty good. The Coupe has been around a while now so they have most likely worked out a lot of the major design kinks.

You only live once.

Quick Reply: R58 Convince me to get a JCW Coupe!