R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 OEM MINI LED DRL's installed!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yes, what country are you in , they might have it coded different? In Canada the DRL headlight from the factory stays on.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-29-2016, 11:02 AM
DRL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Northern California... trying to avoid a trip to the dealership. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, I think they might be installed wrong. Check out the wiring and make sure the DRL headlight are turn off.

Here is the install PDF : double check everything , especially the way its wired.

Install PDF MINI LED DRL R56-R61

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-29-2016, 11:17 AM
DRL
Neutral
Thanks! I'll check it out...

Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:32 PM
DRL
Neutral
Strange thing is, headlights stay on no matter what - with DRL selected as "off" (or on); and with "auto" on or off; That seems to be the problem, as I've read the halo won't function if the headlights are on. Next step is to stop at the dealership to check the programming... :(

Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, sounds like something not right, report back with what you find.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:40 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bmrguy03
Honestly it sounds like they spliced the wrong wire for the blue wire. The instructions from MINI are a bit confusing. They have the right PIN # and color of plug/harness but on the picture they point to the bottom harness on the Light Control Module when in reality it is the one on the top. The wire should be solid grey if I'm not mistaken. Let them know this and hopefully it fixes the issue.
I had the same problem. I connected the wire to the bottom connector when it should be the top (Grey wire). Works perfectly now!

Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update, so yours was just switched. Glad it works.

The install updated PDF linked on post #78 shows the updated correct setup, MINIs primary PDF they sent out confused people I think.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM
patino89
Neutral
Hello friend, greetings Since the tapes installed you know more of the subject than I, I have a doubt. There is a way to leave only the ring of these lights on when the main lights of the car are on. I have seen that when the lights of the car are turned on automatically the drl changes to half moon, I want it when I wake them that the ring turned on like daylight, it is possible.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by patino89
Hello friend, greetings Since the tapes installed you know more of the subject than I, I have a doubt. There is a way to leave only the ring of these lights on when the main lights of the car are on. I have seen that when the lights of the car are turned on automatically the drl changes to half moon, I want it when I wake them that the ring turned on like daylight, it is possible.
There's one wire that goes into the cabin from the control module by the fuse box. The instructions have you splice that into the wiring in the footwell module, that's where the DRLs get their control signal from. If it's disconnected the ring is off and the half moon is on. If I remember rightly, I think if you connect it to 12V then the ring is on. You could wire that to an ignition live somewhere and then they would be permanently on full. If you fit a switch (as someone here did?) then you could control the ring independently.

I don't think it's a good idea really to run this way, the whole ring on at night is pretty bright and may dazzle oncoming drivers to some extent.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM
patino89
Neutral
Originally Posted by spiney
There's one wire that goes into the cabin from the control module by the fuse box. The instructions have you splice that into the wiring in the footwell module, that's where the DRLs get their control signal from. If it's disconnected the ring is off and the half moon is on. If I remember rightly, I think if you connect it to 12V then the ring is on. You could wire that to an ignition live somewhere and then they would be permanently on full. If you fit a switch (as someone here did?) then you could control the ring independently.

I don't think it's a good idea really to run this way, the whole ring on at night is pretty bright and may dazzle oncoming drivers to some extent.
I'm afraid to connect the cable other than the instructions, as soon as my scouts burn and I do not want to lol, the other would be at night do not turn on the main lights and leave the drl on the complete hoop. Haha it's possible Or you think connecting to 12v is no risk. You have a picture of the one who put a control to put any of the 3 modules at will.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hello, just got your PM, looks like you already saw the thread. Basically, the stock set up is the install PDF linked. I would hook them up that way. As if there is an issue then you are not troubleshooting problems down the road.

"
- Key-on engine- running, a bright halo of LED illumination acts as a Daytime Running Light (DRL) for an attractive look and added safety.
- In the parking light position, the light switches from a halo to a projector half moon of light to mark your corners.
- For fog or other low visibility driving, a half moon of projected light and a semicircle halo combine to let you see, and be seen.

"

Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
63122338554 back in stock

Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM
drugstore
Neutral
Blinking Halo

Hello,
I own a 2007 MCS with factory fitted halogen DRL.

I switched to the genuine LED aftermarket kit.

Apparently my mini doesn't have the DRL option in the on board computer menu so there's no way to change the setting "without programming".

The half moon lights well with and without the main xenon lights turned on.
The problem is the the halo blinks all the time.
​​​All the time when ignition is on and for 5 to 10 minutes after I turn the car off...
Has anyone bumped into this symptom? Do I need to program my DRL option to off?
I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks
Daniel

Old 12-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Doug Oldfield
Neutral
Originally Posted by DRL
Strange thing is, headlights stay on no matter what - with DRL selected as "off" (or on); and with "auto" on or off; That seems to be the problem, as I've read the halo won't function if the headlights are on. Next step is to stop at the dealership to check the programming... :(
in Australia, the road rule are that drl’s go off if you turn on headlights... lets be real, why do you need drl’s ifyour headlights are on. It would just annoy other road users..

Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Doug Oldfield
Neutral
Does anyone know what color wire(s) at the light is the drl light, so far I worked out white and lt blue are fog, red and orange are position light, but which wire(s) control the drl function. I installed the oem kit and it lasted 24hrs, I thought it was and may still be the control box. I am thing I will bypass the box and fit relays....

Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...NI_LED_DRL.pdf

Updated install PDF with corrected wiring. I would double check all your wiring against the install first.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Doug Oldfield
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...NI_LED_DRL.pdf

Updated install PDF with corrected wiring. I would double check all your wiring against the install first.
thank you for the update, I have spent many hours checking everything I can. Unfortunately I keep coming up with the same problem with the control box, I think the control box is faulty, however I have found that on removal and testing of the light unit. That the fog light works, the position light is working, but I cant get the full halo for the DRL.

Can you tell me the wiring code for the light unit. As I am considering changing the control box for a couple of relays...

Old 12-20-2018, 02:08 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, must be the box. Unless you are in canada and the DRL headlights are always on, i think some canada people could only get the half circle or something.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 PM
Doug Oldfield
Neutral
Yep, must be the box. Unless you are in canada and the DRL headlights are always on, i think some canada people could only get the half circle or something.
Australia, sound like its the same as canada. But this does explain why I cant get the halo to work when the light has been removed from the car.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok, that makes sense they might have something coded in there for always on headlight DRL.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 AM
CinderFPV
Neutral
Ok, that makes sense they might have something coded in there for always on headlight DRL.
Hey ECSTuning.
I just purchased these LED running lamps for my 2013 JCW Coupe and installed them yesterday, however I am having an issue with getting the A1 wire connected via the guide that you sent in an earlier post. As many others have mentioned in this before, A1 wire should be spicing into the GRAY wire that is in Pin12 on the top plug. I've got the wire ran into the footwell and can see the plugs but Pin12 on my plug is empty. There is no gray wire, or wire at all, to splice into. I tried splicing into the Brown/Yellow wire coming from Pin12 on the other plug, but this does not fix the issue. The Eyebrow and LED lamps function correctly, but I do not get the full halo light when the lights are off. To make matters more confusing, I noticed while driving down the road from the reflection of the vehicle in front of me that for a moment the full halos did turn on, but then went back off.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? Should I just put the blue A1 wire into the empty Pin12 slot?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I think you have it flipped. The one wire goes into the bottom plug. Check the corrected PDF and post up what you are looking at.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2019, 06:46 AM
CinderFPV
Neutral
It turned out that we were looking at the wrong control box. There was one over the brake that we were splicing into when it was actually the black control box hidden behind the footwell covers to the left of the foot rest. Following some other guides and pictures I found online I was able to remove those panels, unbolt the box from the wall, and get to the plugs on the backside of the control box. It was the top plug, pin12, gray wire that we needed to tap into. The halos work now!

We did find an existing lighting issue through this that we didn't realize existed until afterwards and really thought about it. I had noticed previously that I didn't have footwell lighting but then suddenly they came on while I was putting the paneling back on. Turns out that the plug on the front of the control box is finicky and probably needs to be replaced. If I play with the wires, they footwell lights will flicker on and occasionally it causes all the interior and exterior lighting to turn on as if I have the headlights on even though the stock is set to off. While this is occurring if I turn the headlights on, all the lights go out except the headlights. So essentially if I mess with the wires in the right way it reverses the lighting signal or something. Weird stuff. I may just continue to go without footwell lighting since MINI is probably going to tell me I messed it up during the install, even though the plug and cabling is completely unrelated to what I touched.

Here are the sources I used to figure all this out in case anyone needs assistance in the future. These pictures and comments helped significantly:
  • Pictures - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html
  • How to tell the plugs apart - "Both of the socket casings are black. If you are using the factory install directions, it describes the the interior casing (the actual pin connector or pigtail) of X14260 as grey and X14261 as black."
  • PDF - Better view of the connectors in question

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Footwell module.pdf (240.9 KB, 110 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R58 OEM MINI LED DRL's installed!