North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012-379/)
-   -   R58 Minor problems with R58 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012/226381-minor-problems-with-r58.html)

DAVESTER 03-14-2012 09:02 AM

Minor problems with R58

After two months and 1400 miles of ownership, I have experienced a few quarks with my coupe. Just wondering if anyone else has had these minor problems. #1 seat heater too hot-even on low.#2 Wind noise from either windows or windshield surround-no leaks. #3 boot hatch needs adjustment. #4 Steering of car wanders (I have non runflat tires) #5 Sirius radio forgets locked in stations but they return in a few days and that is just weird. When the loss happens, the headlights come on during the day and go off when the memory stations are remembered. Anyone else having like problems?
Other than that, I love my Coupe

pdxmini 03-14-2012 09:57 AM

Is it the key?

#1 - I noticed the seats are significantly hotter on the warmest setting than my older Mini... the warmest setting is often too hot for me (cooking rather than re-heating :lol:)

#2 I do notice wind noise from the window (at least, that's where it sounds like it's coming from). Enough to make me check that the window is up and I've closed the door.

#5 I haven't tested this... but I think a lot of these settings are stored in the key, do you use the same one every time?

No hatch rattles and the steering is very precise and solid for me (runflats on ours).

motor_on 03-14-2012 11:20 AM

#5. Are you always using the same key? Each key holds separate settings.

DAVESTER 03-14-2012 05:37 PM

Maybe your on to something with the keys. My wife has driven the car with her key and the settings may be different. I'm going to try her key tomorrow and see if the radio changes. Thanks for the heads up and I will let y'all know.

BillTheCat 03-14-2012 05:49 PM

I can tell you that both James Day and I have had our Sirius channel memory temporarily disappear. When this happens to me, I get stuck on a POS channel called "Hits 1" or something like that. Usually only lasts a few hours, but it is annoying. Goes back to normal on its own for no good reason. (Did not notice headlights acting up simultaneously, but I will look next time)

Thankfully, this is pretty much the only quirk I've noticed. No heated seats for me in FL, boot fits/works fine, wind noise is not bad at highway speed.

As for steering wandering, non run-flat tires will likely grip the pavement better than runflats in most cases. Is your steering wandering all the time, everywhere, or only on certain roads? Could be the road surface that your tires are reacting to if it's not a constant problem. Just a thought.

DAVESTER 03-14-2012 06:06 PM

I had Conti Extreme AWS installed before I left the dealership upon delivery. The steering wanders at 35 or 80mph on a smooth, flat surface.
It's just a constant correction while driving which is a PITA. Wonder if adjusting the toe in a tad would help?
What you are describing with your radio, thats what mine is doing---

DAVESTER 03-15-2012 07:43 PM

Well, I left my key at home and used my wifes' key. No changes in the radio. The stations did not change or the headlights. Must be a radio or electrical problem---

Johnwes12 03-15-2012 08:54 PM

I had a bad trunk rattle with mine. It had to go in twice before they replaced the strike plate and that seemed to solve the problem. I get a little rattle from the hatch every now and then but not like before. As far as drifting...yes my car drifts all over the place. I don't mind it, it just seems like you really have to pay attention while driving, but it does definitely wander a bit. The only other problem which has been a thorn in my side has been that my oil pressure warning has been going off consistently. I just found out that my oil control valve was faulty. I should be getting the car back tomorrow. But it's been in the shop 4 times since delivery 2 1/2 months ago. I'm not the happiest Mini owner as of yet :( But I have high hopes that I will be very soon

DAVESTER 03-16-2012 06:18 AM

My boot doesn't rattle, the boot open indicator light comes on . The boot has to be shut very hard so the light doesn't appear on the tach.
I took my coupe' to the dealer today with a laundry list to check. By the way, the sat. radio lost the memory of stations again this morning.

TheGeekGuy 03-16-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DAVESTER (Post 3472971)
My boot doesn't rattle, the boot open indicator light comes on . The boot has to be shut very hard so the light doesn't appear on the tach.
I took my coupe' to the dealer today with a laundry list to check. By the way, the sat. radio lost the memory of stations again this morning.

Known issue with the boot. There is a shortage of lock mechanisms as a result. No TSB though.

Keysersozeh 03-16-2012 08:34 AM

Day 4, all is good so far except for a rattle/squeak from the pillar next to the driver's seat belt assembly. It only happens when you are at 45 of higher or a not so smooth road.

Johnwes12 03-16-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Keysersozeh (Post 3473064)
Day 4, all is good so far except for a rattle/squeak from the pillar next to the driver's seat belt assembly. It only happens when you are at 45 of higher or a not so smooth road.

Mine does this too!!! I forgot. It annoys the bajeezes out of me. Only at certain speeds.

Keysersozeh 03-16-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Johnwes12 (Post 3473112)
Mine does this too!!! I forgot. It annoys the bajeezes out of me. Only at certain speeds.

I tuned it out for the last 2 days since I was in new car bliss.. (still am) Last night on the way to dinner it just totally hit me.. :mad: I need to take it in so they can try to fix it. I was supposed to get my windows done today but I would rather have it fixed first to prevent the tint installer getting blamed by the service team.

Johnwes12 03-16-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Keysersozeh (Post 3473162)
I tuned it out for the last 2 days since I was in new car bliss.. (still am) Last night on the way to dinner it just totally hit me.. :mad: I need to take it in so they can try to fix it. I was supposed to get my windows done today but I would rather have it fixed first to prevent the tint installer getting blamed by the service team.

I'm going to wait until my next service visit. Unless it continues to drill into my brain:eek2: They are delivering my car back to me today around 1:00. I hope that this is the end of my troubles.

Keysersozeh 03-16-2012 11:17 AM

Do you have issues with the seat belt digging into your neck?

Keysersozeh 03-16-2012 06:10 PM

Does anyone get condensation that runs out from under their Coupe? How much?

glennaa11 03-16-2012 07:45 PM

#2 for me too...lots more wind noise than it seems like there should be

PatM 03-16-2012 11:03 PM

I guess I am a lucky one. I had the sat radio freak out once right after I took delivery and zilch since then. I took delivery in October. I think I was one of the first West Coast deliveries of the JCW. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. By all accounts at least from my vantage point the car has been pretty solid for the most part.

I really like my coupe.

Johnwes12 03-17-2012 03:54 PM

My seatbelt doesn't bother my neck. And no, no condensation from under the car at all. Maybe a bit if I use the AC. But none otherwise.

TerminalVelocity 03-18-2012 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatM (Post 3473458)
I guess I am a lucky one. By all accounts at least from my vantage point the car has been pretty solid for the most part.

I really like my coupe.

My experience as well.

Keysersozeh, As for condensation, are you using the AC much? At all? This seems odd if not. In fact I can't imagine any reason why it would be there due to a car fault.

BillTheCat 03-18-2012 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Keysersozeh (Post 3473174)
Do you have issues with the seat belt digging into your neck?

I always have that problem in most every car. I just buy a seat belt pad from the local auto parts store. Or you can get a fancy one with a MINI logo on eBay, etc.

In the Coupé, adding a seat belt pad has the added benefit of helping to keep the seat belt from slipping back behind the seat when you take it off.

PatM 03-18-2012 08:48 AM

I keep my HVAC On full auto. So while the heat is on most of the time since it is cold I still don't see anything from under the car that would indicate condensation from the A/C. I'm sure once it warms up I will. Leaving the A/C on full auto eliminates fogging inside the car especially on rainy and cold morning. I turn off the A/C if I happen to be driving with my window open. I expect to see water from condisation once it warms up. I did on my R56.

My seat belt sometimes bugs me. I adjust my shirt collar to compensate. It is not a thing to me at all.

I love this car!

snek 03-20-2012 05:56 AM

Wind noise? YES! (I had to stick pieces of tape to the molding). The dealer said there weren't enough complaints for MINI to do something about it. Please keep complaining!

DAVESTER 03-20-2012 07:35 AM

Where on your molding did you attach the tape? I complained to the dealer and they said the wind noise was normal. They also said it was normal for the steering to wander on a coupe. With the sat. radio, both keys HAVE to be the same with regards to the functions installed with the computer. I had radio settings installed that my wifes key did not. ie-daytime running lights, radio settings and others. Using both keys or with hers in her purse and mine in my pocket confuses the computer. Not having either key in the dash may be the problem--

Keysersozeh 03-20-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PatM (Post 3474084)
I keep my HVAC On full auto. So while the heat is on most of the time since it is cold I still don't see anything from under the car that would indicate condensation from the A/C. I'm sure once it warms up I will. Leaving the A/C on full auto eliminates fogging inside the car especially on rainy and cold morning. I turn off the A/C if I happen to be driving with my window open. I expect to see water from condisation once it warms up. I did on my R56.

My seat belt sometimes bugs me. I adjust my shirt collar to compensate. It is not a thing to me at all.

I love this car!

I usually run the AC since I tend to run on the warm side. I just wasn't sure how normal this was. My R53 was always making a small puddle.

The seat belt.. I am living with it, but I too end up using my collar as well.

I do really love this car.