R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Minor problems with R58

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
tancred
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I discovered snek's wind noise the day I took delivery. Over 40 mph it sounded like the passenger window was cracked open; over 50 mph the wind was howling. Quick fix from my dealer, who replaced the weatherstripping on that side. Problem solved!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM
snek
2nd Gear
My dealer is waiting for more complaints...

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tancred
I discovered snek's wind noise the day I took delivery. Over 40 mph it sounded like the passenger window was cracked open; over 50 mph the wind was howling. Quick fix from my dealer, who replaced the weatherstripping on that side. Problem solved!
Have you got weatherstrip part numbers, by chance? I wonder if they're a new design, perhaps?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Finally figured out the sat radio. Both keys HAVE to be programed the same for the sat. radio to keep the same stations tuned. If you insert your key in the dash, it will remember your settings.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM
tancred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rosvick
Have you got weatherstrip part numbers, by chance? I wonder if they're a new design, perhaps?
Yes, I do! -- 51 76 2 758 966: Door weatherstrip right.

Here's the service write-up: "Brought car in and checked window gap, top rear corner of window had low pressure on seal. Adjusted window tilt and test drove, noise not as bad and doesn't happen until 60mph now, readjust window in further and adjusted window up and down position. Retest drove and noise is quieter but still is noticeable, window is all the way in, ordered new seal to try. Replaced pass door weatherstripping edge protector seal."

Gotta love a service department that doesn't say "ehh, good enough", but keeps at it until it's really fixed!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
snek
2nd Gear

Here's the service write-up: "Brought car in and checked window gap, top rear corner of window had low pressure on seal. Adjusted window tilt and test drove, noise not as bad and doesn't happen until 60mph now, readjust window in further and adjusted window up and down position. Retest drove and noise is quieter but still is noticeable, window is all the way in, ordered new seal to try. Replaced pass door weatherstripping edge protector seal."

Gotta love a service department that doesn't say "ehh, good enough", but keeps at it until it's really fixed!
Thanks, this is great - I will let my dealer know.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear

Beauty! Thanks for that info! I'm sure my dealer will be able to put this to good use as well.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Honestly, it should be the other way: the dealers should be contacting owners telling us to come in for weatherstriping replacement if we're experiencing problems, instead of each one of us trying to convince individual dealers...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a boot rattle after I was rear-ended. I was able to eliminate it by adjusting the black tension ***** (there are four of them) inside the hatch.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVESTER
Finally figured out the sat radio. Both keys HAVE to be programed the same for the sat. radio to keep the same stations tuned. If you insert your key in the dash, it will remember your settings.
Ok, bear with me for the noob question, how is that done?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
You have to put each key(one at a time) into the dash and start the motor. Then program all the options the same-day time running lights, lane change and the like, and then program the sat. radio to the same stations. Its a PIA to do but it seems to work. Remember you have to start the motor.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Guess I will make an appointment to get my wind noise fixed. I was going to just live with it, but since it sounds like a pretty easy fix I should get it done. Mine is driver's side.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVESTER
You have to put each key(one at a time) into the dash and start the motor. Then program all the options the same-day time running lights, lane change and the like, and then program the sat. radio to the same stations. Its a PIA to do but it seems to work. Remember you have to start the motor.
Thanks for the info Davester! I will try that, when I get mine of course, hopefully soon. Mine has arrived at the port in GA today.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
My first passenger brought the wind noise to my attention...glad to hear its an easy fix, will definitely have my dealer check it out.

I have to ask though, I have noticed that a fan stays on once the car is turned off. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

Ive only had the car for about a week.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
PatM
6th Gear
It's completely normal for the fan to stay on for a short time after turning off the engine. No cause for concern!

Just drive.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Back in November, my dealer had no fix for the wind noise - I'll need to go back ...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
I've learned to tune out the wind noise, and the rise in ambient temperature (finally) has the weatherstrips swelling a bit more, sealing the windows. But, the next time she's going to be near a dealer, the windows will have a looking at.

And I did have a couple wicked rattles in the rear hatch area, but after removing the (silly) tonneau covers and adjusting the four black bumper *****, it's as tight and quiet as it should be. I'm definitely loving her even more now!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM
giarmdok
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Johnwes12
I had a bad trunk rattle with mine. It had to go in twice before they replaced the strike plate and that seemed to solve the problem. I get a little rattle from the hatch every now and then but not like before.

I'm curious about this as I get a loud sound from the back as well - though I wouldn't describe it as a rattle (like a screw) but something larger moving around when I am driving on rough roads. It sounds more like it is coming from around the rear window but it is kinda hard to tell when I am driving along

A few rattles around the car - most don't bother me. But the sound from the back and a rattle in the front center of the dash are very noticible.

Still LOVE the car endlessly! I have yet to see another on the road.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM
snek
2nd Gear
I think the car should've come with a roll of black gaffer tape as standard accessory

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Telegraph
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
Does anyone get condensation that runs out from under their Coupe? How much?
That is air conditioning condensation. The amount of water will depend on the humidity. On a humid day I get a lot of water.

Mike

Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
It's completely normal for the fan to stay on for a short time after turning off the engine. No cause for concern!

Just drive.

Thanks! Good to hear its normal

You guys think these coupes will have mushrooming issues?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
I've discovered the rear latch rattle gets worse as the outside temperature goes up. The four adjustable rubber bumpers get softer in the heat, which allows the hatch to move around a bit more than usual, and the rear latches have the chance to rattle around a bit.

Thankfully, I've only heard it happen at very low speeds, and once I'm doing regular city and highway speeds, there's no sound whatsoever. I think I can live with that.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 AM
snek
2nd Gear
I had squeaks and rattles when it got below freezing. Go figure...

Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
A little issue I've had is the seatbelt getting caught between the door and seat when I try and put it on.

Doesn't bother me, just a little quirk.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
snek
2nd Gear

I just got back from my dealer service. Their write up: "Vehicle has been in before with the same issue. Last visit we determined all R58 models have this wind noise at highway speeds. I checked for possible updated door perimeter seals, no updated parts are available at this time."

Quick Reply: R58 Minor problems with R58