North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012-379/)
-   -   R58 scooter lift (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012/320088-scooter-lift.html)

Chili Pirate 10-12-2017 09:18 AM

scooter lift

2014 hatchback, lift for electric scooter?

Capt_bj 10-13-2017 01:39 PM

two things:

1. What's the question? Are you looking for a recommendation for a 'scooter' lift that would fit your MINI? aka medical scooter?

2. You have put your post in the area specific to the 'coupe' model aka R58 ... it appears you have a hatch aka R56. You might get more response if you repost there ....

My quick look shows me several sources for scooter lifts that attach to the car via a standard trailer hitch. there are a couple of options for hitches for MINI so this looks like a viable path .... BUT the ones I saw require a CLASS II hitch or better due to the weight and I'm not aware of a CLASS II hitch for the MINI. For example the popular MINIDOMORE hitch is class one with a 'maximum tongue weight' of 200 lbs while the lift has a 375 maximum weight ..... for the tongue that would be 375 PLUS the weight of the lift ..... = problem.

In THEORY, if the total weight of your hitch mounted lift AND the scooter did not exceed 200 pounds you could 'get away with' the MINIDOMORE hitch but I would CAUTION that I've seen several reports of this hitch failing when the 'tongue weight' was reported to be way under 200 pounds. My guess is "dynamic load" .... meaning if you hang 150 pounds on the tongue, hit a bump and it BOUNCES it can exert 500 pounds of force on the tongue ... OOPS, hitch cracks ..... The hitch was recently redesigned/improved to address this issue. Is it fixed? I dunno, don't own one.

Have I helped?

dube53 10-13-2017 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4337110)
two things:

1. What's the question? Are you looking for a recommendation for a 'scooter' lift that would fit your MINI? aka medical scooter?

2. You have put your post in the area specific to the 'coupe' model aka R58 ... it appears you have a hatch aka R56. You might get more response if you repost there ....

My quick look shows me several sources for scooter lifts that attach to the car via a standard trailer hitch. there are a couple of options for hitches for MINI so this looks like a viable path .... BUT the ones I saw require a CLASS II hitch or better due to the weight and I'm not aware of a CLASS II hitch for the MINI. For example the popular MINIDOMORE hitch is class one with a 'maximum tongue weight' of 200 lbs while the lift has a 375 maximum weight ..... for the tongue that would be 375 PLUS the weight of the lift ..... = problem.

In THEORY, if the total weight of your hitch mounted lift AND the scooter did not exceed 200 pounds you could 'get away with' the MINIDOMORE hitch but I would CAUTION that I've seen several reports of this hitch failing when the 'tongue weight' was reported to be way under 200 pounds. My guess is "dynamic load" .... meaning if you hang 150 pounds on the tongue, hit a bump and it BOUNCES it can exert 500 pounds of force on the tongue ... OOPS, hitch cracks ..... The hitch was recently redesigned/improved to address this issue. Is it fixed? I dunno, don't own one.

Have I helped?

I believe this is a joke LOL