R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Suggestions for Maintenance/Care for Convertible Rubber, Seals, Joints, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:25 AM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggestions for Maintenance/Care for Convertible Rubber, Seals, Joints, etc.

I have a 2014 S Convertible purchased at 44,000 miles. So far the car has been running great, and I’ve learned a lot from reading other's posts with suggestions and ideas on care / maintenance / what to expect with the automobile.

I was wondering what could be recommend where it comes to the convertible top in terms of maintenance. Not the top itself (I think I've settled on a cleaner and repellent to use) ,
but what to do to maintain the rubber, seals, and keep all the moving parts lubricated and moving.

From all my observations during all the rain we've been getting locally the car IS weathertight. BUT. What can / should I do with the rubber moulding above the windshield and around the convertible top in terms of care to keep the rubber for lasting as long as possible? I was feeling it today above the windshield, and while it’s certainly not dry rotting, it's not “supple” rubber feeling (if that makes any sense). Since I didn't purchase this new, I don't know what it is SUPPOSE to feel like.

And I wanted to ask all of you who have gone before me - because I don't want to create a problem by erroneously doing the wrong thing in taking care of the top.

The thought of screwing something up kind of freaks me out.

What would you recommend to condition these? Is there something that needs to be greased here and there?

Should there be a regular Interval of things to do?

Anyone who has experience or suggestions Id be much obliged.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
For the canvas, I'm guessing you're using 303 or RaggTopp a couple of times a year.
Keep a spray can with a long tube nozzle (keeps the stuff where you want it) of dry lube handy for when the scissor joints start to squeak.
For the rubber trim, I use this and many of their other detailing products and tools: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
I'm sure you know the rear window is glass and not plastic.
Be very attentive to your fluid levels. Change oil and rotate tires about every 5K,
And...the very most important thing...topless motoring IS motoring at its best.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:19 AM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
For the canvas, I'm guessing you're using 303 or RaggTopp a couple of times a year.
Just purchased the car a couple of weeks ago so it's all still new to me, but
I DO have some of it on order (the 303 fabric cleaner / repellent). I saw that Mini at one time made their own repellent but stopped for some reason, so I researched awhile for a replacement and both 303 and RaggTop had the most comments.

Thanks for the information re: Griots.

Have you heard of / used a product called Gummi-Pfledge? I have read about that online (a BMW forum) and it was a recommended product, but also hard to find maybe?

Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LenrdZelig
JHave you heard of / used a product called Gummi-Pfledge? I have read about that online (a BMW forum) and it was a recommended product, but also hard to find maybe?
No I haven't. My 1st reaction was to those executive types sitting around the conference table talking about their gummi bears in those silly children's voices.

Another 1st thing you should be doing is finding your area MINI communitie's favorite independent shop and make the guy your best friend. Avoid the dealership.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:10 PM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Another 1st thing you should be doing is finding your area MINI communitie's favorite independent shop and make the guy your best friend. Avoid the dealership.
The dealership is quite pretty to go and visit (almost like walking into a museum), but in researching the car (even before purchase) I happened to find a mechanic locally that specializes in BMW / Mini autos (called Bavarian Motor Service) - their reviews online are STELLAR, customer reviews put them in at about 40% LESS than the dealership, and they guarantee any of their work for 2 years / 24,000 miles.

Obviously, THAT'S going to be my mechanic!

AFA Mini "groups" in the Cincinnati area, I've been unable to locate any. I'm sure there are some out there, somewhere, but all my Internet searches on area groups have proven futile. If and when I do find a local group, that will be one of my first questions 'natch.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Clubs/groups seem to come and go. We had two in our area, one after the other and they both folded for the same reason; an individual spoiler. Also, the brand is moving toward the appliance scenario and the list of enthusiasts is dwindling. Sounds like the indie that you mention is the one to go with. Sure hope there a good microbrewery near by like there is in our little corner of the woods...a great place to wait.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Honda sells a rubber molding care product called shin etsu grease. You wipe it on and then off after a few min. Easy to use and works awesome. I learned about it when i had a s2000 with a rubber top seal leak. It actually brought the rubber back to black and pliable and stopped the leak. Ive used it on every car since, incl my mini. You buy a tube at the honda parts counter, or it must be online too.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:18 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
BMW has their Gummi Pflege and NAPA has Silglyde. Used the latter on both of my s2000s and now my R52. I also spray white lithium on all the metal pivot points (be sure to cover non metal areas up and a rag to catch the drips).

The following users liked this post:
LenrdZelig (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:59 PM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Also, the brand is moving toward the appliance scenario and the list of enthusiasts is dwindling.
Appliance scenario? I'm afraid I don't understand the context.

Sounds like the indie that you mention is the one to go with. Sure hope there a good microbrewery near by like there is in our little corner of the woods...a great place to wait.
Where it is located there doesn't appear to be a microbrewery, but I (think) there is a new bourbon distillery opening not far from there. Worse case scenario, it's close enough to my work I could just go there and smoke cigars until the job is done (I work at a tobacconist).

Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 AM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
BMW has their Gummi Pflege and NAPA has Silglyde. Used the latter on both of my s2000s and now my R52. I also spray white lithium on all the metal pivot points (be sure to cover non metal areas up and a rag to catch the drips).
Fantastic information thank you! I WAS able to locate Gummi Pflege (Amazon of course) - the lithium oil spray is new information. Any particular brand?

Old 08-26-2018, 12:11 AM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Subw00er
Honda sells a rubber molding care product called shin etsu grease. You wipe it on and then off after a few min. Easy to use and works awesome. I learned about it when i had a s2000 with a rubber top seal leak. It actually brought the rubber back to black and pliable and stopped the leak. Ive used it on every car since, incl my mini. You buy a tube at the honda parts counter, or it must be online too.
Thanks for your reply.

I looked it up on Amazon - it's listed as silicone grease?

I read somewhere that silicone shouldn't be used on rubber, as it will make it deteriorate faster?
Or am I misunderstanding what silicone grease is... or have the information about silicone and rubber all wrong to begin with.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:19 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
You're correct, silicone should be avoided on the seals. Gummi Pflege is a good product, and there are others that are similar and designed to treat rubber seals on vehicles. I don't think MINI makes one, but I think BMW may.

The following users liked this post:
LenrdZelig (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 12:30 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I’ve used Gummi Pflege in the past and its
a great product, but recently I got 303
rubber seal protectant.
its also great and has a nice easy to use foam
applicator built into the top of the bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T44D1R2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T44D1R2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Old 08-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've been using this stuff on vinyl and rubber (not tires tho) for over 20 years .... when I bought a Miata back in 95 it was one of two products recommended for use on the top by Mazda (the other was 303 protectant) I had that car for 15 years and the top was still good when I sold it .....

this ain't cheap but a little goes a long way .. pay attention to the application instructions ... works best when the surface is WARM. I use on rubber seals, vin' dash and door cards even the side skirts and wheel trim

https://www.zymol.com/vinyl.aspx

Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LenrdZelig
Appliance scenario? I'm afraid I don't understand the context..
Drive 'em and forget 'em soccer mom grocery getter appliance. They have killed the 'Zig-Zag-Zug' from the marque and replaced it with a copy cat SUV to satisfy marketing and the masses. All this sour apples from a old guy who hates to see things change...for the worse or better...makes no nevermind.