R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible Warning Symbol: rear windows won't roll down

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:42 AM
ramsey152
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Warning Symbol: rear windows won't roll down

My 2011 R57 Mini Convertible has a warning symbol that looks like a convertible and has an exclamation symbol. It is yellow. The Rear windows won't roll down and sunroof will not open. This problem is intermittent. The last time, I had the roof working for a few minutes but the error reappeared and the rear windows were stuck down and sunroof stuck halfway open. I manually closed the sunroof but rear windows are stuck down. Any thoughts? Nearest mini dealership is over 100 miles away.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Does the Gen2 have a "tray" in the trunk that latches down similar to my Gen1? The Gen1 has switches in that tray that if not tripped the top will not move.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM
ramsey152
Neutral
Yes. There is a tray, but in typical operation if the tray is up, the sunroof and rear windows still operate. The convertible will not open and there will be a yellow warning symbol of a convertible with a picture of luggage.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
There's also the push button switch on the upper left side of the door frame. It is notorious for not closing all the way. I've added a chair leg glide pad to the spot on the door to make sure the switch gets pushed in all the way. Try that.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM
ramsey152
Neutral
The mini manual (page 177 of the link below) indicates that the warning symbol is due to three potential issues:
1. An overheated convertible drive. (Car has been kept in garage for several days.)
2. "Control system of convertible top/tilt roof malfunctioning."
3. An Open tailgate. (But if the trunk is open during normal operation, the sunroof can still open).

The motor is not struggling mechanically and there was some brief moment in time where the roof was working.

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/m...0311__2011.pdf

Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 PM
ramsey152
Neutral
I'm aware of the button that the parcel shelf sits on, but not sure about this one? In the door frame to the trunk?

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
There's also the push button switch on the upper left side of the door frame. It is notorious for not closing all the way. I've added a chair leg glide pad to the spot on the door to make sure the switch gets pushed in all the way. Try that.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by ramsey152
I'm aware of the button that the parcel shelf sits on, but not sure about this one? In the door frame to the trunk?
Well, after a little research, it appears the R57 doesn't have the little push button switch that has piqued my ire more than once. So, you may disregard my input. I'll need to be more alert what with several years of design change.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 AM
ramsey152
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Well, after a little research, it appears the R57 doesn't have the little push button switch that has piqued my ire more than once. So, you may disregard my input. I'll need to be more alert what with several years of design change.
That makes me feel a little better actually, I looked everywhere for a second switch.

I don't think that this involves the trunk, though, because the sunroof and rear side windows should still function even with the trunk open. (in the brief moment that the everything started working again, I was able to open the sunroof and rear windows with the trunk open, but this is when the windows got stuck down.)

I suspect that the issue may be electrical, involving either the regulator motors for the rear side windows or the sunroof, but I can't find a diagram for the 2011 that has sunroof diagrams. I would love to find and check the proper relays, but not sure which relays to check or even how to check these particular relays: most just look like a large copper wire coil above a resistor.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
There is a second switch, it is activated by a small leg sticking out of the left hand tensioner in the boot/hold/trunk (whatever you 'mericans call it). The tensioner has to be in the locked down position but this should not affect the sun roof, just the soft top. There are hall sensors that will stop the sun roof opening if they are faulty, located at several places but the main culprits are at the clamp area both sides top of A pillar and in the motor area where the wire cables are.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Also, for the windows, can't you use the 'all windows' switch or is that not responding either, second in from the left on dash control switches? If that is working you could try a reset. Manual reset is as follows.

1. Hold window switch down and continue to hold for 10 seconds after windows is fully down.
2. Hold window switch up and continue to hold for 10 seconds after windows is fully up.
3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 one more time.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 PM
ramsey152
Neutral
Originally Posted by Scudder44
Also, for the windows, can't you use the 'all windows' switch or is that not responding either, second in from the left on dash control switches? If that is working you could try a reset. Manual reset is as follows.

1. Hold window switch down and continue to hold for 10 seconds after windows is fully down.
2. Hold window switch up and continue to hold for 10 seconds after windows is fully up.
3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 one more time.
This only closed and opened the front windows. Bank windows do not budge. I will inspect the hall sensors.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:46 AM
FiveThirteen
Neutral
Originally Posted by Scudder44
There is a second switch, it is activated by a small leg sticking out of the left hand tensioner in the boot/hold/trunk (whatever you 'mericans call it). The tensioner has to be in the locked down position but this should not affect the sun roof, just the soft top. There are hall sensors that will stop the sun roof opening if they are faulty, located at several places but the main culprits are at the clamp area both sides top of A pillar and in the motor area where the wire cables are.
I agree that my 2009 doesn't have this second switch either. It just appears to have the switch activated by the parcel shelf.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You ever figure out what the issue was and get it resolved?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 AM
ramsey152
Neutral
Originally Posted by kromerok
You ever figure out what the issue was and get it resolved?
Unfortunately, I did not come to a good diagnosis. I manually opened and closed the top and the sunroof several times and suddenly it started working again. I also lubed up the sunroof a little bit. I am thankful that it is fixed, but still not sure what did it. As I recall, I may have also rubbed some of the hall sensors.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are the hall sensors located?

Old 03-04-2023, 08:19 AM
ASI.FL
Neutral
i am having the same issue,front windows work fine , back ones , no go