R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Wind Deflector Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:04 AM
js415
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Deflector Question

I have a 2010 R57 that i bought last Fall, and now that warm weather is here we are starting to really use it without the top.

I wanted to get a Wind Deflector for it, but then realized the price, plus the fact that it made the rear seat useless for storing coolers or bags when installed.

I found the thread about the pet barrier and ordered one from Amazon. So far it works pretty good, but looks a little "out of place" in the car.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...deflector.html

So I might be back to thinking about ordering a factory screen from Amazon.

My question is this: Is there any reason that I could not cut the portion of the screen that covers the rear seat completely out of the assembly? This would then leave the frame in place to support the deflector, but still allow us to use the rear seats for bags, coolers, etc.

Anybody with a Mini Deflector have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 04-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Sonofasailor
Neutral
Wind Deflector Q

You can definitely do that. I don't see how it would affect the aerodynamic function but might allow wind to flow down through the cut out horizontal screen in to your rear seat compartment. But, the vertical face of the deflector might be sufficient to direct a significant portion of the wind up over the rear seat compartment. Good luck finding the right arrangement that suits your R57.
Sent you a related PM.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
We use it on cross country road trips all the time. It dismounts so easily, push the two driver's side pins back and lift it out and it sits back on the canvas then right back in when you're done, easy peasy. One thing about touring in a R52 or 7 is what NOT to pack. 4 weeks on the road and we're both in one suitcase in the boot and a couple of small duffels and a cooler in the back seat. She does have her little kit with all that mysterious girl stuff though. Something learned from years of backpacking. First few times out, when you return, sort your gear into two piles, stuff you used and stuff you didn't. Don't take the stuff you didn't ever again and pretty soon you'll really begin to enjoy the wilderness instead of griping about how your feet feel.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I have the factory one in my r52 and I would not do without it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eflectors.html

The R57 version checker version does have the zip out bags. I have the stock black one on my r52. They NLA's the R52 checkered one.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I bought my gently used factory deflector on eBay for around $200 on eBay. Can't live without it and I don't take it down to often. I like that it blocks the seat because it saves me the trouble of having to give people rides!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
You can get loads of things under the deflector on the back seat if you tip the front seats forwards. Easy peasy and you really need the whole thing to get the benefit of the deflector so I would not cut or remove the netting. If the urge does take you though, do not cut it, you can remove the plastic retainer that runs around the edge of the net so you can restore it later.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:52 PM
js415
Neutral
Good info from everybody. I have been using the "dog net" solutions for the last few weeks, and it works amazingly well.

I also got a pretty good offer on a used one here from a NAM member.

Still trying to decide what to do.

Jerry

Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
It is said that God only made a few perfect heads, for all the others, he gave them hair. At my age I a sure glad that I am one of the "others" so I just put the top down and drive. Not looking for chicks anymore so if the hair is little messed up, no big deal.

Nothing worse then seeing a drop top with the windows up and the top down.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
Nothing worse then seeing a drop top with the windows up and the top down.
Yea there is. A co-pilot that wants the windows up. Either that or top up so guess what.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by js415
I have a 2010 R57 that i bought last Fall, and now that warm weather is here we are starting to really use it without the top.

I wanted to get a Wind Deflector for it, but then realized the price, plus the fact that it made the rear seat useless for storing coolers or bags when installed.

I found the thread about the pet barrier and ordered one from Amazon. So far it works pretty good, but looks a little "out of place" in the car.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...deflector.html

So I might be back to thinking about ordering a factory screen from Amazon.

My question is this: Is there any reason that I could not cut the portion of the screen that covers the rear seat completely out of the assembly? This would then leave the frame in place to support the deflector, but still allow us to use the rear seats for bags, coolers, etc.

Anybody with a Mini Deflector have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jerry
This is what we bought for the car this year cuts the buffeting down and a lot more sociable in the car and plenty of access for storage above and below the screen

Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 on the ones above and the R57 one has that extra storage. I wanted this one for my R52 to match my checkers. All the R52 and R57 MINIs should have come with the OEM defectors stock. Night and day when I installed mine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172