R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 24K Mile Service, Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24K Mile Service, Please advise

Hello fellow Mini drivers,

I have 24,000 miles on my '15 Pooper S Convertible and I am bringing in for service tomorrow. I have done the following up to now:
-Oil & filter change every 6K, at dealership.
-Tire rotation every 6K, on my own.
-New engine air filter and new cabin air filter every 10K, on my own.

So I am at 24K miles now and I am bringing it in tomorrow in AM for oil and filter change. I had initially scheduled to do brake fluid change and transmission fluid change, but the service advisor called me back saying transmission fluid is a long life fluid that isn't changed unless they are performing work/repairs on transmission itself. And brake fluid is done every two years but he looked up my VIN and said it is not due for that even though I have had my car for 27 months.

I am willing to pay for these two items if they SHOULD be done. Can you please advise if I should have them change the trans fluid and brake fluid, or just brake fluid or leave it be, or what? Please advise.

Thanks,
MrElusive

Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Okay so I went to my dealership and they performed the oil and filter change free of charge.

They connected my key and it said it wasn't due for brake fluid flush but I said I have had my car since new, since Nov. 2014 so it has been almost 2.5 years and I never had it done. They checked my service history and confirmed this, and performed the brake fluid flush.

So definitely get your brake fluid flush done every 2 years if you have not had it done; when the dealership scans the key it may not reflect this fact!

Oh and btw, they were nice enough to give me a F56 Cooper S loaner car. What a sweet ride!
Much nicer ride than my R57 and the auto trans was quite beautiful to be honest. Engine sound was lovely.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would do the brake fluid for sure if it hasn't been done as every 2 years is the schedule.
The trans fluid doesn't have an interval schedule, if you plan on keeping it for a long time it's not a bad idea to do it every 30k.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Thanks, I had a 08 WRX and a 11 WRX STI before this and I always changed trans fluid every 15K so it's weird for me not to have it changed after 24K miles...
I will do spark plugs myself at 30K but will pay to have dealership to do the trans fluid. I don't work with fluids anymore, I am too sloppy for it to be worth it. :-(