R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Cabrio and RaggTopp Protectant - quickest question ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cabrio and RaggTopp Protectant - quickest question ever

A short question that I couldn't find after searching all over NAM. And couldn't find RaggTopp's Twitter handle, so couldn't get them to give me a quick answer.

I have just sprayed on a generous coating of RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top protectant on my MINI. It is in the sun and will be allowed to dry for at least three hours (can says 15-20 minutes is enough).

Is it advisable for me to hop in three hours from now and put the top down and go cruising...or will this somehow affect the RaggTopp sealing and effectiveness?

*The can says the polymers set up completely after 24 hours, but additional coats can be added after 20 minutes or when it's dry to the touch. The can says nothing about when you can operate the roof again.

Thanks!

Yes, for a quick question, this seems like 200 too many words. Mea Culpa.

Jeff

Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
FOLLOW-UP

The fine folks at WolfSteins called me back and said once I let it set for a couple hours in the sun, it was good to go. And I'm likely good to go for about six months now.

Here's the link to WolfSteins... so pleased with their customer service and the fact they called me back and we chatted MINIs and convertibles for about ten minutes.

Fun fun fun!

Jeff

Old 05-11-2016, 12:02 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Did your top stay "blacker" after drying, or did it lighten back up?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 PM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Did your top stay "blacker" after drying, or did it lighten back up?
Interesting question. The spray didn't actually make the top appear darker when I sprayed it on...so the eventual color wasn't darker or lighter than original. I think it stayed the same level of black.

I DID notice that when I went to the gas station today to fill up and used a squeegie on the rear window, the drops of water that got onto the top beaded up like never before. It was amazing how round the droplets got and how quickly the dripped off the top.

Great stuff.

**The one other thing I've learned and will do moving forward is debris-related. As directed by the folks at RaggTopp, I'm going to the Dollar Store to get about ten $1 lint rollers. These will be used each time I head out in the MINI to roll over the entire roof and pull any dirt or leaves or shells or other debris from the surface of the cabrio top. It's the best way to keep stuff from getting ground into the top and also ensure that once done the top is clean and free of junk. AND it's ready for me to go top-down all over town! Yay, Summer!!!

Jeff

Old 05-12-2016, 05:27 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Thanks for the reply... I was wondering because the canvas top on my other car does not bead anymore and is faded. When wet, it's very black, but goes grey when dry. I thought it might stay blacker since the protectant soaked in and dried, not completely evaporating out of the fabric.

Did water soak into your top before retreating it and make it look darker?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Did water soak into your top before retreating it and make it look darker?
If you follow the directions with the spray - and be sure you get the spray for FABRIC TOP and not VINYL TOP - and spray the entire roof; then let it dry for 20 minutes. Make sure the surface is dry and not tacky to the touch at all.

Then spray the entire top again and let it dry for 20 minutes or until it's not tacky at all to the touch.

THEN, since your roof currently doesn't bead up at all, I would probably do a THIRD application of the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant. THEN let it dry in the sun for a few HOURS. Then either put the car in the garage overnight or leave it out if it's warm in your area...as long as no rain is forecast.

After 24 hours the protectant will set up completely and you can put the top down and/or test it by spraying water on it. It should bead up and the roof should be good to go for six months or so.

**When spraying the top - on all the applications - be sure to pay careful and extra attention to the seams. DO separate sprays on each seam to make sure nothing gets through there.**

That's pretty much it. It's like magic and will revive your car's roof so it's in good shape and is waterproof.

Let me know how it goes.

Jeff

Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
How many cans did it take to seal your top?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:15 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
How many cans did it take to seal your top?
Less than one can. I still believe I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the can left. And I was pretty generous when spraying. I definitely put a lot of extra on the seams.

I think if you are efficient and smooth in your application of it, one can should give you two full coats on the roof. As remarked, once it's done, you're good for at least six months. Short money if you do this twice a year.

I'm planning to visit Autozone today to get some blackwall foam for my tires and also see if they have RaggTopp in the can by itself and not as part of the car kit.

Jeff

Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 PM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Quick tip for cabrio owners. You may want to purchase a DustBuster type mini vacuum for your roof. I found today that when I put the top down that it had really dusty lines in it when I put it back up. This could have been alleviated if I brushed the top or vacuumed the top before I went motoring. Vacuuming the top removes dust and dirt while just buffing the top or brushing the top might push the grit into the fabric top.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I used 303 in the past and use the MINI stuff now. Its the same stuff pretty much. MINI stuff smells a little better and not as hard to get off if there is overspray on the glass .

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ter-top-5.html

On the dust I used a microfiber towel and i have a tape version lint roller and it works well at getting hair, lint , and other items off and does not hurt the top.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffcutler
Quick tip for cabrio owners. You may want to purchase a DustBuster type mini vacuum for your roof. I found today that when I put the top down that it had really dusty lines in it when I put it back up. This could have been alleviated if I brushed the top or vacuumed the top before I went motoring. Vacuuming the top removes dust and dirt while just buffing the top or brushing the top might push the grit into the fabric top.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff
The upholstery brush on the garage shop vac works real good for that too.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 PM
STR3T
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff Jeff.

I treated my son's 2013 last Fall with the OEM stuff from the dealer. Almost time to do it again and my try this product next.

FYI, found some additional great info on the mechanics and treating/lubricating the seals and many moving parts for these retractable rooftops over at Bimmerfest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609222

The 2nd Post has a great recap .pdf for downloading and reference.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I’ve kept a couple of the lint/tape rollers that Jeff referred to in my detail cart for years. Easy to use and practical. I did just see a few days ago a dust wand at an upholstery shop. 18” long wand with a line of tiny holes running down the length of the wand. Attaches to your air pump and then you pass it over your vert top. Blows any dust or debris away.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
since this is revived form the dead anyway, how do you guys like the mini and other brands' stuff long term?

Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
My MINI stuff lastest, I do it about twice a year. But i drive mine year round.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I get Raggtop from Amazon in a couple of days ... works fine IMO