North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r57-cabrio-talk-2009-187/)
-   -   R57 Trunk won't open with top down? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r57-cabrio-talk-2009/263900-trunk-wont-open-with-top-down.html)

wkearney99 01-13-2014 11:09 AM

Trunk won't open with top down?

Is there some trick to getting the trunk to open on a 2014 Cooper S convertible when the top is down? It doesn't have the 'comfort' remote, if that matters, just the regular one. I was operating the top from inside the car, engine running, doors closed, etc.

I tried several times yesterday and it would not let me open the trunk via the outside switch if the top was down. I had to FULLY close the top before it'd let me open it. Once it was up the switch worked.

I could, of course, manually release it by reaching in from the passenger compartment and pulling the handle.

Is that normal? Or is there some additional switch or sensor that's blocking the trunk from opening?

It would seem strange to have a convertible that won't let you get into the trunk when the top is down.

CalsonicSE 01-13-2014 04:07 PM

As MINI would say, that's "not normal." On my 2010, I've accessed the boot many times when the top was down. Was your top COMPLETELY in the down position (just an idea; not sure it makes a difference)?

Fly'n Brick 01-13-2014 10:59 PM

Was the key still in the ignition? If so, you had to pull the door latch twice to get out but the passenger door and the boot are still locked. Only other thing I can think of is the shelf switch not being depressed but that would cause other problems.

wkearney99 01-14-2014 04:54 AM

Right, the top wouldn't move at all if the shelf or the latches weren't in place and properly locked. I will have to double-check just how 'completely' open the top is. Having used a manual top on the Cabrio there wasn't much concern for this sort of thing, open was open with no sensors involved.

Thanks for the clarification that, yes, the trunk/boot is supposed to be open-able when the top is in the open position. Let me clarify one other thing, is the trunk supposed to be able to open when the top is only opened partially in the 'sunroof' positions?

Given the crappy weather here today I'll have to try this later.

ECSTuning 01-14-2014 06:15 AM

The trunk (boot) should be able to be opened if in the sunroof position "open" or full open position " top down". It must have a coding issue or was coded that way since its brand new. I would have the coding checked by the MINI dealership.

Fly'n Brick 01-14-2014 07:52 AM

Do you use the sunroof option? I've only found two uses for it. Keeping the interior from boiling while parked in the sun on hot summer days and annoying the hell out of me above 6 MPH.

ECSTuning 01-14-2014 08:00 AM

In sunroof open only mode and side windows closed, If you open the rear side window a hair ,maybe a inch of two, its really helps with the wind baffle.

Fly'n Brick 01-14-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 3866624)
In sunroof open only mode and side windows closed, If you open the rear side window a hair ,maybe a inch of two, its really helps with the wind baffle.

:thumbsup: Thanks, I'll give that a shot soon as I find a reason to put the top up.

ECSTuning 01-15-2014 05:29 AM

You are welcome. It was in the MINI " Idiosyncrasies " MINI published for the MINI Convertible. Its was mentioned back in 2005 at the launch. But I cant find it.

wkearney99 01-23-2014 11:21 AM

Turns out it's a matter of making sure the top has been FULLY opened. Not just open and no longer 'moving'. The motor has to reach the end of it's travel and that's a few seconds more holding the button until you hear the motor bind and stop.