R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Problem City

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
PleaseFix
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem City

Please help. I’ve had a ton of issues with my 2009 Mini Cooper S automatic since buying it. It currently has 88,000 miles on it. The timing chain, water pump, coils, spark plugs, brakes, tires and radiator has recently been replaced within the last 5,000 miles.

It’s still having issues, here’s what happening.
  1. After the radiator was replaced (due to a coolant leak) the P0597 code started firing. It was determined by the shop that did my radiator work that the thermostat needed to be replaced. I held off on replacing it because it still works - just not efficiently.
  2. Whenever I use the sport mode and park the car the car starts shaking and misfiring (P0303) on the next start.
  1. When it starts shaking and misfiring the coolant level starts creeping up in the overflow tank. It starts expanding past the max line on the tank but the coolant temperature is not hot. Never above 103 degrees Celsius. If I let the car shake and stutter long enough the tanks starts to overflow and coolant comes gushing from the cap.
  1. Assuming I do not allow the car to run long enough for the tank to overflow.... I turn the car off and let it cool overnight. The next day the coolant level is low. No coolant leak under the car.

Please help.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:11 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It could be a bad head gasket.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
in general, the coolant system will build some pressure on its own to allow for the thermostat to open and circulate the antifreeze to the radiator.

with that being said, it seems the perhaps your fill tank has a leaky cap that doesnt allow the coolant to pressurize and instead escape.

The cheapest fix (for now) is to replace the cap or/and also the tank.

also, make sure the system has no bubble/air pockets. also make sure the pipes are actually connected to the right inlets.