North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 best spy picture for 07 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/69574-best-spy-picture-for-07-a.html)

eggSF 05-26-2006 09:01 PM

I'm actually kinda digging the new look. Unmistakably MINI. the proportions look correct. I'm sure it'll look fantastic once the official photos are out, although the turn indicators seem to look like pupils within the headlights now. But I do like the single grill and the hood is a nice evolution of the current. Can't wait to see the interior though...that was the big turn off for me and the main reason I jumped on gettin an 06 instead.

Daillestchop 05-30-2006 07:56 AM

I think this new Mini looks fantastic. oh yea, and to all you people who complain about the fact that BMW changed the design a lil and ask why didn't they leave it the same, well, if u havent noticed, there is no car company out there who stays with the same design for more than 3 years without refreshing the design at least a lil. it has always been this way and it will always be this way (with the exception of Morgan). some of you are bashing the new design like its soo different from the current one when in fact, it looks almost identical. Yes, i kno that the current Mini does look good, but it is a hard task updating a design that is already pretty damn good. so i personally think that BMW did a pretty good job redesigning it.
as for you guys who are upset about BMW making this next Mini turbo as opposed to supercharged, get over it. there is no reason for superchargers anymore. there are turbo systems out that dont suffer from lag (i.e: new GTi) not to mention they produce a whole lot more power than superchargers. oh yea, lets not forget how much more power u can get when tuning. turbo cars respond sooo much better to mods than any other type of setup. and for what reason, really, do u need boost at lower rpms anyway. keep it turbo, keep it in low revs for economical driving, and when u want a kick in the pants, keeps the revs up high. i mean, after all, if u really do wanna go fast, thats where u want ur revs to be anyway. and since the Mini is a FWD car, u really dont want soo much power down low because then traction becomes an issue. so there you have it. BMW, in fact, really did a good job with the new one, so u guys just need to stop being soo stubborn and accept that the new Mini is a better car in every way, period.

Doogs 05-30-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Daillestchop
I think this new Mini looks fantastic. oh yea, and to all you people who complain about the fact that BMW changed the design a lil and ask why didn't they leave it the same, well, if u havent noticed, there is no car company out there who stays with the same design for more than 3 years without refreshing the design at least a lil.

Design is subjective. You think the new Mini looks fantastic. I think it looks alright, but I prefer the current design. It seems to have more character to my eyes.

I (and most people, I'm guessing) understand that designs change. It is the nature of the industry. I actually believe BMW has shown admirable restraint with the new Mini, and done a good job considering the limitations of the European pedestrian safetly regs. Doesn't mean I can't prefer the current model, though.

And...no car company? VW debuted the New Beetle in, what, 1998? It has only had the mildest of tweaks since then.

And how about Ford. I think the Ranger's been on the same platform without a major redesign since the Mesozoic Era.

as for you guys who are upset about BMW making this next Mini turbo as opposed to supercharged, get over it. there is no reason for superchargers anymore. there are turbo lots of words
I think there is a certain quirkiness to the Mini being supercharged that will be lost with the new model.

BMW, in fact, really did a good job with the new one, so u guys just need to stop being soo stubborn and accept that the new Mini is a better car in every way, period.
Really? Have you seen the new Mini yet? Have you driven it?

Look, I'm sure the new Mini will be a good car, but it will have to be a damn near perfect car to outclass the current model in "every way, period". On the other hand, even as good as it will be, it has a lot to live up to, and it is far easier to fall short of high expectations than it is to exceed them.

My prediction, the situation will be exactly the same as with the E46 and E90 BMW 3-Series. The consensus seems to be that the E90 is a phenomenal car, a bit faster and stiffer than the E46 it replaces, but that it's a bit more numb, a bit too loaded down with technology.

Whether the E90 is the better car, though, depends on what your criteria are. I think the same will be true of the R56.

tuckersinmo 05-30-2006 11:29 AM

Looks like my Wife's '03 as far as I'm concerned. I like it just as much as hers.

Scott

RobFriedman 05-31-2006 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave
It is an MCS, the R56 MC will not have a scoop.

sort of a dumb question.. but are they gonna change the name of the Mini Cooper S to Mini Cooper T ??????

I have a base 2003 MC.. just celebrated 3 years

RobFriedman 05-31-2006 05:24 AM

my 2003 MC it seems was perfect in design.. You can debate the change in front Mcs of 05 & 06s over the first 3 years.. but I like the thick chrome bumpers and such.. including the tri color taillight.. the original Frank S design..

for those who mention the bump in the hood... remember.. the car and hood design was finished.. when Bmw/Rover went looking for an engine to fit!!

RobFriedman 05-31-2006 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daillestchop
as for you guys who are upset about BMW making this next Mini turbo as opposed to supercharged, get over it. there is no reason for superchargers anymore. there are turbo systems out that dont suffer from lag (i.e: new GTi) not to mention they produce a whole lot more power than superchargers. oh yea, lets not forget how much more power u can get when tuning. turbo cars respond sooo much better to mods than any other type of setup. and for what reason, really, do u need boost at lower rpms anyway. keep it turbo, keep it in low revs for economical driving, and when u want a kick in the pants, keeps the revs up high. i mean, after all, if u really do wanna go fast, thats where u want ur revs to be anyway. .

remember.. the other reason for the new car and new engine which is Turbo...

the engines in the current car was originially designed in Detroit by Chrysler.. and Chrysler and BMW made up TriTec Motors in Brazil to make the engines...

Then Daimler Benz merged with Chrysler...

You really think BMW wants to be in bed with Daimler ?????

That like Ford and Gm making one engine for both their cars... no way..

The New Engine will be Turbo and come from BMW owned Pugeot-Citroen.. it's still a fully BMW engine and they have been doing turbo for a long time..

True.. new turbos are easier to tune... easier to adjust and have no lag and as quick a response as a supercharger..

As a MC 03 owner with a regular engine with 48,800 on it.. it's been fine. So I dont have pulley upgrades and such.. so mine isnt the super fastest...
so mine is a CVT...
just came back from the White Mtns.. had a blast on all the roads... (then again.. we've been going up there for 18+ years).. car did fine!!! there are ways to enjoy without super speed... (like stopping to see a moose trot by (on rt 3a north of Newfound Lake))

I'll see the new car when it comes in... still paying on the current one..

besides... mine is the original design... doesnt that make it a classic New Mini????

R

S6boy 05-31-2006 07:46 AM

its a personal decision to like the move to turbo or stay supercharger tbh but the supercharger wins it for me!

OKok with Turbo's you'll get a hell of a lot more BHP outa them for certain mods but its the Whine of the supercharger that made me go for a 06 instead of the 07! in desing wise it looks ok but at the end of the day it'll grow on me and i know it but still the supercharger gets it for me as i know of no other car on UK roads that you can hear the supercharger before you see the car as "Doogs" said it adds a certain quirkiness to the car that makes it more than just any other lump of metal on the road

chrisneal 05-31-2006 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RobFriedman
sort of a dumb question.. but are they gonna change the name of the Mini Cooper S to Mini Cooper T ??????

No, the S doesn't stand for supercharger. The 1964 Mini Cooper S was not supercharged.

GrFa 05-31-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by chrisneal
No, the S doesn't stand for supercharger. The 1964 Mini Cooper S was not supercharged.

Correct you are sir. The S stood for "special", everybody knows that....:roll:

paulo500 05-31-2006 10:01 AM

I seem to remember a few months back, a conversation with one of the Mini Sales reps, and he mentioned that the '07's will all have the hood scoop, regardless if its an 'S' or not. Im not sure where he gets his info, but judging by the picture, he seems to be on track...:)
In my 'mechanical design' opinion, incorporating the 'S' style bonnet on all models will save the company some production time and cost. Its all good.:thumbsup:

chrisneal 05-31-2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by paulo500
I seem to remember a few months back, a conversation with one of the Mini Sales reps, and he mentioned that the '07's will all have the hood scoop, regardless if its an 'S' or not. Im not sure where he gets his info, but judging by the picture, he seems to be on track...:)

I don't know who would complain about that more loudly, the Cooper owners who don't want the hood scoop, or Cooper S owners who would bemoan the loss of exclusivity. :lol:

dave 05-31-2006 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by paulo500

Except he's not. The next generation MC will not have a hoodscoop.

http://motoringfile.com/pictures/R56_Cooper_1.jpg

bee1000n 05-31-2006 01:59 PM

For me, the magic of the MINI is more about driving it than looking at it, and I'm sure the finished product will look fine. The only nits I'd like to pick are (a) moving the blinkers up from the bumper to within the headlight cluster (and the big ol' new fog lights), and (b) the plastic hood scoop. From earlier spy shots, I thought the new hood scoop was going to be better integrated into the hood without the need of a plastic piece at the front.

acitydweller 05-31-2006 06:27 PM

i dont mind how it looks.

MINIs are always cute because they are different from the rest of the world.

Am sure the world will embrace the next gen just as the current model was...

MattMan 06-01-2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by GrFa
Correct you are sir. The S stood for "special", everybody knows that....:roll:

Actually, it doesn't stand for that or anything else. It's just "S". The rumor is, they fought over Special or Sport and couldn't come to agreement until "S". So, really, S is just S, no more no less.

paulo500 06-01-2006 09:46 AM

Yeah just like other manufactures have their own little letters or phrases like:
Nissan's "SE-R" (Spec V)
Honda's "Si" or "SiR"

To me, the "S" on the Mini just meant "something special underneath the hood" :grin:

89AKurt 06-01-2006 09:53 AM

... The next generation MC will not have a hoodscoop.

Why does the Pontiac GTO come to mind? Started with a clean hood, then added Trans Am Formula nostril hood scoops on to give an image.:sly:
Don't turbos need intercoolers? Could put it below the bumper like the EVO.

Latka 06-01-2006 12:37 PM

Ugh... the thing that I really don't like is the turbocharged engine. Yay...*another* turbo 4 banger on the market.

The thing that was cool about the MINI Cooper S was that it was supercharged - and different!

Redvaliant 06-01-2006 02:35 PM

Looks abit like those goggle eyed japanese market eco-boxs in the front end - not a good thing. Looks too, like it will really respond well to certain colours and maybe not so well to others.

And BMW do not own Peugeot. PSA is one of the largest car firms in Europe, comprising Peugeot and Citroen and, going back some ways , Simca, Hillman , Humber, Singer, Sunbeam and Talbot.

cushin14 07-05-2006 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by lexlow
How about with a blacked out trim, clear side markers, painted arches, no hook, difrent color and matching mirrors....a little better but, nope not convinced.

Still turbo right? not convinced

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1&d=1148673290

Good job on the photoshop. This is prob. more like what you will see if this version is in fact 90+% complete. All production test cars have black in places you most likely will not like just because it hides the lines & color would "release" the finer lines & finished product look of the vehicle (hence all of the covered up black places in spy shots that have been taken)....not so many releases on the interior progress.....but hey....they want it to be somewhat surprising! :)

resmini 07-06-2006 04:39 AM

I don't dislike it, but...it's hard to see the overall styling as an improvement over the current model. I'd probably buy one, (if I could afford to), just for the new engine and turbo).

Jahmills 07-14-2006 07:47 AM

http://motoringfile.com/pictures/R56...ilde/70108.jpg

http://motoringfile.com/pictures/R56...0105_small.jpg
http://motoringfile.com/pictures/R56_diecast_large.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...er.f34.500.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...er.r34.500.jpg

http://motoringfile.com/pictures//R56_interior_2.jpg
http://motoringfile.com/pictures/mcs_spied_2.jpg
http://motoringfile.com/pictures/mcs_spied_3.jpg

R50 Paul 07-14-2006 08:18 AM

Whoa!!!!!!!!! it looks better than I originally thought!!!!!! I thought that the tail lights were "rasied" from all those other spy photos!!!! It looks like this is the closest to production pic we got!!!:thumbsup:

dwdyer 07-14-2006 08:51 AM

The next generation MC will not have a hoodscoop.

The only thing that would bother me is if it has a hoodscoop and it's not functional. Call me old-fashioned, but unless the scoop actually does something, it's not worth having just for the looks.

-W-