Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Intermittent DSC malfunction light only

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Jeff Carson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent DSC malfunction light only

Hello,

I've got a 2008 Cooper S that has me scratching my head. Intermittently, I get the DSC malfunction (with the exclamation point) only light in the center of the center display for a second or two. It seems to happen more freqenfrequentlytly on an acceleration from a dead stop, but will also happen randomly while driving in the city, though never on the highway. I have a code "5E32 - Control unit:voltage fault,overvoltage" that stays present in the ABS system. I get no other lights and no degradation of performance as others have noted in the "trifecta" lighting situation when the wheel speed sensor goes bad. For good measure, and due to the age of the car, I replaced the wheel speed sensors just to be sure. The light remains. I see some BMW forums that call this error code a wheel speed sensor issue, and can find next to nothing for Mini specifically. Has anyone seen this code, or otherwise have a path to run on? Not sure where to start. The representative attached picture is from a BMW I realize. I swiped it from Google images, because I can't even find a picture of a mini with this light (with the exclamation) online, much less info about the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guess I can't upload an image... It is a triangle, with an exclamation point inside, circled by an arrow, with another exclamation point to the right outside the circle, all yellow.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 PM
ckev70
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff Carson
Hello,

I've got a 2008 Cooper S that has me scratching my head. Intermittently, I get the DSC malfunction (with the exclamation point) only light in the center of the center display for a second or two. It seems to happen more freqenfrequentlytly on an acceleration from a dead stop, but will also happen randomly while driving in the city, though never on the highway. I have a code "5E32 - Control unit:voltage fault,overvoltage" that stays present in the ABS system. I get no other lights and no degradation of performance as others have noted in the "trifecta" lighting situation when the wheel speed sensor goes bad. For good measure, and due to the age of the car, I replaced the wheel speed sensors just to be sure. The light remains. I see some BMW forums that call this error code a wheel speed sensor issue, and can find next to nothing for Mini specifically. Has anyone seen this code, or otherwise have a path to run on? Not sure where to start. The representative attached picture is from a BMW I realize. I swiped it from Google images, because I can't even find a picture of a mini with this light (with the exclamation) online, much less info about the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guess I can't upload an image... It is a triangle, with an exclamation point inside, circled by an arrow, with another exclamation point to the right outside the circle, all yellow.
Have you checked your battery?
Are there any other codes? Is there freeze frame data? Overvoltage is not good. It may be related to the alternator's voltage regulator

Last edited by ckev70; 02-14-2019 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mkov608 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Jeff Carson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckev70
Have you checked your battery?
Are there any other codes? Is there freeze frame data? Overvoltage is not good. It may be related to the alternator's voltage regulator
Super interesting. Thanks for the prompt! I had not even checked because the battery and alternator are both less than 6 months old. Sure enough, 15.5 at night at idle with lights and radio running. Are the voltage regulators able to be replaced separate from the alternator on these? Guess the alternator I bought was crap.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 PM
ckev70
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mini's leveraged lots of BMW technologies. See if you have the battery voltage in the hidden menu on the Mini so you can monitor it.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...stallation.htm

ECS shows a voltage regulator so i would say yes. hopefully ECS provide details on this.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-...age_regulator/