R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 AT to MT swap prep.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:15 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
it was running around 1200 rpm. with 5 stubborn codes

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Salah (assuming that is you from your youtube channel). Do you know how to open up the DME connector? I tried half an hour and cannot figure it out...

Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Yup that's me brother

I actually tried myself to get it open with no luck. I just pulled the one from the donor car and kept the original on the side for N14 swap back if i needed to. I just integrated the some wires into it and that was it. You never know when you have to go back auto, so keep it on the side for now and use the one from the donor car. Pull it from the roots (not the plug but where it terminates in the car)

Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Sorry I’m a little lost, do u have a pic? I can cut the connector and pull the wire with terminal, but how can I insert it into the r56’s connector?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:28 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I used the connector all together from the donor car.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:40 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
9/15 update. overall 1/3 is done. wire the DME (have to destroy the connector to take the wire out, but easy to put the wire back in). Had a hard time to pry out the axle on R56, removed the subframe, and took out the engine with the axles.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:51 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Engine & Transmission transferred to R56, wiring & shifter are done. Will try to start the car after trans oil fill in in couple days.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (10-20-2021)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Nice work GT350! Just assisted with coding the same swap on a later series Mini. We didn't change the cluster. Remove 205 from the VO and write it to the vehicle with NCS Expert. Then update the DME, CAS and Kombi with ISTA. That will get the vehicle to start if all the wiring is correct. I also had to update the ABS/DSC and EPS as stability control and torque steering changes were different between the auto and manual. Then had to update the PDC due to dependencies in software revisions. Ending up saying the heck with it a just updated the rest of the vehicle as well to keep my OCD side happy. We also had to wire in the zero gear switch into the BDC (CAS in R56) which is necessary for rev matching, but at least you don't have to monkey with that. Doing these kind of swaps are not for the faint of heart on newer BMW products. Kudos sir.

I've attached a text file originally named R56AT.000 from the Datens folder. If you scroll down the file each line that starts with W is followed by the various VO codes and what they are for. Some of the other codes are interesting but shouldn't be messed with. For example the VO code beginning with a # is the date of manufacture. Interesting but not really useful.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
R56AT.TXT (207.9 KB, 854 views)
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (08-28-2021)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Thanks a lot Tigger! I have no clue what did you do , haven't started to learn the coding. I kept DME, CAS and footwell module, just did the wiring for clutch padel & reserve light switch. Not sure if any other wiring needs to be modified. Am I supposed to do the same as you described? That's a lot of new learning for me

Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
You've already done the really hard part with the wrenching and wiring changes. All thats left is the fiddly bits, i.e. software. Coding and programming is not that difficult. Like most things worth knowing it just has a learning curve. Theres are some great threads in the electrical section under modifications in the Gen2 and Countryman sections . These include examples of changing the VO with NCS Expert and reprogramming various modules. Other great sources of information include bmwcoders, bimmerfest and bimmerforums.

Coding entails changing values in the existing software. Reprogramming is changing the base software the ecu is using. You will need to reprogram the DME, CAS, and KOMBI at a minimum. Probably a good idea to go ahead and do the ABS, FRM and EPS anyway though. For reprogramming you can use WinFKP. I prefer to use ISTA with an ICOM Next interface. It's not the fastest and requires an external power supply for the vehicle when used with an ICOM adapter but has given me the best results and will automatically handle coding and deal with any dependency issues. Handy on the F and G series (pita's).

There are free versions of both software packages floating around and ISTA can be configured to work with an inexpensive K+DCAN cable. However, some of the versions of ISTA and BMW Coding tools have malware or questionable ancillary software included so make sure your virus definitions are up to snuff. Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a link with a single exe install with Inpa, Ediabas, Ncs expert, Ncs dummy, Tool 32, Winkfp, Bmw coding tool 2.5 to update datens and the USB cable drivers. Way easier to install than whats in the forum. You will however need to update the datens using the included BMW Coding Tool after install.

Alternatively, there may be someone local to you that can handle the programming for you. They should be able to knock it out in an afternoon if all goes smoothly.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Did a test to start the engine, unplug the fuel fuse. Good news is engine can crank. Will try this weekend to fire it up.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:46 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
9/22 update. put most stuff back on the car, tried to turn the engine on this morning and succeeded. only ran couple sec. since no coolant in the car. Also not sure if car will run, waiting for new rotors and pads. Next week will test drive the car, also start learning coding material that Tigger sent to me (big thanks!!).

Old 10-06-2018, 07:15 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Took the engine out again last week to replace the clutch. Car is back to one piece now. Played around NCS expert today, had some progress, but stuck on the gear warning light.
What I noticed before coding by NCS expert is, if wiring is correct, car can start if both clutch & brake pedals are pressed. Another found is reverse light doesn't work.

Delete $205 AT from VO as Tiger mentioned. updated CAS & FRM via ECS expert. Car can start with only clutch pedal is pressed. Reverse light works as well. I saved the CAS (FSW_PSW) files before & after deleting $205, but found no change at all. I will drive the car tomorrow and try up/down shifting and check if any issue.

Now the problem I have is the gear warning sign & check engine light (missing transmission) are still showing on the cluster. Someone did BMW manual swap removed the warning light from INPA, but my CFGDAT folder doesn't have R56.ENG file, I am not able to select it to delete the warning light from there. Googled how to get ENG file but no luck. Will learn WinFKP next week as Tiger mentioned to reprogram the models. If anyone knows what should I do next, please help me!

Old 10-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Hey GT350,

Your getting the error because the Kombi is still looking for the auto transmission. Before updating the programming try recoding the Kombi in NCS with a blank FSW_PSW file. I'm not 100% sure on the R56 platform but that might get you where you need to be. Might also need to do the same with DSC. If you Google BMW auto to manual trans swaps you'll find quite a bit of info on using NCS/INPA to get the job done. I used these articles as the base when using E-Sys and ISTA on the F series.

Lou

Old 10-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
PM Sent. Let me know if that works better for you.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
PM Sent. Let me know if that works better for you.
hi Tigger, lost the internet this week, didn’t put much efforts on this.
It drives completely like a manual car now, but DSC warning light is on, DTC show U0101 code but engine light is off. My thought is DME is updated after removing 205 from VO. But DSC still stores automatical transmission which trigger the U0101 code. Since I cannot read DSC from NCS expert, just a thought, can’t prove it.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:17 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Give an update on the progress. Tigger helped me a lot on the coding, big thanks!

Coding completed for CAS, FRM, KOMBI

Car has 2 errors message cannot be cleared.
- 3099 for DME: no CAN message for EGS
- 5DF3 for DSC: Interface: DME/DDE signal fault, this error for MT car only
so my guess is DME is still not updated to MT, which causes confusion in DSC to light up the warning light.

Tried the following methods, none of them works.
- NCS Expert: Doesn't have DME option. DSC cannot be read.
- INPA: 1) Clear error codes, but these 2 codes cannot be cleared. 2) update transmission adaptation, someone did for BMW manual swap. INPA gives an error message when I select transmission, need to reconfigure the software I guess. and this is the next step I am trying to do.
- WinKfp: Update DME and DSC by using v63 daten file. No change at all.

Test drove the car with the 2 error messages, floor the gas, over 4500 rpm, upshift & downshift, idle rpm, all normal.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:27 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GT350
Give an update on the progress. Tigger helped me a lot on the coding, big thanks!

Coding completed for CAS, FRM, KOMBI

Car has 2 errors message cannot be cleared.
- 3099 for DME: no CAN message for EGS
- 5DF3 for DSC: Interface: DME/DDE signal fault, this error for MT car only
so my guess is DME is still not updated to MT, which causes confusion in DSC to light up the warning light.

Tried the following methods, none of them works.
- NCS Expert: Doesn't have DME option. DSC cannot be read.
- INPA: 1) Clear error codes, but these 2 codes cannot be cleared. 2) update transmission adaptation, someone did for BMW manual swap. INPA gives an error message when I select transmission, need to reconfigure the software I guess. and this is the next step I am trying to do.
- WinKfp: Update DME and DSC by using v63 daten file. No change at all.

Test drove the car with the 2 error messages, floor the gas, over 4500 rpm, upshift & downshift, idle rpm, all normal.
I recently bought two minis. 1 manual and the other auto. in an effort to fix the auto after a no start and a stubborn code, i decided to use the ECU from the manual just to see if it is ECU issue or something else. Well, the codes stayed and as a result I got these very same codes on my manual ECU now lol I'm going to reprogram it like you did and see what happens. My next move will be buying another ECU and clone it (Cloning was something I wanted to know soooo bad to the point i bought so many devices and for years i was never able to do...actually, I never knew where to start. no one shared/shares these trade secrets UNTIL by dump luck, I was able to do it...I felt like a million bux...lol...though I still cannot clone the program of the ECU).

now in your case, you have the manual ECU. I think you should try swapping the ECU, CAS, key fob to see if the codes go away for good. If that is the case, I can try to mate the manual ECU with your automatic CAS.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I recently bought two minis. 1 manual and the other auto. in an effort to fix the auto after a no start and a stubborn code, i decided to use the ECU from the manual just to see if it is ECU issue or something else. Well, the codes stayed and as a result I got these very same codes on my manual ECU now lol I'm going to reprogram it like you did and see what happens. My next move will be buying another ECU and clone it (Cloning was something I wanted to know soooo bad to the point i bought so many devices and for years i was never able to do...actually, I never knew where to start. no one shared/shares these trade secrets UNTIL by dump luck, I was able to do it...I felt like a million bux...lol...though I still cannot clone the program of the ECU).

now in your case, you have the manual ECU. I think you should try swapping the ECU, CAS, key fob to see if the codes go away for good. If that is the case, I can try to mate the manual ECU with your automatic CAS.
My next try will reset DME adaptation using INPA. got some problems to setup INPA properly, trying to fix it. one issue is control unit 'MEV17_2' not found, control unit found 'MEV17_2N' error pops up after I select engine --> N12. any idea on this issue?

I guess the VIN# has to be updated in the manual ECU using WinKfp, right? I may give a try if INPA adaptation doesn't work.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Good news and bad news. I replaced to manual ECU and changed the VIN in WinKfp, confirmed the change in INPA. Previous errors in DME and DSC are gone. yeah!!
Bad news, somewhere I guess missed to update, DME now has anti-tamper error and not allow me to start the engine.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by GT350
DME now has anti-tamper error and not allow me to start the engine.
Glad to be of help. The immobilizer is tripped since the rolling code in the DME no longer matches the code in the CAS. You could re-align the code but anti tamper dot will still be there since the mileage in the two units differ. Easiest solution is reinstalling original DME, install ISTA, run diagnostic, follow the resulting action plan that will clear errors and update coding. After that clear adaptations to re-initialize DME. During re-initialization the DME will note the EGS is no longer there and know its a manual. It should be fine after that. I've attached a picture of where you need to get in ISTA to clear the adaptations.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Glad to be of help. The immobilizer is tripped since the rolling code in the DME no longer matches the code in the CAS. You could re-align the code but anti tamper dot will still be there since the mileage in the two units differ. Easiest solution is reinstalling original DME, install ISTA, run diagnostic, follow the resulting action plan that will clear errors and update coding. After that clear adaptations to re-initialize DME. During re-initialization the DME will note the EGS is no longer there and know its a manual. It should be fine after that. I've attached a picture of where you need to get in ISTA to clear the adaptations.

I used ISTA/D to delete the adaptation without luck. My ISTA/P is acting liking up now that I needed to reprogram and code the DME.

To my understanding, the software installed in the DME is for either a Manual or Auto transmission, right? once it powers up, it is looking for these values per the SW installed. In my case, the DME is manual and I used it to trouble shoot the automatic Mini. as a result got those same exact two codes. My final attempt is to reprogram & code it using ISTAP. hopefully that does it!

Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Correct. The software in the DME is different between the auto and manual. For example:
N14 S manual DME sw# 0089SU0H910BLMD06
N14 S auto DME sw# 0089SU0H910BLAD06
N18 S manual DME sw# 0083500T850BSMHS2
N18 S auto DME sw# 0083500T850BSAHS2
The first 7 digits signify the engine and region.
The next 5 digits calibration revision.
The last 5 identify the model and trans. Example of automatics:
N14 R5x LAD06
Early N18 R5x SAFS4
Late N18 R5x SAHS2
Late N18 R6x 2WD SCHS2
Late N18 R6x AWD SDHS2

Old 10-19-2018, 03:58 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I tried ISTAP. the good is I dont have the DSC light. But, i still have the CEL for the automatic transmission missing signal. I cleared adaptations but no luck. I think my ECU is internally damaged!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I tried ISTAP. the good is I dont have the DSC light. But, i still have the CEL for the automatic transmission missing signal. I cleared adaptations but no luck. I think my ECU is internally damaged!
Did you write FA to CAS and FRM in NCS?
What is your DME software version currently?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 R56 AT to MT swap prep.