Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2008 R56 Update gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:00 AM
Kery. G
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R56 Update gone wrong

Good morning All,

I have a mini cooper 2008 R56 with the current issues:
- AC not working
- Speedometer, RPM not working
- All Warning Lights are ON
- Non of the switches work, except for the windows
- Central locking not working.
- OBD2 can not recognize any of the modules
- OBD2 can not even read the VIN number.

This all happened after doing a software update on the mini cooper using Autel MAXISYS Pro.

Long story short, I was doing a software update 15-07 dated on my mini using the programming tool of Maxisys PRO and during the update the wifi was interrupted.

This left my car with the above issues. Now when I connect the scanner it does not autoread the VIN number. Can not detect any system to diagnose for any errors.

Please share your inputs.

Thank you,
Kery

Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Were you updating all modules at the same time or what was the last module you were updating?
Where you located?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Kery. G
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Were you updating all modules at the same time or what was the last module you were updating?
Where you located?
Hi thank you for replying back.

I was updating the modules one by one and when I gained confidence that the system is working fine, I did update all.

The wifi was interrupted while it doing update for the CAS (awareness system). Now the error on the scanner is that Code C " Fail" can not restore order of CAS and other systems.

If I try to connect the scanner, I can access the program/coding but only to resume the previous update. When I do resume it takes like 2-3 hours and then finishes with FAIL on code C and the issues are all the same.

I am trying to see if anything I can do in house to resolve my issue instead of going to the dealer and get charged a lot.

I am located in CANADA / MONTREAL.

Thank you,
Kery

Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
When i killed my CAS a while back, I used winfkp to reupdate it amd it went back online...give it a try.

with winfkp you need spdatens. All should be available either here on the forum or for a small fee on ebay. You will also need the K+Dcan cable.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Kery. G
Neutral
Thank you for the tip. I will give it a try.

So basically you mean i have to :
- remove the CAS module and plug to the special plug u refer it
Which i already as per the pics below
- download wikfp
- download spadtens update u are referring

please correct if I am wrong

Old 08-13-2018, 12:37 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Winfkp connects thrugh the obd port. No need to take the CAS out.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Joseph Jones
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
When i killed my CAS a while back, I used winfkp to reupdate it amd it went back online...give it a try.

with winfkp you need spdatens. All should be available either here on the forum or for a small fee on ebay. You will also need the K+Dcan cable.
Were you able to get this sorted? If not, shoot me an email at codemyride@gmail.com. As long as you have a KDCAN cable already, I can remote in and help.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:25 AM
Kery. G
Neutral
Gents, the issue was with the Junction Box.

I wasn't able to connect to any of the on board modules on the car until I changed the junction box (300$ used part). To revise the issue I had:

While performing programming on my mini cooper R56 using Autel Maxisys, the WiFi was interrupted (which I doubt is related) since it does download all required plugins before the update commence, The update was in the 3rd hour and doing update ALL, I started getting Fail indication beside the CODE C and unable to arrange orders.

I unplugged the scanner in an attempt to do individual updates and this is where I started to have the following:
- All warning lights on
- Speedometer/odometer not working
- Fuel guage not working
- AC not working
- Sport button not working
- Central lock not working
- All switches not working except for Lights and windows which were working OK.
- Car would start normally with no issues

I plugged my scanner back and wasnt able to auto-identify my VIN number.

Manually entering the VIN, I cant access any of the diagnosis or read any of the systems,

Trying to do programming doesnt not work unless I perform continue from previous session which results in the same (CODE C Failed) and unable to rearrange order.

No other scanner was able to login, connecting it to the PC (did not try winkfp) was unsuccessful. I tried swapping the CAS with a different one and did not help either.

So I took to a mini cooper specialized mechanic and right a way he said the junction box need to be changed and the ABS module. But I insisted that the ABS is working fine so he changed the junction box and reconfigured it on the car. Everything is working fine now except for the Sport Button which I need to figure out once I have more time on the car.

I still have the junction box and wondering if any of you guys had similar issue and how to recover the junction box.

Thank you,
Kery. G

Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 AM
2008MiniS
1st Gear
I'm new here, but what is the "junction box" you are referring to? On top of my engine gremlins, when i went to push the car in the garage, the electrical system was going haywire? i though maybe the battery was dead, but it is fully charged and tested to be good with my matco battery tester. it unlocks/locks, but no door chime, when key is inserted in ignition, it does nothing, no lights in guages or anything? when i released the gear selector to put it in neutral to push it in the garage, the hatch unlocked for some weird reason? then about halfway in the garage, the doors all locked on their own, with the key in the ignition. Luckily the hatch was unlocked and my kids crawled through to unlock the doors. hoping it was a bad connection or something, but won't know until the engine is put back together?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Kery. G
Good morning All,

I have a mini cooper 2008 R56 with the current issues:
- AC not working
- Speedometer, RPM not working
- All Warning Lights are ON
- Non of the switches work, except for the windows
- Central locking not working.
- OBD2 can not recognize any of the modules
- OBD2 can not even read the VIN number.

This all happened after doing a software update on the mini cooper using Autel MAXISYS Pro.

Long story short, I was doing a software update 15-07 dated on my mini using the programming tool of Maxisys PRO and during the update the wifi was interrupted.

This left my car with the above issues. Now when I connect the scanner it does not autoread the VIN number. Can not detect any system to diagnose for any errors.

Please share your inputs.

Thank you,
Kery
Sadly the interrupt corrupted the ecm and when you do this, you need to use a 90 amp battery charger and a very stable internet connection. it is risky at best. It may have toasted the ecm. (it is why I never do this and I have the same system as you.) I pay the dealer, so they take responsibility, if internet connection fails.