R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "Limited slip differential where are you?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
"Limited slip differential where are you?"

This is for those of you who like to ***** about stuff, are more logical than me and can kick up some dirt on the forum.

I posted before about rebuilding my engine. When I took the engine out I had in mind to install a locking differential. I hate the torque steer and we have mountains here - why not?

After the immense investment in time and foul language getting the engine out, I looked for the video to show me how to install a locking differential. Nothing. One video and I didn't get it. I discovered a shop that was immaculate and they have worked on every transmission possible. I took the transmission to these guys in North Denver - the cleaned it thoroughly, installed my new WaveTrac unit, plus bearings and seals. For about $400. And gave me back the old parts in a box and took pix of the inside of the transmission. Ready to go. Done deal. Two days.

Here's the problem. I bought my Mini new from Schomp in Colorado. I ordered a limited slip differential for $500. It wasn't in the transmission. What was there was an ordinary, "open" differential. Who knew.

I've contacted the dealer and they of course are treating me like I'm an idiot and since they didnt' fix the problem (who would have ever known there was a problem inside the transmission which isn't broken) they will not reimburse me for the repairs. They won't even refund me the $500 for the original part.

Here is what their charges could be for repairing the missing part.
$3500 to remove the engine + parts and labor to open up the transmission or $4000~ for a rebuilt transmission with a LSD installed.

If this were any of you what course of action would you take. I've contacted the dealer and I have the responses which I won't bore you with unless someone wants to read them. (email me). They don't want to reimburse me. They want to connect with a rep at Mini and have them look into the matter.

It's no one's fault in particular. Who knows the tech at Mini that can't read the build order? It's a "hidden" defect and I paid for it.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
What does the window sticker show? I think there was an “electronic” differential option available... The electronic diff has an open differential in the gearbox, and uses electronic wizardry to control wheel locking.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I thought all R56 had just the electric diff thing, and that an actual LSD was not available from factory. I could be wrong tho.

Didn't you notice the lack of LSD while driving?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
So would assume you have either an 08 or an 09 as thinking MINI went with eLSD for the 2010 model year?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I had a r56s and ordered it with a real lsd. Can you post pictures of the LSD? factory units look like open diffs but they are not, it is hard to tell them apart

the center will look like a regular open diff with spider gears, the LSD part is on the inside of the housing on the outer edge

Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited slip differential where are you

The s@les doc just says limited slip differential. I would have never known what it was supposed to feel like or if it worked. I know the differential is nothing special. It’s just a black metal thing with a gear and a hole in the middle.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
you just take the last 7 of the vin and run it through a vin decoder it will tell you if the build has a LSD

a open diff and a OEM lsd look almost identical, you really cannot tell them apart unless you have an open diff and a oem lsd side by side, if you cant figure it out I can take some pictures of an open diff tonight.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:28 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
this site describes how it works, and as you can see from the picture the LSD part (in yellow) is on the outside inner edge of the housing, very hard to see looking at one, it'll look just like an open diff with open spider gears

http://www.arstechnica.de/index.html...ten/super.html

Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
a open diff and a OEM lsd look almost identical, you really cannot tell them apart unless you have an open diff and a oem lsd side by side, if you cant figure it out I can take some pictures of an open diff tonight.
^this is true. Here's a pic of the factory LSD (R53) and Quaife LSD side by side from when I replaced it on my car. Crown wheel already on the Quaife.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Differential Pics

Here are some pics of the differential. If you have a moment to assist me to identify this part that would be terrific. LSD or Open?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My '08 says limited slip differential installed as an optional piece when using the last seven of the VIN.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited slip differential

My VIN indicates the same thing as well. However I recall that with the front wheels off the ground they rotated in opposite directions. Which indicates not a LSD. I could be wrong and now that the old diff is in a box I'll have to play with it or get another opinion. All i have are the pix. DR

Old 06-21-2018, 11:22 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
07 and '08 were the only years the mechanical diff was an option. When decoding my VIN once of the things listed is: "S2TAA SPERRDIFERENTIAL Differential lock 25%" I also know I have the diff as when doing a burn out both tires put rubber down. I can't seem to find a good pick of it, but it's a GKN Driveline Super LSD. Same diff as was factory in the Mazdaspeed3.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
LImited slip

I moved the gears in the differential. The wheels would be moving in opposite directions which would indicate that its an open differential. Unless I'm wrong.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited Diffferential

I read up on these things and the indicator was the visual of the wheels either turning in the same direction or in opposite directions. I wish I had a better pic of the actual device with all numbers on the castings. I haven't found it yet. When the wheels move in opposite directions you have a regular, open differential. That's all I know.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Some Torsen type LSD units will spin opposite directions under that test... Typically, only the clutch type LSD units will spin same direction, or the units that have some pre-loading.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by danraabe
However I recall that with the front wheels off the ground they rotated in opposite directions. Which indicates not a LSD. R
this is not true for the LSD mini was using

Old 06-21-2018, 01:32 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited slip

Then I'm missing something. I posted pix of the unit. I can't see inside. The dealer i bitched at wants me to drive the car over to them to make sure it actually has a transmission. They want to see the parts I installed/ or the one that came out of the transmission.

The engine is at one end of the earth and the transmission is on the garage floor.

You said you have a LSD. Do you have pix? I don't know what to make of this.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
FWIW, this vendor in the UK sold a transmission with part# 2850057200 (like in your photo) and had listed it as LSD:
https://picclick.co.uk/Mini-R52-R53-...180372146.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152180372146

Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
LImited slip

But is it actually an LSD. I spoke to a tech today who offered to send me a pic of an open differential. He said they look the same. I'll post it side by side.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by danraabe
But is it actually an LSD.
You mean the eBay listing? It's possible that it was a scam and not limited slip differential as claimed, but I don't see a reason to doubt it either. I'm just saying that this item was sold as LSD, and it had the same part number as in your photo.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:39 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
This is a open diff, came out of my 05 r53, I replaced it with a OEM lsd
https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/2018...2252664-X4.jpg

Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited slip

Thanks. Looks a bit different than the one I pulled out of the trans. Well, the fight will be on when I take this to MINI. BTW what are the numbers on the reverse side? It's an R53 however, the part could have changed.

I'll let Mini prove to me that what I extracted is an LSD. Love the acronym. It meant something different when Mini's were mini.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
That is actually the factory 25% LSD. It looks like an open diff, but it is the actual factory LSD.

I would replace with a Quaife as it works much better.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/quaife...ferential.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Limited Slip

Thanks Way. You are ruining my plans to make a big deal out of this with the dealer. Tell me this. I scoured the internet for a way to determine if the LSD is working. Clearly the test was if the wheels turned in opposite directions indicating an open differential. My wheels turn in opposite directions.

Now that I opened this can of worms with the dealer I may have to back off. I was really adamant with them that the differential wasn't what they said it is supposed to be.

DR

Quick Reply: R56 "Limited slip differential where are you?"