R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "Limited slip differential where are you?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:20 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
as I said above, that test DOES NOT WORK with this type of LSD

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 AM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like an apology to the dealer is in order.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by danraabe
Thanks Way. You are ruining my plans to make a big deal out of this with the dealer. Tell me this. I scoured the internet for a way to determine if the LSD is working. Clearly the test was if the wheels turned in opposite directions indicating an open differential. My wheels turn in opposite directions.

Now that I opened this can of worms with the dealer I may have to back off. I was really adamant with them that the differential wasn't what they said it is supposed to be.

DR
Factory was a clutch type LSD. Eventually the clutch can wear out and it will behave like an open diff.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Well, the fight will be on when I take this to MINI.
I'll let Mini prove to me that what I extracted is an LSD.
And if it turns out to be an LSD, they would be in their right to charge you for performing this service that you requested.

Last edited by rkw; 06-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks Way. You are ruining my plans to make a big deal out of this with the dealer. Tell me this. I scoured the internet for a way to determine if the LSD is working. Clearly the test was if the wheels turned in opposite directions indicating an open differential. My wheels turn in opposite directions.
That's what happens with the oem LSD; wheels turn in opposite directions when up in the air. Still lays rubber with both wheels. And goes better on ice and snow than the Quaife I have now.

And comparing yours with the pic of my oem LSD (which I posted earlier) they look identical.

Sorry to be part of ruining your plans...

Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by bratling

Factory was a clutch type LSD. Eventually the clutch can wear out and it will behave like an open diff.
no it's not, it is NOT a clutch type, I posted the diagram earlier in the thread.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
no it's not, it is NOT a clutch type, I posted the diagram earlier in the thread.
You mean this link: http://www.arstechnica.de/index.html...ten/super.html

I thought it was called a cone clutch LSD? Anyway, the cone does wear. It's not fit-and-forget like a torsen type LSD (eg. Quaife).

Old 06-25-2018, 06:18 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by JKo
You mean this link: http://www.arstechnica.de/index.html...ten/super.html

I thought it was called a cone clutch LSD? Anyway, the cone does wear. It's not fit-and-forget like a torsen type LSD (eg. Quaife).
yeah it's a metal toothed ring around both outer sides, I've never seen a post where someone managed to wear that metal out

I have seen where someone broke the tabs off, reverting it to an open diff

The following users liked this post:
JKo (06-25-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 06:59 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you sell this item to someone else and sold it to someone else? Its ended up to me, i just bought the same and compare to this number stamped and matched the number that i bought, my question is is it LSD? Like many other comments when you spin the other spin backwards and so with the axle that i bought.
im confused and stressing whether i install it or just buy a real and after-market LSD.

Last edited by drea-min; 08-04-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Here are some pics of the differential. If you have a moment to assist me to identify this part that would be terrific. LSD or Open?

Did you sold your old (LSD) to anyone on NAM, i just bought samilar and same exact number that stamped on the parts, wiuld it be coincidence the manufarcturer produced all sama numbers for identifications, everything exact number (all)
im in doubt if it OEM LSD whereas when i spin the other side spin the opposite direction.
Can someone identify if its True OEM LSD?
The person i bought it from says it came from ‘05 JCW and insist its LSD ( factory) Im ready to bolt the trans casing together but i can hold and wait for other comments.

Last edited by drea-min; 08-04-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 08-05-2018, 10:58 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
"Limited slip differential where are you?"

That's the mystery isn't it. This gizmo looks nothing like the Wavetrac I just installed. My only option now is to take it to the guys who rebuilt my transmission, get an opinion, then go to the dealer. According to Way (posted below) this is actually the factory LSD. Looks wimpy. Works like an open differential. Who knows. Just make sure if you use the unit you purchased, that you install new bearings and races. I got mine from Mini Mania but here is the bearing number attached as well...

Old 08-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You have or did have a have a factory LSD. They were electronically controlled and not a locked all the time LSD. That’s why you could jack up and spin the wheels and they would not be in sync going the same way. I had a factory LSD and mine looked the same as yours and did the same thing. I am sorry to say ou are going to have to eat crow if you keep pushing this with the dealership because you don’t know how the OEM LSD worked. It was not a true 100 % locked LSD. It looked exactly like and open diff when driving all the time but if you got on it or tried to do a linelock burnout the ECU locked the diff and you had posi traction. That is the difference

I replaced my MINI LSD with a OS GIKEN superlocker clutch plate LSD and the difference is night and day when I am at places like the Dragon.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:42 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Thanks all for the responses. I invested in a WaveTrac and I'll be eager to see what difference it makes driving here in Colorado. Right now I'm waiting for the engine to be finished. Anyone have an opinion on cams. I am thinking of installing cat cams but I have to wait for them to arrive, maybe end of August. I opted in for CP pistons and rods, and 1mm oversized valves. The transmission is done, axels rebuilt, starter and alternator rebuilt, radiator and intercooler boiled out and pressure tested, new vacuum pump and vacuum controller, fuel pump, water pump, oil pump, timing chain, injectors, valve cover, plus my rebuilt KO4 turbo and a updated tune. Also had the clutch rebuilt to a 300 foot/lb spec. I also had a 3" exhaust which I always suspected of leaking because I could smell exhaust. I found a gizmo online that connects the down pipe to the exhaust pipe properly and hope it solves the problem. DR

Old 08-06-2018, 04:44 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
the ecu does not control the diff on an r53, it's automatic when there is wheel slip the torque presses against the beveled gears on the outside of the housing

are you selling your OEM LSD? why does it look like one of the 4 beveled gear tabs is broken & sticking out the side on the last picture, at the 10'oclock position?

Old 07-31-2019, 03:48 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone happen to have the 2nd gen ediff part# handy?

Old 08-29-2019, 03:43 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
2nd Gen part #

Originally Posted by dez
Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone happen to have the 2nd gen ediff part# handy?
I don't think this particular part has a part number as Mini doesn't think these transmissions should be rebuilt.

Not sure if the part number stamped on the gizmo is the actual part #.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:14 AM
Mats Froyen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you take it apart?
here is the LSD open.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Laup99
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mats Froyen

Why don't you take it apart?
here is the LSD open.
Hi, do you have any more pics of the torn down OEM LSD? Is it possible to rebuild one of these - can the parts be bought?