Mini Cooper cylinder number and firing order - North American Motoring

R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Cooper cylinder number and firing order

Old 05-15-2018, 04:11 AM
2nd Gear

Mini Cooper cylinder number and firing order

Since it seems to be difficult to find this information anywhere in these forums, I wanted to start a thread with this title to help those of us who are still uncertain!

I'm working on an engine rebuild for my daughter's R56.

Based on what I have seen, the cylinder numbers start from the timing chain side with 1-2-3-4. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about the firing order either but I know it's not 1-2-3-4!

Can several people confirm both of these please? For me and for others in the future?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoday View Post
Since it seems to be difficult to find this information anywhere in these forums, I wanted to start a thread with this title to help those of us who are still uncertain!

I'm working on an engine rebuild for my daughter's R56.

Based on what I have seen, the cylinder numbers start from the timing chain side with 1-2-3-4. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about the firing order either but I know it's not 1-2-3-4!

Can several people confirm both of these please? For me and for others in the future?

Thanks!
Yes, typically, cylinder count starts at the front, or timing chain, side of the engine.

Usually, 4-cylinder engines have a firing order of 1-3-4-2
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
Yes, typically, cylinder count starts at the front, or timing chain, side of the engine.

Usually, 4-cylinder engines have a firing order of 1-3-4-2
^Correct, double checked it in the Bentley manual. It would be tough to get the plugs connected wrong, though - not like the old days with a distributor and plug wires.